M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Part of rear bumper fell off... help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Part of rear bumper fell off... help!

My mom has a 2002 ML320... and a peice of the rear bumper must have fell off when we were driving through town. I'll show you a picture of what i mean...

Old 12-22-2004, 01:27 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
What is this thing and how do we go about replacing it? its still under warranty and currious if it will covor it..
Old 12-22-2004, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
It looks like the cover to the left rear tow hook. If you talk nice to your

service manager, it should be covered. It's not a small matter to knock that piece off. She may have hit something or someone may have nit her. Was the vehicle serviced lately? My suspicion is that it may not be as inexpensive a piece as it looks since the paint on the replacement has to match the existing body color. These kinds of trim pieces are usualy stocked already painted. Let's know how you make out.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:47 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
This morning, i was leaving the house, and noticed this weird black plastic thing sitting in the ditch, i picked it up, and low and behold, its the plastic peice that broke off... its just 2 of the 3 metal clips are bent.. and my dad was trying to bend it back, but its like very tuff steel... so when my dad was backing the trailer off, when the trailer hit the bumper by accident, it must have snapped it out and broke the metal part of it...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I believe they use spring steel for that part. It's extremely difficult to

deform permanently, especially a short piece. I don't see why he should even try to bend it. If it came off, it wasn't because it was bent. it's more like the plastic bymper gave. Try to reinstall it as is. if it's not firm enough, look at the plastic receiver where the clips go into. If the plastic has some permanent deformation, figure out which way to ben the clips in order to get a good firm assembly. Once you figure that out, use a pair of pliers to deform the clips and reinstall. keep deforming the clips until you get a good "grip".
Old 12-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Not that expensive..I had purchased a replacement one for about $29 or so..

I had a slight hit on my rear bumper 2 years back, fortunately, only that little piece took the hit...

There is nothing like color coding/matching it...mine is a brilliant silver ML. They just gave me a prepainted brilliant silver bumper cap as replacement.

This is how it could fall off..if you leave it unlatched from the bumper (which my friend did after replacing his spare tire - his was the center cap, he just forgot to latch it back in place) and drive the truck off, the wind forces will cause the latching mechanism to break, and the cap will fall off.

Fortunately, its the piece on the cap that usually breaks not the one on the bumper, so replacing it is a simply DIY.

Last edited by mihir_d; 12-22-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:14 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Since its under warranty, can the dealership just send me another one in alabaster white? the metal part.. is um, non existant with the plastic peice... so it wont go back on.. and it looks ugly driving this thing around with a part of the bumper not there...
Old 12-23-2004, 05:41 AM

The peice that is missing in your picture is called the left toe hook cover. On all the newer mclasses the cover does not have any metal on it, only the trailer hitch cover has metal clips. The toe hook covers have three plastic legs that fit in the bumper and then you snap the top in. Autogunner.