Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W166)
2014 ML350 - high peak whistle noise issue >

2014 ML350 - high peak whistle noise issue

Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

2014 ML350 - high peak whistle noise issue

 
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
2014 ML350 - high peak whistle noise issue

My 2014 ML 350 has high peak whistle noise (sound like strong wind blow into pipe sound) during the driving. I took it to dealer last two weeks and they had it for couple days and thought they located the problem was due to power steering pump noise. They have it replaced. The last week I drove the car again and the sound still there. I took it back to dealer on the same day and technician did test drive me and agreed that he heard the same noise as I heard.

It is very noticeable noise as you turn off the radio and you will hear it on slow speed driving. I am fine with engine noise but not high peak whistle noise. Funny I took it in today for the service and get the loaner of another ML350. I also could hear similar noise but not as loud as mine. I am wonder if you guys (2014 ML 350 owner) has the similar issue. Now that I found two 2014 ML 350 has the similar noise. Could it be defect of something cause that high whistle noise???
3gmb is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
GregGebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec
I have driven mine for a little over a week now and no whistling sound at any speed.

Hope you find the problem. Sometimes some people are more sensitive to things than others and what one can not stand, the other is not bothered at all. I will be listening today.
GregGebhardt is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  #3  
27T
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 511
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by 3gmb View Post
My 2014 ML 350 has high peak whistle noise (sound like strong wind blow into pipe sound) during the driving. I took it to dealer last two weeks and they had it for couple days and thought they located the problem was due to power steering pump noise. They have it replaced. The last week I drove the car again and the sound still there. I took it back to dealer on the same day and technician did test drive me and agreed that he heard the same noise as I heard.

It is very noticeable noise as you turn off the radio and you will hear it on slow speed driving. I am fine with engine noise but not high peak whistle noise. Funny I took it in today for the service and get the loaner of another ML350. I also could hear similar noise but not as loud as mine. I am wonder if you guys (2014 ML 350 owner) has the similar issue. Now that I found two 2014 ML 350 has the similar noise. Could it be defect of something cause that high whistle noise???
This is the first time I am reading a complaint like this for the ML. It's been out for three years now. It seems like you have some problem. Hopefully someone can help here and at the store. Keep us updated.
27T is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Thanks guys. Let hope the tech can locate the noise. I will keep you guys post it.
3gmb is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW FL
Posts: 144
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
You don't say whether you have a diesel or gasser. If the noise rises and falls with the engine revs, it could be the turbocharger. You can easily hear this whistling sound when driving next to a big rig tractor trailer.
Shrdlu is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
It is gasser. The noise can be hear if the radio is off. As you accelerate, you can hear noise between 10-35 mph. I never test it go higher than 35 mph as I need to pay attention to the road and most of that speed will likely be freeway driving.
3gmb is offline  
Old 04-15-2014, 10:58 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Got the car back. Look like they fix noise humbling issue. Per dealer, they lower the fuel line pressure and the noise went away. Not sure what this will affect on the performance of the car. What you think?
3gmb is offline  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 AM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350
Originally Posted by 3gmb View Post
Got the car back. Look like they fix noise humbling issue. Per dealer, they lower the fuel line pressure and the noise went away. Not sure what this will affect on the performance of the car. What you think?

Did you ever get this to fix? I bought a new 2014 ml350. Took it to the dealer for whistle noise. They said they compared it to 2 other ml350. They are saying it's normal. Can you tell me what exactly did your dealer do?
Andyankur is offline  
Old 05-25-2014, 01:31 AM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
I said sort off. They claim it was the fuel pressure too high. They lower the pressure but some how I am still hearing the peak noise. I was busy so I didn't have time to bring it back. But the noise did lower and not notice able until I really pay attention with radio off.
3gmb is offline  
Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 88
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
I may be completely off track ,
But have you checked with your AC fan totally off or full and then on at different and then check if that iswhat makes a slight whistling sound . Some thing I have noticed at low level fan noise.
emran is offline  
Old 05-26-2014, 12:53 AM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
I heard the whistling noise when radio and fan/ac off. I drove it today but didn't notice the noise. Hopefully it really go ahead for me. Let me know your progress.
3gmb is offline  
Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 AM
  #12  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350
No fix

I took the car to another mb dealer. They could hear the noise but then said they opened a case with mb. Mb says it's normal sound. I have spoken to 2 dealers now and they claim there is no way that they can lower the fuel line pressure. Which dealer did you go to? Anyway you can give me a work order sheet? Will appreciate it.
Andyankur is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM
  #13  
Newbie
 
camomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 2014
I have the same problem, started hearing the noise about 2 weeks ago, took it to the dealership after 4 days of calling back and forth I was told that it is a "normal" sound, I have told them that this is something new and the vehicle did not have this at the time I bough it, and for such price it better not have any sounds. I am taking it to another dealership for second check and making appointment for 1000 mile check, counsulting with an atterney as well since it is a brand new ml350 only had it for 5 months, 4000 miles.
camomile is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
  #14  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
3gmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Sorry guy for the late update. I got mine lower the fuel pressure at Rusnak Arcadia as they claim. The sound now not much noticeable but I think it is still there. I only drive it on the weekend. I will test it again. I once got rental on ML350 on 2014. I also noticed the peak sound occur in that car too. This can be detect for MB 350L model for 2014. Let me know what you guys find out from your side.


Originally Posted by camomile View Post
I have the same problem, started hearing the noise about 2 weeks ago, took it to the dealership after 4 days of calling back and forth I was told that it is a "normal" sound, I have told them that this is something new and the vehicle did not have this at the time I bough it, and for such price it better not have any sounds. I am taking it to another dealership for second check and making appointment for 1000 mile check, counsulting with an atterney as well since it is a brand new ml350 only had it for 5 months, 4000 miles.
3gmb is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 PM
  #15  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350
were you able to contact an attorney. i have dropped the car to almost all the dealers and they just keep the car and 2 days later tell me its a normal sound. i cant believe it. anyone else resolve this whistling noise?
Andyankur is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM
  #16  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4M
My '14 ML350 (gas) also has that whistling noise. I don't remember hearing the noise in the first 1000-2000 miles or may be at that time the radio is always on - not sure. The care is less than 4000 miles/5-month old. It is noticeable at low speed with radio off (or even standing still and rev up the engine). Of course over 35-40 mph the road noise is louder and it is not noticeable.

This is my first Benz and so far I am not impressed with the quality. Granted, it is not supposed to be super quiet like S-Class or Rolls-Royce but the whistling is the noise that should not show up in any car let alone MB.
LilSilverBullet is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 ML350 - high peak whistle noise issue


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: