Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W166)
Has YOUR ML Been Trouble Free?  Love It?  TELL US! >

Has YOUR ML Been Trouble Free? Love It? TELL US!

Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Has YOUR ML Been Trouble Free? Love It? TELL US!

 
Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,016
Received 464 Likes on 349 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Has YOUR ML Been Trouble Free? Love It? TELL US!

There have been at least two folks on this site who seem to feel that their new ML is the absolute worst vehicle they have ever owned. I would like a "show of hands," from those of you who love your new ML and who have found it to be completely or relatively trouble free. What have you got to say about yours?
Streamliner is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Coreysimms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: East Bay Norther Cali
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55AMG
I have only about 3000 miles on my 2014 ML350 Bluetec. Came from the dealer without an issue, and not a single problem yet.(knock on wood). Only problem is we haven't taken enough long road trips yet. It's an absolute joy to drive. Love the diesel power.
Coreysimms is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East part of Texas
Posts: 570
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 CLS550
Bought a beautiful 2012 diamond white ml350 (gas version) in May 2012. It has been the best vehicle I have owned in fifty years of driving cars and trucks. A few weeks after delivery the hatch would not open and close properly and it required a new right shock (an hour and a half job). A few weeks ago the case around the driver's side mirror developed a small stress crack and the mirror was replaced. Both these replacements were under warranty. Other than those minor problems the ML has been problem free, get close to 22 mpg and every button and knob works as it should. Like I said, I have owned almost everything both foreign and domestic over the past half century and this is the best of them all - and by a considerable margin.
shortspark is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Oh Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
So far a perfect vehicle, I love it.
Oh Cool is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:25 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land of OZ- Mornington Peninsula
Posts: 141
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
2013 ML350BT. AMG sport pack, airmatic etc. 12000km

Zero issues. Perfect vehicle.

Mlee. ( ex MB service manager, auto technician, auto teacher, car lover )
MLee is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 356
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
21 months and only back to the dealership for one scheduled oil change.

Perfect.

Flawless.

Excellent.

Quality.




2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA USA
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML 350 BlueTEC
'012 BT, almost every option. 12,XXX miles. Love it.
challer is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
  #8  
skw
Super Member
 
skw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston area
Posts: 571
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLS450
You'll usually read more from those having issues than those who are not. 29k mi so far & only major things (off the top of my head) were a replaced front right shock & engine module software update.
skw is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2000
wow, i guess i'll be the first black sheep to respond with a lemon. after one week in our possession, the 2012 ml350 stalled on us. took back to the dealer, they blame it on bad gas and kept it for a few days. they then said mbusa suggested it's a high-pressure fuel pump defective and replaced it. driving for a few months, the problem returned--intermittent stalling at stop sign. took back to the dealer. they couldn't do anything else and said the software update is on the way. after a few weeks sitting at the dealership, the software update finally came. took it home drive for a few more weeks and the same problem returned. fed up with many trips back and forth with the dealership, i finally contacted mbusa and declared that they must take back the vehicle under the lemon law.
a few months go by of back and forth with mbusa, we finally received the new replacement vehicle. despite being bad luck with the lemon, the performance of the ml350 is excellent. hopefully the new vehicle is closer to flawless than that we experienced the first time.
ML350toy is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 976
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Around 12'000 miles and i am very impressed incredible hp suv!! congrats to Mb and amg the harder driven, the better it feels

Although its already highly modified its been troublefree and its very fast and already enjoyed track days at the amg academy
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Ontario Canada
Posts: 70
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG GLE43 Coupe
Thumbs up

’12 BT, Premium 2, Hitch, Panno, Intelligent Lighting, Navigation – Ordered March 2012 – Delivery June 2012. 47K km/29K mi; Completed A,B, A Service

This is absolutely the best vehicle that we have ever owned/driven. We have ordered numerous new Domestic and Japanese vehicles for personal and professional use. Our dealer is a multi-year Star Dealer (Mercedes Benz Barrie – Ontario, Canada) that provides exceptional customer care and service.

Our vehicle is a daily driver and long trip vehicle. I have recorded the fuel mileage and maintained a cost benefit of purchasing the BT vs. gasoline since delivery. The overall mileage from delivery has been 27.75 MPG (Imperial), 23 MPG (US Gal.) or 9 Ltr/100 Km. This mileage incorporates City/Highway/winter driving conditions. The savings that we have realized on diesel vs. premium gasoline to date is $575.

