M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Nav Blues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007 | 12:30 PM

ML Nav Blues

I'm trying not to sound to upset, but I love my 2003 ML500. Unfortunately I've got a navigation problem. After going to the stealership and being told something needed to be replaced ($1100.00). I'm suddenly falling out of love. Seems to me Benz could do a better job with the command issues especially since there are so many portable nav units that could take the place of theirs and do a better job. I'm going to buy a portable Cobra or Garmin or sundial or something. Oh well, just wanted to vent, besides the direction on my overhead panel just went out
Old 11-20-2007 | 12:33 PM
Almost a Member!

01 ML320
Follow the herd of ML forum members who have updated their MCS with a far superior aftermarket headunit and they have not looked back.
Old 11-20-2007 | 12:57 PM

Thanks, good advice.

I've invested a lot in this car and really want to keep it. I've seen some great looking upgrades on this forum. Are there any preferred, cost is not a problem?
Old 11-20-2007 | 09:05 PM

2011 E550 4 Matic, 2000 ML430
Pioneer AVIC-D3, AVIC-Z2 or Panasonic Strada seem to be the favorites out there. Each have their goods and others. I have yet to see one I would rate as the best out there if money was no object. If Pioneer makes a Z3 and takes all of the good of the D3 and puts it with the HDD based Z2, then you can have a killer unit. Panasonic needs to redo their Bluetooth and not sure if they can play IPOD Video. Don't know anything of the Eclipse. In any case the new Nav's are all awesome!
Old 11-21-2007 | 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG
i'm not a fan of portable navi...
1) potential theft issues if u forget to hide it...
2) features/specs don't come close to aftermarket HU navi

i bought refurb AVIC-D1 from eBay at about half price...
no issues whatsoever so far and far better than MCS or portable navi...

1st, STFF and pick the navi model u like...
2nd, search eBay or online shops that offer at best price...
Old 11-21-2007 | 03:10 PM

2012 E550 Convertible, 2009 Audi Q5 3.2
I had a problem with the Nav unit in my ML500... the DVD drive needed to be replaced. It is actually the drive and the NAV brains in one unit I think. I paid $600 or so, replaced the drive and all was well. Not leaving well enough alone though, I located a 2004+ MCS unit with the SAT button and bought a MB Sirius receiver on eBay. Long story short, I have a great working MCS with Sirius, Nav, voice control, cd changer, and the factory bluetooth adapter in the console cradle. It is so nice to be able to tap the voice control and say "Nav" and it changes or "dial home" and it calls. With a little careful research and looking on eBay, you can find all the parts you need at substantially less than the dealer. Send me a private message and I will share my non-eBay sources. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2007 | 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat7
Pioneer AVIC-D3, AVIC-Z2 or Panasonic Strada seem to be the favorites out there. Each have their goods and others. I have yet to see one I would rate as the best out there if money was no object. If Pioneer makes a Z3 and takes all of the good of the D3 and puts it with the HDD based Z2, then you can have a killer unit. Panasonic needs to redo their Bluetooth and not sure if they can play IPOD Video. Don't know anything of the Eclipse. In any case the new Nav's are all awesome!
Thanks for the info
Old 11-21-2007 | 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MJ50
i'm not a fan of portable navi...
1) potential theft issues if u forget to hide it...
2) features/specs don't come close to aftermarket HU navi

i bought refurb AVIC-D1 from eBay at about half price...
no issues whatsoever so far and far better than MCS or portable navi...

1st, STFF and pick the navi model u like...
2nd, search eBay or online shops that offer at best price...
Thanks, I'm actually checking out the AVIC-D1 and I had'nt thought about the portable nav being an issue. I live in Chicago, so I'll be rethinking that.
Thanks again.