M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Need reassurance that the new ML won't be a piece of crap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500, John Deere tractor
Need reassurance that the new ML won't be a piece of crap.

I've never owned a Mercedes. I've owned Lexus, Acura and BMW. I'm needing to replace my MDX and really like the new MB but nearly everything I've heard or read about the old MB SUV has been bad. In fact when compared to Lexus and some others the reliability of all MB products seems to suffer in comparison.
Can someone please reassure me that I won't look back and curse the day I bought a 2006 ML? Are there signs that you can point to that MB is headed back in the right direction?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Well, why are you buying it? If you are buying it for reasons that MB seems not to be well known for (such as reliability of recent models), then why are you making such a decision?

My 2000 ML430 had absolutely no problems except the normal rattle in the dash fixed at under 3000 miles, and a persistent brake squeal from the right rear, which the dealership never fixed (but I did fix by reassembly of the caliper... it turned out one piston was stuck). I really enjoyed that car.

I tend to wonder if certain owners treat their cars in a certain manner that causes more problems. I've had a new car every model year of MB since 1999 to 2004 and haven't had more than a few minor problems all around. Mostly rattles, and most I end up fixing myself or just getting used to them.

-s-
Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scorchie
Well, why are you buying it? If you are buying it for reasons that MB seems not to be well known for (such as reliability of recent models), then why are you making such a decision?

My 2000 ML430 had absolutely no problems except the normal rattle in the dash fixed at under 3000 miles, and a persistent brake squeal from the right rear, which the dealership never fixed (but I did fix by reassembly of the caliper... it turned out one piston was stuck). I really enjoyed that car.

I tend to wonder if certain owners treat their cars in a certain manner that causes more problems. I've had a new car every model year of MB since 1999 to 2004 and haven't had more than a few minor problems all around. Mostly rattles, and most I end up fixing myself or just getting used to them.

-s-
I often wonder what the word "car ownership" means if every problem is someone elses. Making a small effort to resolve a problem* can make a huge difference.

* some things I have in my car would drive other owners ballistic. My primary goal is to arrive safely not make my car a museum.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by scorchie
I tend to wonder if certain owners treat their cars in a certain manner that causes more problems.

-s-
I think that there is some truth to this statement. I just had 2 minor problems with my 2004 E 320 4 M. My car has been at the dealers quite a bit, but that was either because I have been upgrading things or I wanted every known possible MB retrofit that would make some noises go away or enable a feature like a MP3 player. I am a very picky consumer, but I am not dissatisfied with MB's quality.

My last personal MB was a 1991 300E. It was supposed to be a "good old model" but I had a few serious problems with it at 60k miles and then it never had any problems again (at least up to 130K miles).

I drive an MDX too and they are an OK car, but they are not without faults. Second gear recall, brakes click when you change driving directions (forward to reverse). Not to mention they are not very strong. Rear AC vents break because they stick. Fit and finish is terrible (fisheyes on the paint, glove box does not align with dash panel, tail light lenses have air bubbles in them etc. etc). Overall, however, the car is a good car, but I do not see it at the level of a MB.

I drove many MLs and the reason people hated them is very simple. The old ML (163), is a truly tough vehicle that can actually perform off road. It was not designed as a soccer mom vehicle. So, when you compared them to these uni-body single-speed transfer case "SUVs", they were not as smooth. With that said, I would still rather be in a 163 ML on the highway than the MDX.

I believe that the new ML should be a better blend for the American Public. I am personally beginning to wonder if I should buy a CDI ML. I was going to buy a Jetta Wagon TDI to replace my Audi, but I really like the design of the new ML. I will wait and drive it to see for sure.

As far as reliability goes, I think that MB should be doing their homework now. I think that they are well aware of their sliding image in quality and I imagine that they are doing their homework before the release of the new ML to the public.

Steve
Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SAguirre

As far as reliability goes, I think that MB should be doing their homework now. I think that they are well aware of their sliding image in quality and I imagine that they are doing their homework before the release of the new ML to the public.