The cost of maintenance for the first A & B service during the first year was approx. $1,100. I feel that this is reasonable and I expected more for the price of maintaining a luxury SUV. Much lesser vehicles have cost me far more during the same/comparable period/mileage service intervals.

At ten months the right headlight assembly required replacing. One LED segment of the indicator would not light and was barely noticeable. It required a full replacement (part cost approx. $2,600) due to the Bi-Xenon Intelligent Lighting. It was a full no hassle warranty repair. If one does any night driving, the Bi-Xenon Intelligent Light is worth the cost and wait.

The vehicle is best described as ‘Drives like Butter’(a phrase used elsewhere on this forum). It is exceptional during all road conditions especially during winter driving with Pirelli Ice & Snow winter tires.

Improvement
The one element that could be improved is the front seat comfort. I am 6’4” about a foot taller than my wife. Both of our front seats are fully adjustable (including head restraints). However, we are unable to achieve adjustment for complete comfort. If the front of the seat cushion could be adjusted/extended forward and back as is available on the S Class, this would make the seat perfect. Also, if my seat is properly adjusted to accommodate my height, there is no room in the rear seat behind me. This impacts the comfort of passengers.

A technical issue is the ability to subscribe to the traffic link feature on the Nav system through Sirius in Canada. This feature was available on the six month full trial and was/is tremendous in the heavy traffic of the tri-state area, however, it became unavailable when I attempted to include on the renewal subscription. I was advised by Sirius that it is being worked on between MB Canada and Sirius and hopefully will be available soon.

That said, we enjoy the vehicle each and every time we drive it and continue to discover new features on a regular basis.

We appreciate the insight that we have gained from this forum (Thanks to Fabbrisd1 & GregW) pre and post-delivery. Hopefully this feedback helps another reader…”The Best or Nothing”

Last edited by AS705; 12-31-2013 at 04:31 PM.
AS705 is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 223
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
X166 2016 GL63, W212 2014 E63s / GONE: '13 ML550, '10 E63, '09 C63, '07 E63, '00 E55, '99 C43
Almost 9 months and I have zero complaints! Perfect all weather compliment to my 63!

2013 ML550 Steel Grey Metallic/Auburn Brown Leather/Anthracite Poplar, Premium, Lighting and Driving Assistance Packages, Multi-contour heated/cooled seats, 20" AMG wheels, Black Roof liner, Trailer Hitch, AIRMATIC, Night Vision, Pano roof, Tinted Windows
cmginc is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
  #13  
Newbie
 
leandrowlat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166
I have it for more than a year now and 27,000 kms. It went back to dealer once due to shaking while braking, they replaced the brake disk and no complains since then. So far so good.
leandrowlat is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 PM
  #14  
Newbie
 
Jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Wisconsin USA
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB ML350
I'd buy another today. That should help
Jb66 is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM
  #15  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML-350 Bluetec, 2006 Toyota Tundra
2014 BT, Diamond-Silver. Three whole months, and 4,000 miles trouble free.
Madjackdog is offline  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 39
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML550; 2018 C43 AMG; 2016 Porsche GT4
I've had my 2013 ML550 for 18 months, 10,500 miles. It's in the shop right now due to issues that will be covered under warranty. Issue 1: the sporadic engine rattle noise on some cold starts that many other threads have detailed. Issue 2: my media interface will not recognize any phone via the wired method (new control module is being installed). Issue 3: I've always had some subtle front end suspension noise that I viewed to be strut related (noticed at lower speeds when I hit bumps), but in the past few weeks, the noise became much more noticeable and I characterized it as creaking and groaning anytime I came to a stop or pulled away from a stop. It was sounding like those old Fords circa 1970s that always seemed to have squeaky shocks. The mechanic says my front struts need replacing and lucky me, they are on back order in Germany so I will get the ML back tomorrow and wait for the struts to show up someday. Not happy with the issues, particularly the strut issue, and hopefully the mechanic is correct in his/her assessment that the suspension noise I'm hearing is in fact strut related.

