M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Faith shaken in MB! Not as reliable as I thought

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML350 Bluetec
Faith shaken in MB! Not as reliable as I thought

I bought my 2011 ML350 Bluetec in 2013 with only 19,000 km on it (that is 11,800 miles for our US neighbours).- was really only one year old as the first owner purchased it in December of 2011. I was happy to join ranks of MB users, I suppose always having bought into the superiority of German engineering (now however less convinced). I had previously owned an Audi TT Roadster which I loved but it was a bit of a gas pig and not very practical. I wanted an SUV for the cargo space and I have a German Shepherd I like to take with me, and he did not fit in my TT . My husband convinced me a Diesel was the way to go, citing better fuel economy. It also had a great safety rating. And with the MB reputation, I though I purchased a vehicle for the long term, one that would reliably last to a ripe old age. I had a few warranty repairs done on the vehicle, many of them computer software related, and one issue with the steering column (bearing needing replacement) and another with cargo bay noise/creaking. All were eventually taken care of through my warranty. But, with age warranty eventually expires and then you find out the true reliability of the vehicle. I have done all the regular service and maintenance. It was only recently did I get a taste of my misguided purchase - courtesy of the CHECK Engine light. Took it to a non dealer who specializes in MBs (being out of warranty, the dealer charges double for anything as compared to a non-dealer). Diagnostic stated it was the intake valve sensor, big job of course getting in there. They replace the sensor, and yet the error came on again a few days later. They then said it was likely a software issue, and MB having proprietary rights on their software is something only the dealer can take care of (its a matter of reprogramming). Off to the dealer I went, concerned that I should not drive it in fear of it being a major problem. They run their diagnostics $240 Cdn - and then got the call. Apparently there were quite a few things going on all at once, The issue with the air intake manifold which may require the manifolds being replaced in their entirety, a leak they discovered (oil engine coolant chamber - gasket seal failure), as well both NOX sensors needed replacing. An estimated bill of over $6500 !! I was in shock. My vehicle now only having 70,000 km (43,000 miles). Even the dealership was surprised given its low mileage. They stated they would reach out to MB Canada to see if some 'assistance' could be had, so long story short, they gave me a 25% discount and it still cost me well over $4500 - They did replace both NOX sensors, fixed the oil leak, and they did replace both Manifolds citing 'worn out linkages'....however after having done my own research on this and other forums, it appears there is a lot of chatter about these particular Diesel engines and a faulty design, causing carbon build up in the manifold that eventually will lead to this failure. No matter that I use Low Sulfer Diesel only (its a North American Standard) and perform all regular maintenance.

It perturbs me that the dealer always asks 'how do you drive the vehicle' and queries regular maintenance, which is just looking for a way out of taking any responsibility of the matter. I drive it like a normal person....hwy and city driving. and all regular maintenance as the reminders indicate. Yes, yes, I know they have to ask...because there are all kinds of people out there that possibly dont.

Anyhow - now having spent a huge chunk on this, dare I say lemon, I will keep driving it for another year and then sell it. I fear that keeping it longer will only lead to the SAME failure with the manifolds in 2 or 3 years down the road again. I asked the dealer for the old parts and they claimed they could not provide them because it was partly covered by MB Canada (the 25% discount they gave me), for all 'warranty' type work they have to sent the used parts back to corporate. I am suspicious. I took pictures of them. The manifold air intake holes were filled with carbon build up and I think it was precisely that reason for the failure, and not the 'worn linkages'....hell, maybe the linkages were worn as well, half of the parts being PLASTIC. Seriously Mercedes? a $75K car with vital engine parts made out of cheap plastic??? Yeah ok. These parts are subject to extreme heat, engine oil, etc.....so plastic is probably not the best material.

I unfortunatly feel like I've been dupped, I bought into the concept of Mercedes Benz. And it is possible that my make and model was just a bad version - I have a friend with the same SUV only older (way older, 1999)!, and GAS. he loves it and has had no Major issues.

A week after the big bill, the rear hatch mechanism failed and wont stay closed. Another $600 repair. Now Brake wear light on - well every car needs new brakes occasionally so that is to be expected. $1800 for that. So well over $7000 in repairs in a span of 2 months with only 45K miles. Maybe I just expect too much from a luxury car maker. I think I'll buy myself an old '49 International that can be fixed by any mechanic - no computers, no "sensors" just a good honest engine that will run and have a long life. Of course I would miss my heated stearing wheel and power everything, which I do love until they stop working .....

My faith in MB shaken.....I don't know if I would trust to buy another. Plenty of options out there, not all as luxurious.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
Get ready to burn through cash or cut your losses now. These cars are only good for leasing and keeping during the warranty period. Resale value and reliability is horrific. As fast as you repair one thing another will pop up.

Last edited by Kennyr; 07-04-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML350 Bluetec
Thanks that is probably true....I only wish someone would have said that before I purchased!! Live and learn. I will start looking for something else in the meantime and hope for a good trade price.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:58 PM

2006 ml350
Originally Posted by Canuck05
Thanks that is probably true....I only wish someone would have said that before I purchased!! Live and learn. I will start looking for something else in the meantime and hope for a good trade price.

