Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Pothole, now need new tires ;(

Old 09-21-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
Pothole, now need new tires ;(

Okay, hit a big pothole this afternoon and immediately my tire pressure monitor went off. Now I have to replace both front tires.
What do you guys recommend for All Season 265/45/20?
Old 09-22-2014, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Since you are replacing two - and not four - your ONLY option is to replace with same brand/series as on the rear.... tge good thing is you should get Road Hazard for the replacement tire ... if you had had Mercedes wheel/tire all this would have been taken care of under that coverage...
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
Got the car pre-owned and I don't think the previous owner has any tire/wheel warranty on it. I'm going to discount tires tomorrow to pick up a pair... why do I have to get the same brand as the rear? Is this something unique to Mercedes? All my previous cars I was able to order different, I will eventually replace the back 2 as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 ML 350
At the very least you want to keep the 2 tires on the same "axle" the same exact tire as each other to retain as much of the handling characteristics as the car is supposed to have.

For it to be the most stable & predictable, all 4 should be the same tread design/manufacturer/style.

It is NOT unique to MB, but to all vehicles.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
another thing to check is the tire wear on the rear wheels. If you dont have that much thread remaining, the diameter is slightly smaller than bran new tires. On a 4WD, that means the center differential will be constantly spinning to compensate for the difference in wheel speeds. Differentials are not made for that and this can lead to premature failure.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post
Got the car pre-owned and I don't think the previous owner has any tire/wheel warranty on it. I'm going to discount tires tomorrow to pick up a pair... why do I have to get the same brand as the rear? Is this something unique to Mercedes? All my previous cars I was able to order different, I will eventually replace the back 2 as well.
Thats a big mistake. You should never replace 2 sets of tires from different brand and type then the ones you have on the rear. It causes extreme stress on the 4WD transfer case when you have 2 different front tires and 2 different rear tires. Also, you cannot have tires on the front more then 2/32 inch difference or the rolling resistance will hurt the transmission when the wheels are rotating at different speeds.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F85 X5M, 2014 ML550 (Gone), AMG GTS, GLS63
Originally Posted by Baloo588 View Post
Thats a big mistake. You should never replace 2 sets of tires from different brand and type then the ones you have on the rear. It causes extreme stress on the 4WD transfer case when you have 2 different front tires and 2 different rear tires. Also, you cannot have tires on the front more then 2/32 inch difference or the rolling resistance will hurt the transmission when the wheels are rotating at different speeds.
I agree. If you own a mercedes, you should be aware of the tires and maintenance costs. You need to have all 4 tires the same. If you don't, you will mess up for 4matic.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by jchochla View Post
I agree. If you own a mercedes, you should be aware of the tires and maintenance costs. You need to have all 4 tires the same. If you don't, you will mess up for 4matic.
Not all MLs are AWD