M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ML350 DONT CHANGE GEAR GO TO SERVICE STATION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014 | 04:02 PM

ML350
2006 ML350 DONT CHANGE GEAR GO TO SERVICE STATION

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2006 ML350 and with the storm today encountered a problem that I can’t find any answers online to. We had a snowstorm and about 6 inches fell. I went to clear my car and move it to clear a path so when the snow melts and refreezes won’t be an issue. (I have done this many times with previous SUV not an issue).
In any case when I started the car and reversed upon changing gears to drive BAM red warning-"DO NOT CHANGE GEAR DRIVE TO NEAREST SERVICE STATION". I could not change the gears and of course now I’m stuck in one gear "drive" (in the city with small parking spaces you would not be able to get out unless you can use both "D" and "R").
Turn the car off and waited a few minutes, that did the trick and it reset. But again upon changing gears same thing. Rinse and repeated and once again same result. I did not want to temp fate and left the car parked in the space it was in.
Question: Anyone experience this before?
What is the cause of this issue or possible cause? And lastly what is approximate cost to fix said cause?

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-03-2014 | 07:31 PM

W164
Red face Gear Shifter Selector

Sounds like it's the transmission gear selector thing. I forget the proper MB name for it right now, but it's the computer that's bolted to the side of the transmission that switches the gears.

Unfortunaltely it has to go the dealer for this, or at least the part has to be bought from the dealer and VIN coded to your vechicle by them.

Cost for the part (if I remember correctly) is about $500.

Hope this bad news helps a little.
Old 01-03-2014 | 11:08 PM

ML350
TY

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

Is there a reason it drives fine on clean roads. But on the snow it triggers this message?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2014 | 11:14 PM

W164
Originally Posted by sat123
Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

Is there a reason it drives fine on clean roads. But on the snow it triggers this message?

Thanks
Probably not related. Mine did the same thing a couple of times before it failed completely. Once it failed, I had to get the truck towed to the local MB dealer. Cost me $2k and I had removed the part myself and did all the diag. No wonder everyone calls them the stealer.

The message pops up when the unit is unable to shift the transmission into the needed gear. I don't think they're related.

NMG
Old 01-03-2014 | 11:24 PM

W164
Lightbulb ISM

I remembered. It's proper name is ISM or Intelligent Servo Module. MB calls it a 'theft relevant part' - thus it needs to be VIN coded. Part number should be something like A 000 270 16 52.

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2014 | 07:29 PM

ml 320 cdi/ lexus V8 soarer
I had that message a few times before the ISM failed , it can fail in park (mine did) all wheels locked , cant even get it onto a flatbed , MB have to come out to you and fit there free wheel kit to move it , MB workshop said the message is a sign its about to fail.
Pity they do not put a small lever on the outside of the ISM so at least you could get underneath and flick it into neutral even drive to get you home . infact go back to the rod connection like most manufacturers.
Just to add i asked the service manager is this going to happen again as we were stuck on a main road for 5 hours , his answer "yes it could but we have plenty in stock and you are covered with our warranty" ...................plenty in stock is a worry.
Old 01-06-2014 | 07:15 PM

ML350
towed

Finally got the car towed to the dealership. Called MBUSA and after some inquiry they said they will tow me for free to a dealership as long as I complete the work there. Called up several dealerships and request the price for ISM about $575 and the hours listed to complete the job, to which they said 2-3hours and other 3-4hours at a charge of 135 an hour; decided with shop that was closest to me and was also 2-3hours of labor. Total estimate price with tax about 1000-1100.

Additionally, for this car 2006 ML350 (may be similar for others), the tow truck driver removed rear passenger wheel and used a special tool to get the whole tire to sit a bit more outside of its normal position. THIS ALLOWED THE TRUCK TO BE TOWED IN THE PARK POSITION. The wheels were no longer locked up. Good information to know.

Will keep you posted and thanks for all your help.

Last edited by sat123; 01-06-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 01-06-2014 | 08:55 PM

W164
Yep, sounds about right. I had the tow truck driver put mine on dollies.

I've heard about this special tool that mb uses to tow their vehicles. I think it lets one of the wheels freewheel, unlocking the whole drivetrain. The downside to doing that, if it's done the way I think it's done, is it is really, really hard on all the differentials, because when you do that the spider gears are spinning at insane speeds. And they are not supposed to.

The repair itself is an absolutely quick and easy fix - 4 little bolts and it's done + 15 minutes of MB Star programminng, so you should have the car back in no time.

Cheers.