M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Replacing bi-Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 12:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
M-Class (W164) 2007: ML350 4Matic Gas
Replacing bi-Xenon Headlights

Hello,

I am planning to replace my bi-xenon headlights. The replacements will be new OEM parts. I read on many sites that an ECU flashing will be needed in order to operate correctly.

Could you please provide more information about this? I was hoping it will be just a plug and play process.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2021, 10:02 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
Why are you replacing your headlights?
Old 09-09-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Why are you replacing your headlights?
Hello. I want to replace them because they are very dim. I think the projectors are not in good condition and therefore they are not projecting the light properly.

I have replaced recently the bulbs (phillips D2SC1) and there was a marginal improvement. Furthermore the cables etc seem to be ok. Hence I concluded that the projectors are the issue..

If you have any other suggestions please let me know
Old 09-09-2021, 06:04 PM

2006 R500
If you're handy with tools and feeling a bit adventurous, this is the better option: https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-retrofit.html
Old 09-19-2021, 02:02 AM

If you're handy with tools and feeling a bit adventurous, this is the better option: https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-retrofit.html
Thanks for the reply!

By the way, I have one more question. I see that the headlights are Bi-Xenon, which means that the xenon bulb should act as a high/low beam. However I noticed that when I turn on the high beams, then a seperate "high beam" bulb turns on (which is a halogen bulb). Do I miss something? Is this what was supposed to happen?
Old 09-19-2021, 02:10 AM

2006 R500
Yes, that is perfectly normal. The regular halogen projector option does not have a high beam function, making the separate high beam bulb and reflector necessary. Rather than having two different style headlights, the halogen projector was replaced with a bi-xenon projector. The bi-xenon cars therefore have two sets of high beams: the xenon high beams and the halogen high beams.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:03 AM

Yes, that is perfectly normal. The regular halogen projector option does not have a high beam function, making the separate high beam bulb and reflector necessary. Rather than having two different style headlights, the halogen projector was replaced with a bi-xenon projector. The bi-xenon cars therefore have two sets of high beams: the xenon high beams and the halogen high beams.
So that means on the bi-xenon headlights, when I turn on the high beams, the Bi-xenon projector mechanically adapts to work as highi beam, and in addition the regular high beam bulb also turns on?
Old 09-19-2021, 11:11 AM

2006 R500
That is correct.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:02 PM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Projector retrofits are the way to go. X164 headlights are easy to open and EVOX-R projectors drop in with a minor amount of work. Other projectors will work too, but require more trimming/fitting. Huge improvement over old projectors with burned bowls.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:21 PM

That is correct.
Great thank you!
​​​​​​​
Old 02-24-2023, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK350 Convertible 2007 W209
So so much easier the replace bi zenons with plug n play LEDs that run off your standard ballast. Instant on, More Lumens and a variety of different Kelvin colours to choose from. I like 5000K. Whiter without being blueish. Cheap easy and effective. I also run LED Highbeams and parking lights as well as reversing lights, brake lights and rear indicators.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Northcott
So so much easier the replace bi zenons with plug n play LEDs that run off your standard ballast. Instant on, More Lumens and a variety of different Kelvin colours to choose from. I like 5000K. Whiter without being blueish. Cheap easy and effective. I also run LED Highbeams and parking lights as well as reversing lights, brake lights and rear indicators.
Interesting. My problem is on the projector of the xenons. If I would replace with LEDs, which parts do I need to replace?
Old 02-24-2023, 11:06 PM

2006 R500
Never listen to this kind of advice, nor should you give it out. There is no LED bulb that can match the output of high quality xenon bulbs, nor are the optics designed to properly accommodate (there's more to headlights than just being bright). The only only time I would ever be okay with LEDs bulbs for headlights is in the high beams. Otherwise, if you want LEDs, do a proper retrofit with LED projectors like the Morimoto M-LED projectors. They're more expensive and designed differently for a reason.

Also, LEDs will do nothing to solve the burned projector bowls that is common on Mercedes of this era.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tsumi:
BlackML550 (02-25-2023), EWT (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 11:33 PM

Never listen to this kind of advice, nor should you give it out. There is no LED bulb that can match the output of high quality xenon bulbs, nor are the optics designed to properly accommodate (there's more to headlights than just being bright). The only only time I would ever be okay with LEDs bulbs for headlights is in the high beams. Otherwise, if you want LEDs, do a proper retrofit with LED projectors like the Morimoto M-LED projectors. They're more expensive and designed differently for a reason.

Also, LEDs will do nothing to solve the burned projector bowls that is common on Mercedes of this era.
I understand and that makes sense. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 02-25-2023, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by asolomu
Interesting. My problem is on the projector of the xenons. If I would replace with LEDs, which parts do I need to replace?
If your reflector is burnt then that's needs replacing 1st. However I stand by every thing I said and done to my own car. LEDs use less power, produce less heat but produce more light. Here we are in 2023. Show me a car that uses HIDs. None. Why is that? Because there not as good as modern LEDs which use less power, produce less heat, last forever and cheaper to make and produce more lumens.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:55 AM

2006 R500
If your reflector is burnt then that's needs replacing 1st. However I stand by every thing I said and done to my own car. LEDs use less power, produce less heat but produce more light. Here we are in 2023. Show me a car that uses HIDs. None. Why is that? Because there not as good as modern LEDs which use less power, produce less heat, last forever and cheaper to make and produce more lumens.
You will also notice that all modern cars that use LEDs have dedicated LED housings. They're not simply using LED bulbs in traditional reflector or projector housings. If they're in projector housings, it's a specialized LED projector design, not one where you stick a bulb in the back like HID and halogen projectors.

Also, I would not say car manufacturers are using LEDs because they're better than HID systems. Cheaper, yes, but better? Show me an OEM LED system that can outperform a proper bi-xenon 55 watt projector with Philips or Osram bulbs. Most LED headlights are about as bright as 35 watt HID bi-xenon systems using generic HID bulbs because legally they don't need to be much brighter than that. Unlike HIDs, LEDs cannot be "beefed up" using better bulbs or higher output ballasts.

LEDs also suffer from heat degredation, where if they're not kept cool enough, their output will dim over time as the heat builds up. This is especially true for LED bulb assemblies. The dimming is almost imperceptible because it happens slowly over time.
Old 02-25-2023, 02:49 AM

You will also notice that all modern cars that use LEDs have dedicated LED housings. They're not simply using LED bulbs in traditional reflector or projector housings. If they're in projector housings, it's a specialized LED projector design, not one where you stick a bulb in the back like HID and halogen projectors. Also, I would not say car manufacturers are using LEDs because they're better than HID systems. Cheaper, yes, but better? Show me an OEM LED system that can outperform a proper bi-xenon 55 watt projector with Philips or Osram bulbs. Most LED headlights are about as bright as 35 watt HID bi-xenon systems using generic HID bulbs because legally they don't need to be much brighter than that. Unlike HIDs, LEDs cannot be "beefed up" using better bulbs or higher output ballasts. LEDs also suffer from heat degredation, where if they're not kept cool enough, their output will dim over time as the heat builds up. This is especially true for LED bulb assemblies. The dimming is almost imperceptible because it happens slowly over time.
My headlight LEDs are running off the standard 35W ballast and produce more lumens than my standard HIDs did with Osram globes and if I run higher ballasts 50, 75, 100 then I guarantee the LEDs that I would fit would also be superior to their HID Equivalents. And if they do dim with time. Ill chuck them in the bin and get the latest tech. No problem. Im not hear for a battle. Just solutions. If you dont want to use new technology. Don't . Its that simple.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:43 AM

2006 R500
My headlight LEDs are running off the standard 35W ballast and produce more lumens than my standard HIDs did with Osram globes and if I run higher ballasts 50, 75, 100 then I guarantee the LEDs that I would fit would also be superior to their HID Equivalents. And if they do dim with time. Ill chuck them in the bin and get the latest tech. No problem. Im not hear for a battle. Just solutions. If you dont want to use new technology. Don't . Its that simple.
You can believe whatever floats your boat. I'm here to make sure that your feelings and subjective opinions are countered with proper information. I would dig up more but sadly lots of the testing on HIDplanet is lost with the website being down. There's also a reason why none of the premium LED bulb makers have D-bulb variants.

https://blog.headlightrevolution.com...ghter-than-hid
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...d_vs_hidxenon/

Like I have indicated, I have nothing against LEDs, if done correctly. And by correctly, I mean using proper LED projectors, not shoving LED bulbs into a halogen or HID projector (they seem to do okay in halogen reflectors). But hey, if you want the latest and greatest, why aren't you going lasers? https://blog.theretrofitsource.com/h...s-hid-vs-laser
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 07:04 AM

You can believe whatever floats your boat. I'm here to make sure that your feelings and subjective opinions are countered with proper information. I would dig up more but sadly lots of the testing on HIDplanet is lost with the website being down. There's also a reason why none of the premium LED bulb makers have D-bulb variants. https://blog.headlightrevolution.com...d_vs_hidxenon/ Like I have indicated, I have nothing against LEDs, if done correctly. And by correctly, I mean using proper LED projectors, not shoving LED bulbs into a halogen or HID projector (they seem to do okay in halogen reflectors). But hey, if you want the latest and greatest, why aren't you going lasers? https://blog.theretrofitsource.com/h...s-hid-vs-laser
I'm more than happy with the light spread and output of my LEDs. They don't flicker, start up instantly and the high beams show about 800 m down the road. They are brilliant. Why wouldn't I tell people what I'm running?​​​​​​​
Old 02-25-2023, 01:21 PM

2006 R500
I'm more than happy with the light spread and output of my LEDs. They don't flicker, start up instantly and the high beams show about 800 m down the road. They are brilliant. Why wouldn't I tell people what I'm running?
Because you get **** poor light distribution in the low beam and bi-xenon projectors, which is what really matters for 90% of nighttime driving scenarios. What you feel what you are happy with and what is good objectively can be two very different things. For example, lots of people run with fog lights on because they think it lights up the road better. What it actually does is dump a lot of light on the foreground and compromises long distance vision because the pupils constrict to reduce the amount of light coming in.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:54 PM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Quick way to see how good they are. Show some output shots on a garage door or wall from 25' or 8 meters.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:49 PM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550 - 4Matic, 2008 ML550
Ill pipe up too- I have LED D1s bulbs in both my Mercedes - and he is correct - they work better than HID - brighter - whiter - still throw distance as needed and the added bonus of instant on too...

Also the beam pattern (assuming you get a good bulb) is actually better with regards to focus and cut off...

They are that good these days - a year ago I would of said stay away - but I have been more than happy and wont go back to HIDs.

I have a lot of HID bulbs if you want some of them - but LED will outshine!

I'd say try it before you make comments on something you have not tried - you MIGHT actually like it...

Cheers