Off-road package on MY13

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Jetta TDI
Question Off-road package on MY13

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the forum for a while as I have an interest in the ML 350. I test-drove the Bluetec last November and was quite impressed, but decided I would wait for the Off-road package to be released since I like having a low-range option. Now reading on the forum that the Off-road package won't make it on the Bluetec due to not being certified? In fact, looking at Greg's "What's new in Canada for MY13", I am not even seeing the package for any models. So is it making its way on the Bluetec or any model? If not, any chances for MY14 or should I just forget about it?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Originally Posted by Nick B
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the forum for a while as I have an interest in the ML 350. I test-drove the Bluetec last November and was quite impressed, but decided I would wait for the Off-road package to be released since I like having a low-range option. Now reading on the forum that the Off-road package won't make it on the Bluetec due to not being certified? In fact, looking at Greg's "What's new in Canada for MY13", I am not even seeing the package for any models. So is it making its way on the Bluetec or any model? If not, any chances for MY14 or should I just forget about it?

Thanks!
I noticed that myself. Originally I thought of waiting for the off-road package (thinking it would be likely offered as part of MY13 in Canada). As my current SUV supports; 2WD, AWD, 4Hi, and 4Lo, I thought I would get the same in my new MLBT. But then I asked myself just how often I ever used my current 4Hi and 4Lo and realized that in the last 11 years I have only once really felt the need to use 4Hi - it was a very deep snow day (although I never tried it, I bet my AWD would have been good enough that day as well). My conclusion was the BlueTEC was important, the off-road package not so much. Everyone’s requirements are different, but I suspect there are not many situations the typical ML owner will get into that can’t be handled by the 4MATIC AWD.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
If not, I would say just forget about the package yet don't forget about the ML350. This SUV is a great safe vehicle for us. You have test drove the ML and you too were impressed.

I thought about waiting for the off-road package...like the last poster (scurrie) said how often would you actually use it? And would it be worth the extra cost? I am one of those type of guys that won't buy something unless I am actually going to use it. I acutally looked into the ML350 for its off-road capability. I have taken it up some pretty steep hills (dirt and grass) and it does fine. I have even taken it in some off road muddy conditions and it still does fine. My thing is if I wanted just on-road performance I would have gotten a X5.

I would like to say that you can do whatever you want to do with your money - it's your money. Me personally if you could (if it's not going to be certified) don't let it defer you from purchasing a great vehicle. If your one of those type of guys that want to have it just because (don't care about added cost) look else where no one can stop you.

My fiance, and myself very much enjoy our ML, great gas milage and off road. We have tried it in snow, and it performed great - only thing would make it better is tires. When really when it comes down to it, if its snow your worried about the on&off road package won't do much to help. Its tires - best investment when it comes to snow. Have all the technology you want, if you don't have good snow tires just give up.

And if its snowing that bad to where even thats not good enough - you shouldn't be driving in the weather if thats the case.

I told myself I was going to wait - We are now over 9,000 miles on our car and still feels like we got it yesterday. Basically, no matter what model you get just as long as it's an ML you will be happy.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
On/Off Road package

Hi everyone,

Not sure about Canada, but 430 is listed for the US in the dealer info: https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...order-info.pdf. The price is very reasonable considering it includes Airmatic, adaptive damping, locking diff., 2-speed transfer case and a skid plate, as well as the various dynamic traction control programs.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM

'09 Jetta TDI
I agree that the ML is a very fine and capable machine even without the on&off road package, my real worry is committing to the MY13 Bluetec without the package only to see the package available on MY14.

Of course, I can't wait forever and that's a risk I would have to take, but if we know that the package would be available to MY14, then I would wait. If it isn't, I would probably just go with the MY13. Eventually, I'll have to make the decision, but there's a lot of knowledge on this forum that I can put into my decision process.

A little background info, prior to my Jetta TDI, I had a Xterra Off-Road edition. Not once did I get stuck with it; snow, mud, trails or rocks. The problem with the Xterra was that it was very fuel hungry and the interior extremely cheap. I decided to give diesel a try, which is why I went with the Jetta TDI. I have to say, I am definitely a fan of diesel, hence my interest in a Bluetec but I miss having a SUV. I am now doing well for myself and can afford to get something I like. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get a "Xterra-capable" off-road vehicle in a Mercedes, but when a package like the on&off road package being available, I would prefer to have it than to find myself wanting it and not having it.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Off Road Package

I agree that the ML is a very fine and capable machine even without the on&off road package, my real worry is committing to the MY13 Bluetec without the package only to see the package available on MY14.

Of course, I can't wait forever and that's a risk I would have to take, but if we know that the package would be available to MY14, then I would wait. If it isn't, I would probably just go with the MY13. Eventually, I'll have to make the decision, but there's a lot of knowledge on this forum that I can put into my decision process.

A little background info, prior to my Jetta TDI, I had a Xterra Off-Road edition. Not once did I get stuck with it; snow, mud, trails or rocks. The problem with the Xterra was that it was very fuel hungry and the interior extremely cheap. I decided to give diesel a try, which is why I went with the Jetta TDI. I have to say, I am definitely a fan of diesel, hence my interest in a Bluetec but I miss having a SUV. I am now doing well for myself and can afford to get something I like. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get a "Xterra-capable" off-road vehicle in a Mercedes, but when a package like the on&off road package being available, I would prefer to have it than to find myself wanting it and not having it.
The ML is quite capable with the Off Road package, if not a true hard core off-roader.

Here's a previous thread with specs: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...iled-info.html.

Here are off road pics: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...romo-pics.html

The vaguaries of MBUSA option offerings and availability are frustrating and impossible to predict, unfortunately.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31

Pretty much no risk, hell will freeze over before we Canadians see a OFF Road ML. We get a G class for off roading. Ask ur Dealer about the "G"
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM

2013 ML350BTC
I'm in the same boat: Waited till MY13 in hopes of getting Bluetec with off-road package. If I order an ML350 Bluetec without off-road, it'll be my first vehicle since 1973 that doesn't have a 2-speed transfer case. My take is: low range is "necessary" for rock-crawling situations. That is, when you just can't go slow enough to get over rough terrain. Low range is a "nice to have" for situations where you want better speed control up and down steep hills or in and out of sand/muck. Since I'm not into rock-crawling, I'm thinking the diesel with its great torque together with the air suspension to get almost a foot of ground clearance should do the trick. I'd really like to at least get skid plates though. Anyone know whether MB or another supplier has skid plates available outside of the off-road package?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Front skid plate

Originally Posted by AZHiker
I'd really like to at least get skid plates though. Anyone know whether MB or another supplier has skid plates available outside of the off-road package?
Unlikely aftermarket will have much due to low demand. Best bet is to try to order the part through M-B.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Engine underguard is available separately here as item 481. $A210 plus tax
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iankayem
Engine underguard is available separately here as item 481. $A210 plus tax
Maybe in Australia (do you have a roo bar option, too? ), but the availability and packaging in every country is different.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM

X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
No roo bars are not available for the ML. But roos only come out around dawn or dusk. So I sleep through dawn, and drink through dusk.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The ML is quite capable with the Off Road package, if not a true hard core off-roader.

Here's a previous thread with specs: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...iled-info.html.

Here are off road pics: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...romo-pics.html

The vaguaries of MBUSA option offerings and availability are frustrating and impossible to predict, unfortunately.

Great video presentation of the off-road package here:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...ce/index.html#

The menu also lists a video demonstrating the "partially electric trailer coupling" with a ball trailer hitch that is usually hidden, but can extend down at the press of a button. This would be more aesthetically pleasing that the square hitch, but I haven't seen this as an option. I've order the square hitch primarily to hold a bike rack. I wonder if that ball hitch could take some kind of bike rack, too.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:22 PM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by gplank

The menu also lists a video demonstrating the "partially electric trailer coupling" with a ball trailer hitch that is usually hidden, but can extend down at the press of a button. This would be more aesthetically pleasing that the square hitch, but I haven't seen this as an option. I've order the square hitch primarily to hold a bike rack. I wonder if that ball hitch could take some kind of bike rack, too.
Unfortunately, that system is not for this market. I know it is on European models, not sure what other continents, but not here!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
If your concern is only speed control in semi-off road situations, I can tell you that our '11 bluetec ML will crawl along very easily if you keep it in first gear. My test case was putting my dad's boat back in the barn last year. The barn has a good 2-3" vertical curb in it's entrance that opens into grass. Normally you have to two foot when maneuvering the boat back in so it doesn't take off once you're over the curb. The ML easily crawled over with a simple modulating of the accelerator, no sudden jump as with my Dad's Yukon. I wouldn't be too concerned with an off road package.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
just as capable as jgc, same chassis, same standards.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Actually better stiffer and more tested :o) but just agreeing with just the same.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 AM

I am getting the off road pack this time.
Not because I want to hop rocks or test it against a JGC or a true off roader. My main concern is after driving 50k's down the road to find a nasty washaway as we are about to return to the road. With the off road we can decide to proceed at max height, or back up to a point where we can do a U-turn.

Been there before and for me, the peice of mind is worth far more than the cost.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 PM

accord
Hey guys I've been lurking in the forum and had a question about the offroad package.

Is there any final answer on whether the US will be getting bluetec ML's with offroad package or not?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM

'09 Jetta TDI
Doesn't seem like it will be available, though I'm hoping that they do bring it. I was looking at MB France's website and you can get the On&Offroad pack for 2400€ on the Bluetec. It would be really disappointing if they don't bring it over.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Doesn't seem like it will be available, though I'm hoping that they do bring it. I was looking at MB France's website and you can get the On&Offroad pack for 2400€ on the Bluetec. It would be really disappointing if they don't bring it over.
What do you mean over - it's made here!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 AM

'09 Jetta TDI
Greg, I meant over here in Canada. Regardless of where it is made, there is still a configuration of Bluetec and On&Offroad available, just not "home".