M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

how does active lane keeping assist work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 4MATIC
how does active lane keeping assist work

I noticed that when drifting out of lane, the steering wheel vibrates to deliver a warning. But I thought I read somewhere that the vehicle is suppose to put brakes on certain wheels to bring the vehicle back in lane. My car does not do this? Am I missing something?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 AM

ML350 bluetec
My one also does nothing...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 AM

Pewter 2003 slk320, 2011 Black C300, 2013 C350 Loaded
You may have the Lane Keeping Assist stand alone option
With technology that monitors ordinary road markings, Lane Keeping Assist helps detect unintended drifting off-course, and alerts the driver by vibrating the steering wheel. No active correction.

Only the Driver Assistance Package offers the active correction and includes:
Active Blind Spot Assist
Active Lane Keeping Assist
DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE® Brake
PRE-SAFE
Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
There are a couple if other possibilities, too. Even if you have the Drivers Assistance Package, it is possible to turn off the "Active" function, so check that it is enabled. Also, the active braking function of lane keeping only activates when you are crossing a solid line, and if you do not have your blinker on.

Last edited by 340z; 08-16-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by 340z
Also, the active braking function of lane keeping only activates when you are crossing a solid line, and if you do not have your blinker on.
If I understand you correctly, were you to cross into another lane (eg., cross a broken line) without having your turn signal indicator on, the active braking on the opposite side of the car will NOT engage? That seems to run counter to what I have read.

Here in Hawaii the use of the turn signal is mainly viewed as a "guideline", as evidenced by the many drivers that seem unaware that a turn signal device actually exists in their vehicles. This type of active technology, assuming it works on broken lines as well as solid lines and even without the active braking, would be very much welcomed here. At least those idiotic drivers would be warned about an unsafe lane change and actually think about using their turn signal indicators

I saw this video on YouTube, where Mercedes indicates it works on both solid and broken lines.

Last edited by bud.jones; 08-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
Hi Bud,

I would have thought the braking function would work on dashed lines, too.

However, only the vibration function works on dashed lines.

It is a bit confusing, but if you listen to the voice over on the video states this about 1:19, the voice states, "if there is still no reaction and the vehicle threatens to cross over a solid line the wheels on the opposite side will be braked..." It's also confirmed in the manual.

I'm not sure why they only brake for solid lines. I'm with you and would like the same capability with dashed lines as many two lane roads have only a dashed line separating on coming traffic, but I'm sure they have some reason for it.

As for turn signals...Germany is pretty big on that vs our more casual approach...so I've just learned to use the signal more. In the end, that's not a bad thing, just a new habit to learn....but you learn pretty quickly, because the braking catches your attention.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 340z
Hi Bud,

I would have thought the braking function would work on dashed lines, too.

However, only the vibration function works on dashed lines.

It is a bit confusing, but if you listen to the voice over on the video states this about 1:19, the voice states, "if there is still no reaction and the vehicle threatens to cross over a solid line the wheels on the opposite side will be braked..." It's also confirmed in the manual.

I'm not sure why they only brake for solid lines. I'm with you and would like the same capability with dashed lines as many two lane roads have only a dashed line separating on coming traffic, but I'm sure they have some reason for it.

As for turn signals...Germany is pretty big on that vs our more casual approach...so I've just learned to use the signal more. In the end, that's not a bad thing, just a new habit to learn....but you learn pretty quickly, because the braking catches your attention.
340z, I guess my wife is correct, in that I, in fact, DO have selective hearing I completely missed that mention of only solid lines. Oh well, i guess that's why we also have Active Blind Spot Assist and Alert Assist, right? I am really glad that Mercedes has put so much time and effort into safety features, although I have not done too badly thus far, and I do not currently enjoy any of them. I am really looking forward to purchasing my new ML350 so that I can truly experience these amazing safety features.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 PM

14' Audi SQ5 05' Jag x-type 09' Ducati848 05' Jeep 06' Ford F150
Most lane assist packages will state that they only work with clearly definable road markings. I personally think its a waste of money. I've never hit anyone or run off the road and don't see the point of spending the money on it. It will all be standard equipment in 5-10 years anyway.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM

jesterdfw, I somewha agree, but want the distronic package, so I'll have the active lane tracking assist as well as the active blind spot assist. I can always turn them off, but then what's the use of having them in the first place?
Old 12-27-2020, 11:21 PM

ML400 2014 W166
Sorry to bring this back from the dead - but I am confused.

I have gone from a 2015 CLS with Distronic + and Active Lane Keeping Assist to a 2014 ML400 with Distronic + and Active Lane Keeping Assist and they are totally different.

The CLS would actively steer the car for about 30 seconds and was quite driverless (until it gave you the message to hold the wheel).
Th ML400 just vibrates when the car leaves the lane and does nothing else - totally useless (no corrective action, the car just heads out of its lane into the next).

The Mercedes Youtube Videos say the ML should self steer by braking the wheels on one side - but I get nothing - I tried it on freeways, dotted lines, straight lines, and it just heads off the road with a bit of a steering wheel vibration..

I have it set to Adaptive in the menu - but very disappointed how it works on the ML The CLS version was a good feature - on the ML, waste of time.

cheers

Digger.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Post your VIN so we can see exactly what options you have. I know with my ML 350 Blue it only vibrates the steering and nothing else. I also know I do not have the Distronic option. I have the Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist. So you sure you have the Active Lane Keeping Assist?
Old 10-31-2022, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe W207
Originally Posted by DIGGER11
Sorry to bring this back from the dead - but I am confused.

I have gone from a 2015 CLS with Distronic + and Active Lane Keeping Assist to a 2014 ML400 with Distronic + and Active Lane Keeping Assist and they are totally different.

The CLS would actively steer the car for about 30 seconds and was quite driverless (until it gave you the message to hold the wheel).
Th ML400 just vibrates when the car leaves the lane and does nothing else - totally useless (no corrective action, the car just heads out of its lane into the next).

The Mercedes Youtube Videos say the ML should self steer by braking the wheels on one side - but I get nothing - I tried it on freeways, dotted lines, straight lines, and it just heads off the road with a bit of a steering wheel vibration..

I have it set to Adaptive in the menu - but very disappointed how it works on the ML The CLS version was a good feature - on the ML, waste of time.

cheers

Digger.
Back from the dead for anyone searching:
CLS sounds like it had - Active Lane Keep Assist (Vibration and Correction) + Distronic (Adaptive Cruise to manage brake and gas) + Steering Assist (Keeps car centered using cameras when Distronic is active)
the ML Sounds like it Had - Lane Keep Assist (Vibration/Beep when going over lane but no active adjustment) + Distronic (adaptive cruise to manage brake and gas) but WITHOUT Steering Assist (cameras in the windshield)

If the car has steering assist you will notice Two / Stereo cameras on the op of the Windshield
Old 10-31-2022, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by o_Rage_o
Back from the dead for anyone searching:
CLS sounds like it had - Active Lane Keep Assist (Vibration and Correction) + Distronic (Adaptive Cruise to manage brake and gas) + Steering Assist (Keeps car centered using cameras when Distronic is active)
the ML Sounds like it Had - Lane Keep Assist (Vibration/Beep when going over lane but no active adjustment) + Distronic (adaptive cruise to manage brake and gas) but WITHOUT Steering Assist (cameras in the windshield)

If the car has steering assist you will notice Two / Stereo cameras on the op of the Windshield
The W166 ML activated the brakes to pull the car back into the lane. Only works on solid road lines. I've experienced it a couple of times in my ML 400.