I did not do my homework either and learned the hard way. If your car has any value left take it now or watch your hard earned money and sanity go away. I use mine as a 3rd car to drive in the snow and go to Home Depot in, just driving 1500 miles a year and hope nothing new will go wrong. As a daily NO WAY. Good luck with your disposal.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Reliability issues pale in comparison to dealers' ability to recommend $thousands in unnecessary repairs. My recommendation is to find an indy you trust and stay away from the dealer. I took my AMG in for a funky transmission shift at third gear with an occasional ABS warning. This issue had been happening since getting new rear tires and I explained that to the dealer. Nonetheless, they recommended a new transmission at nearly $10,000. They claimed that my particular transmission was not serviceable, because I have such an "early model." Yea right (2008). Turns out I had a bad tire and all the issues went away when I changed the rear tires. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I will agree that the ML is generally a basket case. I have spent bushels of money keeping mine tight and right and I do most of the work myself. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
Canuck05 - I feel your pain having had similar issues with mine.

Lessons learned - use only the highest cetane diesel fuel available. In the US for me it's Chevron followed by Shell, change the oil at 5,000 miles (8,000 KMs), and the air filters at 20,000 miles (32,000 KMs).

In hindsight, after having seven gasoline Mercedes 'normal maintenance' vehicles, I wish I had purchased an ML350. The fuel 'savings' disappeared long ago with the repairs.
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (07-26-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Your problems may have to do with the word "Bluetec" and the fact that those contemporary diesels are a pain to maintain.

If you read blog posts of diesel mechanics, the choice of oil, specifics of maintenance are so precise that straying off even a bit (which a regular gas engine wouldn't even notice) can create major problems for those machines.

I have talked to many repair shop owners and they all said that the ML's 2009 and later are rarely to be seen in the shop for repairs, just for maintenance.

Just stay away from 2006, 2007, and if possible from 2008, and from the diesels.

I love diesels. I drove one for 13 years. But these new diesels are so repair prone and maintenance intensive that I stayed away.

And I want a spare tire. And I hate runflats.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
We had the intake manifold problem as well with our 2011 - one of the variable air control valve plastic arms broke. POS design. Other than that ours has been pretty reliable but we have only driven it from about 60,000 to 70,000 miles. As others mentioned Bluetecs are notorious for being less reliable than their gas counterparts. A 2011 MY should be the best year of this generation of the ML given it was the final production run and they had largely worked out the kinks from the earlier years (notwithstanding the manifold issue), so I am surprised to hear of your issues. I would try to find a reputable Mercedes independent mechanic nearby rather than taking it to the dealer. I don't agree with Kennyr's assessment that out of warranty MB's shouldn't be driven as daily drivers, that is laughable, I have been driving older out of warranty MB's for years. Sure when things break they will often cost more to repair, but you have to keep in mind the MSRP on these vehicles when new. Just because the value of the vehicle depreciates doesn't mean the corresponding cost of parts and service on a high end vehicle like a Mercedes does as well.

I hope you get more mileage out of your car now that you've done the repairs. Personally I wouldn't want a Bluetec out of warranty myself, but my knowledge of the issues that arise with that motor is pretty limited. Good luck either way!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM

2006 ml350
[QUOTE=mrobinso;7206909]We had the intake manifold problem as well with our 2011 - one of the variable air control valve plastic arms broke. POS design. Other than that ours has been pretty reliable but we have only driven it from about 60,000 to 70,000

Almost all my problems happened after 70,000 miles. Trust me I have owned many many cars and I am a mechanic. The ML 350 by far has been the worst money pit problematic purchase. I expect problems but soon as you fix one the next comes on. It never ends. Beautiful car but not nice enough to justify the brain damage and costs.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kennyr
Almost all my problems happened after 70,000 miles. Trust me I have owned many many cars and I am a mechanic. The ML 350 by far has been the worst money pit problematic purchase. I expect problems but soon as you fix one the next comes on. It never ends. Beautiful car but not nice enough to justify the brain damage and costs.
What year was yours?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 AM

2006 ml350
2006 First year. Very bad year. Soft timing balance gears, faulty front differential bearings, intake flappers that go bad, new 7 speed transmission issues, oil leaks from all pr steering parts and some engine parts, cam magnets, ignition coils, a/c clutch, climate control knob issues. The list goes on and on.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kennyr
2006 First year. Very bad year. Soft timing balance gears, faulty front differential bearings, intake flappers that go bad, new 7 speed transmission issues, oil leaks from all pr steering parts and some engine parts, cam magnets, ignition coils, a/c clutch, climate control knob issues. The list goes on and on.
Yes from my experience with Mercedes, it is best to avoid the early model years of any year they produce. Lots of issues that need to be worked out. This rule of thumb is generally true of most automotive manufacturers, unless the vehicle is largely built on an existing platform. The W164 platform is largely built brand new from the grand up by MB so it is no surprise it had some kinks out of the gate. Last model year of the lineup is usually your best bet, but still not a shoe-in as I can attest from my issues with the intake replacement.