Steve
It is difficult to win a reliability contest if you include trivial problems that take 3 minutes to rectify in with the same numbers as blown engines. As a ratio of features to serious problems I would be more sceptical.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Vos
Almost a Member!

ML430 (used to, now X5 4.4.i)
Apart from some minor problems that were fixed quickly under warranty, I have had relatively few problems with my 2000 ML430. Granted it is irritating to have to drop by the dealer repeatedly to fix minor stuff. I knew about this before a bout the car at 18 months with 22k mls, but decided that I could live with it due to proximity of the dealer (across the intersection).

However, as a personal guideline, I will never buy the first year of production of any vehicle. I think it is not worth the hassle because you just wind up being the beta tester. If you like being the first guy on the block with a new model then go for it. If you hate to be the test mule stay away from it. You sound like you are in the latter category.....?

From my point of view there are going to be some very fine late production W163 cars for sale with low mileage.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Well, scorchie I haven't bought one yet. From what I've seen so far I like the new ML. My MDX has had a couple of little problems but has over all been very good to me. However since they haven't really updated them, I don't really want another one. The BMW's have too little cargo space (I'm hoping the new MB has more), and you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Lexus 300 or 330. That pretty much leaves me with the new ML, though I might check out a (gulp) VW Touraeg.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:51 AM

Mercedes all the way!
VW Toureg? erm, no, its like a lexus on steroids, that's all. might as well go for the big brother cayenne

personally, i've nvr had a reliability problem with any MBs i've ever owned, so i do concur with Scorchie's view that some people might somehow treat their vehicles in a certain way -- or perhaps if leaving them out in the cold and never properly washing them for years makes some sort of difference. i would think, if you like the new ML, go ahead and get it -- it's very unlikely u'll have any regrets =)
Old 02-25-2005, 01:59 PM

'03 ML350 Inspiration, '01 SAAB 9-5
cars are bound to have problems, especially as they get older and over 60k miles. many people i know that complain about having problems with their cars, also dont really take care of them, such as not performing recommended maintenance etc., and then complain when something makes the car undriveable and get a $1,500 bill. its an investment that has to be maintained.... i understand no one wants to spend that much money, but as my dad used to say when i would complain about my 89 260 that had over 150k miles, and had some issues....is it better to spend $1,000 to fix, or $25,000 on a new car
Old 02-25-2005, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Curious George
Well, scorchie I haven't bought one yet. From what I've seen so far I like the new ML. My MDX has had a couple of little problems but has over all been very good to me. However since they haven't really updated them, I don't really want another one. The BMW's have too little cargo space (I'm hoping the new MB has more), and you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Lexus 300 or 330. That pretty much leaves me with the new ML, though I might check out a (gulp) VW Touraeg.
Had dinner last week one evening with an automotive analyst for an independent brokerage/investment banking firm. In the course of conversation he mentioned that the industry feeling (and his) is that the Cayenne and Toureag have both been commercial failures. The manufacturers are currently in discussions as to how to stop the losses and he feels they may take a "drastic yet undefined action."
Old 02-25-2005, 09:40 PM

I saw the new ML @ the Autoshow in toronto, it looks nice inside.

how it is mechanically is another story, I would NOT buy it in its 1st year though.
if its anything like the 1998/1999 MLs, stay as far away from it as possible.

Hopefully the CDI variants will be well built.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:21 AM

C320 Coupe
I drive a C class, but my signature says it all. My only complaints in almost three years is a couple of rattles. I'm one of those drivers that is truely hard on their car (see post below). MBs are wonderful cars to drive. If you like Hondas/Acura, you will love the way new MBs drive.

I also agree with Scorcie that the previous ML was more truck like with a real truck frame. This is why I bought another Town & Country when I traded my Expedition. With the advent of "track capable" SUVs such as the Porshe, VW, and Mecedes, I will be looking at the ML class again.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/49913-autocross-picture.html
Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
The difference between the 98-01 MLs and the 05s is huge. 05s are on top of the reliability surveys.
Yes quality has been low for the past 10 years, but one of the reasons for them being so low on surveys is there are a lot of stupid people who own Mercedes. People who complain that the interior lights won't turn on, reason they are switched off. Complaints like that are why Mercedes rates at the bottom. If people read the owner's manual Mercedes would be much higher, not at the top, but not at the bottom.

