M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs

We would like to make available some information about paint protection film, some tips on maintenance and how to search out professional dealers for the MB community.

As quality of film makes a tremendous difference in the way it looks after an installation, it is only one of three ingredients for a "clear" install. The 2nd would be the installation quality and third is the design of the clear bra kits.

For the 6 years we have been in the paint protection film industry, we have used and tested every single film manufacturer on the market. Below are our opinions of each:

Films on the Market:

3M - 1st generation film had many fading issues, which prompted an upgrade in early 2004. The film still uses the same urethane, but a clearer adhesive. The old film also received many complaints about "orange peel" texture that made the film very visible on darker colored vehicles. 3M's new film is clearer, but is still behind in strength and clarity. 5 Yr Warranty

Avery - Film generally fades w/in 1yr and customer service is poor. The company has all, but fallen off the face of the paint protection industry.

Clearshield - Film's quality is very similar to 3M's 1st generation film. Tends to yellow and crack in 2-3 yrs. Similar to 3M's 1st gen film, 90% of the adhesives will remain on paint when film is removed. 5 Year Warranty.

Llumar (CP Films) is one of the clearer films on the market. Customer service is lacking. Film's quality does not reject environmental oxidation, bird droppings, and other chemicals as well as 3M and Venture. The film is not OE approved. Lifetime Warranty

Venture - film's clarity along w/ its patented acrylic adhesives make it the clearer film. Excellent customer service and film looks great on all colors - even black. The film has been tested by Nissan against 3M. The test results showed 3M's film punctured when a 9lb prove was used while Venture's did not break until 20lbs of pressure was applied. Film is approved by Ferrari, Nissan, Infiniti, Dodge, GM and several others. Lifetime Warranty

INSTALLATION & SOFTWARE DESIGN
Film's quality is only as good as the installation. Searching out a good installer is not an easy task as many companies make outrageous claims of experience and expertise. The most important thing is to see what type of coverage you will get and whether or not it will be in one piece especially for the front bumper. Companies that use 1 piece for bumpers are generally more skilled at paint protection film installations, while software designers such as Clearshield, Invicashield, and Stongard (not so much as the first two) created these kits for the beginner installer.

Below are some tips to searching out good installers:
-what type of software do they use. This will dictate their skill level as companies utilizing the 3 softwares above are used to having these kits come in multiple pieces for ease of installation.
-how detailed oriented are they........you will have to pick up these little signs while talking with the company or installer
-how long have they been installing paint protection
-are they certified? although certification is not a pre-req for being a professional installer, it does show that they received some type of training.
-can they do custom work with one piece of film. This is generally meant for those with aftermarket bumpers or would like to have certain areas wrapped that is not computer generated designs.
-if they do custom work, do they cut on the vehicle? There are two ways of working custom applications:
a. Template drawn and designed for the vehicle and plotted on a cutting board.
b. Film installed on the car and trimmed on the car. We do use this method quite often and it is highly recommended that the installer know what he is doing when trimming on the car. The technician must be skilled at such trimming because too much pressure will cut into the paint. Although, we do this type of installation very often and have never damaged the paint surface, the general market technicians have yet to be experienced enough to trim on the vehicle and not damage the paint..........
-Ask to see if they use a heat gun to "soften" the material during installation. This is often a technique used by those not familiar w/ proper stretching of material...........usage of heat gun to stretch material could easily result in stretch marks forming.............this goes back to experience
-Take a look at their work or better yet, ask the locals about their reputation.
-Whenever a technician makes outrageous or exaggerated claims such as being the "best".......it would be advised that such claims is not backed by any type of proof or statistics.

FAQ
1. Will it yellow, bubble or crack over time? Depends on the film (Venture comes with a Lifetime Warranty from yellowing, bubbling, and cracking)
2. Can it be washed and waxed? Yes, to maintain the film, it is meant to be waxed and washed 2 wks after installation.
3. When my car gets dirty, the line on the hood is more visible. What can I do about it? Wash the vehicle and use a wet q-tip and run it along the edge and this will clean up the dirt or wax build-up
4. If I ever remove the film, will there be a two-tone effect? No, 3m & Venture are UV stable and allow the rays to penetrate; therefore, there will not be any 2-toning if film is ever removed.
5. Would the paint get stripped if I remove the film after a few yrs? The film is OE paint safe.
6. Can I repaint my bumper and put a film on right away? Yes, you can, but you risk having the paint get pulled off if it is removed later. The recommended new paint curing time is 30-60 days before clear bra application
7. From my local clear bra installer, they say Venture is easier to install. Well yes and no. Yes, it is easier to install due to its elasticity, but that doesn't mean the quality of install will be ideal. In actuality, the film is more difficult to work with to bring out a truly invisible installation because the film is so clear.........it does not hide any type of installation flaw. While companies like 3m, Clearshield and Avery has some orange peel texture, it helps hide some of the installation imperfections.
8. I have heard that Venture is a cheaper product price wise? Not true, Venture costs about 15% more than 3M.
9. Why do you charge more than these other guys? Our company was founded with one idea in mind - "Perfection is Our Standard". We truly believe that you get what you pay for and we provide our clientele with excellence in installation, warranty, and service. It is easy to make a quick buck in business, but to keep a life-long relationship with our customers is the challenge. We focus on the future and the longevity of our services.
10. How long does it take to install a full kit? We are typically done with the actual installation between 1.5-2.5 hrs for a full kit. The standard in this industry goes anywhere from 4 hrs to 6hrs........there are reports of overnight installs.
11. I don't like to see the line on the hood, can you cover the entire hood? Yes, we can. We are one of several companies in the U.S. that has Venture film large enough to wrap entire hoods as well as entire panels.

Hopefully, this thread will be helpful for those wondering about getting a clear bra for your vehicles. Our company is exclusively mobile and can travel to anywhere in the world (except for the Middle East ) for group buys. If anyone is interested in setting up a group buy for your area or would like a quote, please feel free to email us at: sales@premiermobilegroup.com or call us directly at 510-390-6920.
-we reply to all of our email inquiries within 24hrs.

Attached are some images of vehicles we wrap on a daily basis:
Attached Thumbnails Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-115-1535_img.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-113-1398_img.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-113-1400_img.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-115-1534_img.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-112-1250_img.jpg  

Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

996, 997, Gt3
Attached Thumbnails Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-p1120015.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-p1120006.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-p1120009.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-p1120015.jpg  
Old 01-31-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Thanks, very informative. I have a couple of questions:

I just purchased a new ML500 Sport and had an installer do the full front using the 3M film from X-pel Automotive. The installer did a great job and I'm quite happy with the work. He, however, did not instruct me to wash and wax within the first 2-weeks. It's winter now and I would like to know if I've done irreversible damage to the film.

Secondly, the pieces that go on the round fog lamps of the ML500 Sport (same bumper as the ML55) started crimpling the first day I turned the fogs on them. The film was fine but the adhesive behind the film couldn't handle the heat from the fogs. Eventually I peeled them off because the adhesive started to burn - yes, it began to turn black!!! No damage done. But I'd like to know what alternatives I have. Is the venture film adhesive capable of handling the heat from the ML's round fogs? I really want to protect them becasue they are the lowest glass pieces on the vehicle. Any information will be most helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Banned

Darkmann,

He, however, did not instruct me to wash and wax within the first 2-weeks. It's winter now and I would like to know if I've done irreversible damage to the film.
-It really depends on what was the film exposed to (e.g. bird droppings, bug guts, etc.). The film's properties does provide some protection from the environment, but is still susceptible to damage from external factors. What you should do is clean off the film and look for hazing or fading. Apply some wax over areas that seem to be hazing and see if it polishes off w/ an orbital buffer (do not use high-speed if not experienced w/ it).

Take a look at the film and see what types of imperfections you see.

As for your fogs, in the 6 yrs of ppf installations, we have never seen it "burn" or turn black. However, if the film was applied w/ alcohol and the alcohol was not squeegeed out properly while the lens is on, the film could shrink or shrivel......this is what could happen. As for the adhesion failure, we have never seen it happen. We install fog and headlamp protection on a daily basis.....so this would be the first account of it happening.

I wonder though............what was the thickness of the film on the fogs? We have seen some of the 3M's headlight protection film @ 20mils thickness crack and creep from the headlamp's heat.

Can you take some pics and email it to us? - sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 AM

ML
I really haven't been through any serious stuff with the truck so there is no defect on the film that I can even see. I run the truck through the no touch wash every so often but have not yet towelled the paint. As soon as i get some warm weather out, I'll wax it. If it doesn't get warm soon, then I'll just have it done professionally. Problem is that I don't want them to buff mechanically on my new paint!!! As for the film thickness, I'll have to get back to you on that - I'm not sure what's on the truck is the thickness advertised on X-pel's site. I'll have to verify with the installer.