All that said, I love this car. It's just the right size for me, it's quiet, comfortable and I love the quality materials, and oh yeah I love the grunt in that twin turbo V8. This vehicle just giddy ups and goes like stink. Despite my current mechanical issues, I'm a long way from ******* this vehicle and hopefully I won't come to know my mechanic on a first name basis going forward.
LoneStarFlyer is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997 C4S; ML350
Originally Posted by LoneStarFlyer View Post
I've had my 2013 ML550 for 18 months, 10,500 miles. It's in the shop right now due to issues that will be covered under warranty. Issue 1: the sporadic engine rattle noise on some cold starts that many other threads have detailed. Issue 2: my media interface will not recognize any phone via the wired method (new control module is being installed). Issue 3: I've always had some subtle front end suspension noise that I viewed to be strut related (noticed at lower speeds when I hit bumps), but in the past few weeks, the noise became much more noticeable and I characterized it as creaking and groaning anytime I came to a stop or pulled away from a stop. It was sounding like those old Fords circa 1970s that always seemed to have squeaky shocks. The mechanic says my front struts need replacing and lucky me, they are on back order in Germany so I will get the ML back tomorrow and wait for the struts to show up someday. Not happy with the issues, particularly the strut issue, and hopefully the mechanic is correct in his/her assessment that the suspension noise I'm hearing is in fact strut related.

All that said, I love this car. It's just the right size for me, it's quiet, comfortable and I love the quality materials, and oh yeah I love the grunt in that twin turbo V8. This vehicle just giddy ups and goes like stink. Despite my current mechanical issues, I'm a long way from ******* this vehicle and hopefully I won't come to know my mechanic on a first name basis going forward.
I know that this thread is supposed to be a lovefest and all but there seems to be quite a few problems even in the cars that people love. I really like the car when it's not in the shop (steering feels a little sloppy but maybe I'm just used to something tighter).

Can you expand on the strut problem. I have something similar but the techs can't ever "replicate" the problem at my dealership. I was thinking that if it really was a problem, it would just get worse over time??? Was there a visible leak on the strut itself??

Last edited by dk10438; 01-03-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
dk10438 is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Phil.mount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mn
Posts: 70
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 350 sold, 2014 Bluetec "Rudy"
Way too early to be a good statistic but 300 miles and 10 days and perfect. 500 mile trip in morning, then 2500 trip end of month. Better info then. Very nice upgrade from 06 ML 350.
Phil.mount is offline  
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 39
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML550; 2018 C43 AMG; 2016 Porsche GT4
Originally Posted by dk10438 View Post
I know that this thread is supposed to be a lovefest and all but there seems to be quite a few problems even in the cars that people love. I really like the car when it's not in the shop (steering feels a little sloppy but maybe I'm just used to something tighter).

Can you expand on the strut problem. I have something similar but the techs can't ever "replicate" the problem at my dealership. I was thinking that if it really was a problem, it would just get worse over time??? Was there a visible leak on the strut itself??
I hate to hijack this thread so I will send you a PM.
LoneStarFlyer is offline  
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Kenn1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
2013 ML550 18k miles
Steel gray
Auburn Designo/satin ash
On/off road package
Premium 1
Airmatic
Driver assistance package
Parktronic
HK stereo
Lighting package
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated front seats
Trailer hitch
Ambient lighting/door sills
Soft close doors
Keyless go
20" AMG wheels
Remote start(mid-city)
Problems:
1. From delivery- subwoofer rattle
2. Approx 3500 miles
-active headlights didn't swivel
-front rotors warped(replaced rotors and pads)
-memory switch lights inoperable
-random downshift while stopping, felt as
Though I was rear ended. Reprogrammed
trans
-drivers door handle sticking(replaced)
3. -6800 miles
-vehicle stuck in park. Started and turned off
Numerous times. After two hours it operated
Normally. MB kept for over a week,
numerous tests, couldn't duplicate.
4. -13,300 miles
-front rotors warped again(replaced rotors and
pads again. Service report stated that it was
due to poor quality of brake material,
replaced with updated brake materials
-speedometer display no longer lights up
when using cruise control. Stopped working
After all the tests for the truck being stuck in
Park. Updated software...
5. -14,900 miles
-command screen randomly blanks out,
Only shows MB symbol
-drivers side soft close door inoperable.
-key fob randomly doesn't work(battery new)
Dealer couldn't duplicate.
-rear parktronic beep stopped working
6. -17,409 miles
-vibration felt in seat and steering wheel
when engine up to temp and stopped while
in gear. (Replaced 2 engine mounts)
-randomly at cold start while pulling away
felt as though it was in low range with
emergency brake applied. When restarted
all was normal. (MB found fault codes in
trans control unit)
-rattle upon start up(since new, was
originally told that it had to do with the
direct injection which I never believed)
MB replaced chain tensioners, oil return
valve... Thanks to reading this forum
7. -while having these issues resolved TWICE
I had a C class with less than 1000 miles
Have massive electrical issues. One
stranded me in the drive thru of a
pharmacy.
I love the truck, the engine is a beast and it
Instant torque though out the rev range. It's handles great, is quiet, looks great and is excellent off road with the on/off road package(I actually go off roading and my last two trucks were grand Cherokees). Sadly though it has had far more problems than I expected in the first 15 months of ownership. My dealership has been outstanding so it's tolerable but it is definitely disappointing.
Kenn1926 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
shagin wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 4Matic
2012 ML350 4matic
20,000 miles