The new ML will not be nearly as bad as when the old one first came out. Thought there will most likely be some first year problems.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:26 PM

you should have gone to an autoshow, they ahd them there. they look nice, how they are on the road is anyone's guess.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 ML 350
Help Scorchie

scorchie...i note you discuss rattle in front dash. I have a 2003 w rattle in front dash that is driving me nuts. Any suggestios as I hesitate taking it to dealer for "exploratory surgery"
Old 03-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Almost a Member!

So Gullwing you are saying that a lot of stupid people buy MB? A higher percentage than other brands? If so what does that tell us?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:39 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
I personally think that lot of MB owners look for higher standards on life in general. higher standards translate into being picky on things that are around them, so that they can get the best. I think that is why MB gets negative feedbacks on slightest things, because it's target customers are such people; who will complain and try to get the best.

If these people would drive around other cheaper brands, I would think that there would be FAR more complaints in the reviews.

So far, I love my 05 ML.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck......MB is slipping in quality. I bought a '99 ML and had about $14k in warranty claims. When I traded it in 7/04, it only had 60k miles!

My '04 C320 had a seat module replaced, trans module replaced, and now the power steering is feeling strange.........I have had the '04 C320 for 15 months now with only 7k miles (weekend car) and have all of these problems. Maybe I should trade in the C320 for a Acura TL or Infiniti G35 Sedan?

On the otherhand, my FX35 has had ZERO problems with 9k on the odom.

If you must have a W164 ML, then I'd wait atleast 2 model years. It took MB the 3rd model year ML (2000) before they got it right.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML and quality

Originally Posted by Sincity
Good luck......MB is slipping in quality. I bought a '99 ML and had about $14k in warranty claims. When I traded it in 7/04, it only had 60k miles!

My '04 C320 had a seat module replaced, trans module replaced, and now the power steering is feeling strange.........I have had the '04 C320 for 15 months now with only 7k miles (weekend car) and have all of these problems. Maybe I should trade in the C320 for a Acura TL or Infiniti G35 Sedan?

If you must have a W164 ML, then I'd wait atleast 2 model years. It took MB the 3rd model year ML (2000) before they got it right.
You have to understand that the W163 was built in the first ever US plant. My early '98 had a few little issues, but nothing to prevent me from buyin a first year again. Maybe you were unlucky. Hopefully, with $600M in plant upgrades and a better subcontractor network, the W164 will be right out of the box. Or not, but I'm giving it a shot. It's just a car.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML and quality

Originally Posted by Sincity

You have to understand that the W163 was built in the first ever US plant. My early '98 had a few little issues, but nothing to prevent me from buying a first year again. Maybe you were unlucky. Hopefully, with $600M in plant upgrades and a better subcontractor network, the W164 will be right out of the box. Or not, but I'm giving it a shot. It's just a car.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You have to understand that the W163 was built in the first ever US plant. My early '98 had a few little issues, but nothing to prevent me from buying a first year again. Maybe you were unlucky. Hopefully, with $600M in plant upgrades and a better subcontractor network, the W164 will be right out of the box. Or not, but I'm giving it a shot. It's just a car.

Have you managed to get the drive that your dealer GM promised you yet?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Test drive

Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Have you managed to get the drive that your dealer GM promised you yet?
No, unfortunately--he tried to get me into the dealer training session, but it didn't work out. Oh, well, demos should be here in less than two weeks.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
No, unfortunately--he tried to get me into the dealer training session, but it didn't work out. Oh, well, demos should be here in less than two weeks.
You're lucky. we'll have to wait until the Autumn to see them in the UK. However, I'm coming over to the US on vacation at the end of April. I'll be heading staight to a MB dealer!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:00 PM

many
it will be crap since it has star on the hood and as long Schremp runs the company. Did not learn it yet?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by a2gtinut
it will be crap since it has star on the hood and as long Schremp runs the company. Did not learn it yet?

Thanks for your constructive input.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need reassurance that the new ML won't be a piece of crap.