Anyway, I have a pic or two of the truck and the fogs. Notice the "hot' spots showing burnt adhesive. Note also that the film is in perfect shape. The adhesive just bubbled under the heat and over a very short time of usage, it began to burn. That's when I took them off the fogs. I just noticed that the pic of the film looks like nipples!!!

Let's hope these pics post OK.

Last edited by Darkmann; 02-02-2005 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Pictures won't upload onto message!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Beware!!!!!

BE CAUTIOUS, this PRODUCT IS PURE GARBAGE!!!!!!

If you want to see some real world applications of this junk let me know and I will email you the photos. PURE JUNK, JUNK, JUNK, JUNK...............
Old 02-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Please do post pics. Quality of installation is not universal and should not be generalized as such. Likely, your experience in the past were issues of installation and this brings us back to the point of technician's experience and skill level.

Similar to window tint, majority of tints on the market have bubbles, creases, dust, debris and other imperfections that make the film very visible. However, there are the few companies on the market that can produce "clean" and desirable results..........these are the companies that generally charge more. This is where we are today due to proper training and knowledge of paint protection film installations. Please do not place us into the same category as the "hacks" on the market....thank you.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:32 PM

ML
You probably had some bad experience due to poor installation. I don't necessarilly

Originally Posted by StephenK
BE CAUTIOUS, this PRODUCT IS PURE GARBAGE!!!!!!

If you want to see some real world applications of this junk let me know and I will email you the photos. PURE JUNK, JUNK, JUNK, JUNK...............
agree that it's pure junk. I have had mine now foe only a few months and I have to say that except for the issue with the fogs, it's worked very well. Dirt and bugs sem to just slide off the film - don't know whether or not they are designed to do this, but it works well on mine, for now. I won't be able to give a full assessment until about a year from now. Please post pics of what you're talking about. I'm really interested. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Banned

We are constantly on tour to certain metro cities. For those interested in either flying our best techs out or setting up a group buy for a certain location and date, please feel free to contact us directly for more information.

REFERENCES:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10096

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...&highlight=bra

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153528

http://davepaden.net/z/clearbra/default.htm

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44750

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50417

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ewpost&t=10284

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142109

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153151

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45094

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...294#post983294

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&postid=217473

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...hreadid=139049

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...&highlight=bra

Tour schedule:
March 17-23 Los Angeles / Orange County
March 25-April 2 New York / New Jersey
April 20-25 Los Angeles / Orange County / San Diego

For those interested in our services, please email (sam@premiermobilegroup.com) or call us directly. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

Update to Tour Schedule:

May 2-9 New York / New Jersey
April 20-27 Los Angeles / Orange County
Old 05-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

NY / NJ TOUR SCHEDULE UPDATE - JUNE 8-17

Please contact me directly for more information - sam@premiermobilegroup.com

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Banned

We will once again be touring the San Diego / OC areas between July 20-26th. For those interested in being added to our list, please contact us directly - sales@premiermobilegroup.com or at 510-390-6920.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 AM
Banned

Update to Tour Schedule

Austin, TX - Aug 25-29th
Southern California Tour - Sept 14th-18th
Old 09-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Banned

More Pics of our work
Attached Thumbnails Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-6.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-1.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-1.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-b.jpg   Transaprent Paint Protection Film Tips / Maintenance / Faqs-4.jpg  

Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Banned

Update to Tour Schedule

Austin, TX - Aug 25-29th - Completed

Southern California Tour
*September 14th: San Diego
*September 15th-18th: LA / OC
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned

Although, we are based out of the San Francisco Bay, we travel all over the world for group installs. There is a minimum of 10 vehicles for domestic tours and 20 for international tours. Please contact us for more information or if you would like to be an organizer of an event.

TOUR SCHEDULE

Austin, TX - Aug 25-29th - Completed
San Diego - September 14th - Completed
LA / OC - September 15th-18th - Completed
San Diego: Oct 28th - Completed
LA / OC - Oct 29th-31st - Completed
Las Vegas - Nov 1-3 - Completed

LAST TOUR OF 2005

San Diego / OC - Dec 8-11 (for inquiries and bookings, please email us directly - sales@premiermobilegroup.com)