Battery replaced after 2 years (under warranty)
OEM Pirellis were crap, replaced them at 15,000 miles, huge improvement in driving comfort and handling.

that's it! been very reliable.
shagin wagon is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 976
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by shagin wagon View Post
2012 ML350 4matic
20,000 miles

Battery replaced after 2 years (under warranty)
OEM Pirellis were crap, replaced them at 15,000 miles, huge improvement in driving comfort and handling.

that's it! been very reliable.
Which Pirelli's, scorpio?
Thanks :-)
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:35 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East part of Texas
Posts: 570
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by shagin wagon View Post
2012 ML350 4matic
20,000 miles

Battery replaced after 2 years (under warranty)
OEM Pirellis were crap, replaced them at 15,000 miles, huge improvement in driving comfort and handling.

that's it! been very reliable.
What tires did you replace them with?
shortspark is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 255
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We have a 2013 ML350 bluetec for 14 months and the car has 30k miles on it. We love it! Problem free and one of the best luxury suv we have owned. Our 2010 ML350 had 75k miles after 3 years and it was problem free too.

Only issue was crappy damn Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons which vibrated badly and were replaced with similar Pirellis at 1k miles and again at 20k miles the tires started to make cupping noise and vibrated again. Junk tires.

We replaced it with the hallmark Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires and the car rides smoother, handles better, quieter, and better traction in the snow. I had these on the older ML350 so I knew these tires are the best for this SUV.
Baloo588 is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,016
Received 464 Likes on 349 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by Kenn1926 View Post
2013 ML550 18k miles
Steel gray
Auburn Designo/satin ash
On/off road package
Premium 1
Airmatic
Driver assistance package
Parktronic
HK stereo
Lighting package
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated front seats
Trailer hitch
Ambient lighting/door sills
Soft close doors
Keyless go
20" AMG wheels
Remote start(mid-city)
Problems:
1. From delivery- subwoofer rattle
2. Approx 3500 miles
-active headlights didn't swivel
-front rotors warped(replaced rotors and pads)
-memory switch lights inoperable
-random downshift while stopping, felt as
Though I was rear ended. Reprogrammed
trans
-drivers door handle sticking(replaced)
3. -6800 miles
-vehicle stuck in park. Started and turned off
Numerous times. After two hours it operated
Normally. MB kept for over a week,
numerous tests, couldn't duplicate.
4. -13,300 miles
-front rotors warped again(replaced rotors and
pads again. Service report stated that it was
due to poor quality of brake material,
replaced with updated brake materials
-speedometer display no longer lights up
when using cruise control. Stopped working
After all the tests for the truck being stuck in
Park. Updated software...
5. -14,900 miles
-command screen randomly blanks out,
Only shows MB symbol
-drivers side soft close door inoperable.
-key fob randomly doesn't work(battery new)
Dealer couldn't duplicate.
-rear parktronic beep stopped working
6. -17,409 miles
-vibration felt in seat and steering wheel
when engine up to temp and stopped while
in gear. (Replaced 2 engine mounts)
-randomly at cold start while pulling away
felt as though it was in low range with
emergency brake applied. When restarted
all was normal. (MB found fault codes in
trans control unit)
-rattle upon start up(since new, was
originally told that it had to do with the
direct injection which I never believed)
MB replaced chain tensioners, oil return
valve... Thanks to reading this forum
7. -while having these issues resolved TWICE
I had a C class with less than 1000 miles
Have massive electrical issues. One
stranded me in the drive thru of a
pharmacy.
I love the truck, the engine is a beast and it
Instant torque though out the rev range. It's handles great, is quiet, looks great and is excellent off road with the on/off road package(I actually go off roading and my last two trucks were grand Cherokees). Sadly though it has had far more problems than I expected in the first 15 months of ownership. My dealership has been outstanding so it's tolerable but it is definitely disappointing.
Regardless of how much you like this vehicle, it sounds like it has been in the shop way too much and I would file a Lemon Law suit and demand a new one, but that's just me. An ML550 off road! Hard to imagine.
Streamliner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has YOUR ML Been Trouble Free? Love It? TELL US!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: