Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Airmatic Suspension?

 
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330I ZHP
Airmatic Suspension?

What is the expected life of the Airmaitic Suspension? I am considering it but have some reservations. Some people say that it is a Great system and worth it....some say save your money due to the high cost to maintain the Airmatic Suspension. I wish that I could test drive a ML with Airmatic.....but the dealerships seem to never have them in stock. What are your thoughts on the Airmatic Suspension....any insight will be greatly appeciated. Thanks
sigep69 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GL 450
I currently own two 2013 MLs, one with Airmatic, and one without. I'm selling the one without it (although more for the lack of Distronic than anything else) and I can safely say that I will consider it a mandatory addition on all future Mercedes that I buy or lease. Well worth the cost and wait, for me.
ciparis is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,991
Received 283 Likes on 206 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Airmatic

Originally Posted by sigep69 View Post
What is the expected life of the Airmaitic Suspension? I am considering it but have some reservations. Some people say that it is a Great system and worth it....some say save your money due to the high cost to maintain the Airmatic Suspension. I wish that I could test drive a ML with Airmatic.....but the dealerships seem to never have them in stock. What are your thoughts on the Airmatic Suspension....any insight will be greatly appeciated. Thanks
I love the Airmatic, particularly combined with Active Curve. But, you are correct that there are many more things to go wrong. My W164 had three Airmatic issues in the 6 years I owned it, luckily all before warranty expiration. If you are keeping beyond factory warranty I would consider getting an extended one.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Howard Co MD
Posts: 254
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
I leased an '07 GL450 and a '10 GL450 that both had Airmatic/ADS suspension.
Currently my wife drives a '13 ML350 gasser with Airmatic, and I drive a '13 ML350 Bluetec with conventional suspension. I really don't see where the air suspension is dramatically better than regular suspension. On a sedan or coupe, I'd agree airmatic is well worth the potential problems. On an SUV, I doubt I'd ever select this option again.
Stoneseller is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 PM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330I ZHP
Originally Posted by ciparis View Post
I currently own two 2013 MLs, one with Airmatic, and one without. I'm selling the one without it (although more for the lack of Distronic than anything else) and I can safely say that I will consider it a mandatory addition on all future Mercedes that I buy or lease. Well worth the cost and wait, for me.

Thanks for your feed back
sigep69 is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 161
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 350
I had an '06 for 6 yrs and had one issue. A compressor died. I had the extended warranty so it was covered.
frtdog is offline  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:24 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330I ZHP
Originally Posted by frtdog View Post
I had an '06 for 6 yrs and had one issue. A compressor died. I had the extended warranty so it was covered.

So how do you like your Airmatic suspension? If you had to do it over again.....would you still order your ML with Airmatic or with out? Does the Airmatic really improve the ride quality over standard steel spring suspension set up?
sigep69 is offline  
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 161
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 350
I think the ride is better with the airmatic. Of course the only comparison I have is from my '01 ML320. And for the occasional off-roading I do it is nice to be able to increase the ground clearance.
frtdog is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
blinkme_210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 BMW 530xi & '14 ML350
The Airmatic suspension really smooths out the jarring bumps in the road when it's in comfort mode. Bumps that you would really feel in other cars, you barely feel in the ML.
blinkme_210 is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
jtorrebl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 698
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 Panamera 4S
Originally Posted by Stoneseller View Post
I leased an '07 GL450 and a '10 GL450 that both had Airmatic/ADS suspension.
Currently my wife drives a '13 ML350 gasser with Airmatic, and I drive a '13 ML350 Bluetec with conventional suspension. I really don't see where the air suspension is dramatically better than regular suspension. On a sedan or coupe, I'd agree airmatic is well worth the potential problems. On an SUV, I doubt I'd ever select this option again.
But airmatic is a better ride right?
jtorrebl is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Howard Co MD
Posts: 254
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
But airmatic is a better ride right?
Yes
Stoneseller is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,991
Received 283 Likes on 206 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Airmatic

Originally Posted by sigep69 View Post
So how do you like your Airmatic suspension? If you had to do it over again.....would you still order your ML with Airmatic or with out? Does the Airmatic really improve the ride quality over standard steel spring suspension set up?
Yes, ride quality is better. Also, you can increase stiffness for curvy roads, it automatically compensates for loads and you can raise the vehicle close to 4" for deep water, snow or off-road.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 976
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
The airmatic is mandatory on the w166 ml63 I think it says it all

It's really incredible just the fact it can be comfy and then very sporty... I would never buy an ml without it!
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW FL
Posts: 144
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
I like the automatic self-leveling function--front to back and side to side. Useful if you haul heavy cargo or tow a trailer with a heavy tongue weight.
Shrdlu is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Oh Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
I just got my new ML with Airmatic, love playing with it watching it rising and lowering the vehicle. Feels high when at full rise. It was mandatory with my active curve system. Cool feature.
Oh Cool is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
dgiturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woodstock, IL
Posts: 895
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
His 2013 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Kids 2010 "4Matic" Impreza
In 138000 miles the only issue I have had with my Airmatic is a $25 relay that controls the compressor burned out in the on position, and ran the compressor to it's early death. $300 fix at the dealer. That's as reliable as one could ask for.

Ride is superior to those without. (Driven in co worker vehicle as a back to back test.) The ability to raise up to clear snow and brush is great. Nice when it self lowers on the highway to improve aero and handling. Handling on back road mountain roads are really fun when you hit the Sport mode button.

And you can't beat the cool factor when you open the rear hatch to load suitcases and the people you just picked up from the airport see the rear squat down to reduce the height you have to lift. Or when you hook up a 6500 pound RV with 700 pounds of tongue weight and the vehicle rides LEVEL and handles like a Mercedes should.

Will never buy an SUV without it in the future.
dgiturbo is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,948
Likes: 0
Received 582 Likes on 451 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Airmatic - including the Benz system - is subject to stru failure starting at/about 70K miles - and a very good reason for Extended Limited Warranty of the new car warranty.

If one strut fails and is replace, it is quite common for the strut on the opposite side to fail in the following 10K miles.

Very solid suspension system - but again strut/bag failure does happen.

Keep the beat !
fabbrisd1 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic Suspension?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: