M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Factory forgot to install standard ambient lights on new 2016 GLE400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE400
Factory forgot to install standard ambient lights on new 2016 GLE400

I picked up the new GLE400 this past week, and I noticed that the ambient light settings are no where to be found in the vehicle settings. I double checked the owner's manual, it should be located under vehicle settings in the command control unit.

I contacted my dealer, and they told me that most likely the factory didn't install the ambient lights while the car was on the production line. The dealer cannot install it, and they are offering ~$275 for compensation.

This is my first Mercedes. Now I know the ambient lights are not a crucial feature, but they are standard and frankly, I'm disappointed in Mercedes' quality control, especially since this is a new car. And this will definitely have some kind of impact on the future value of this car.

Has anyone else had a similar situation like this? And is it possible for me to get some help directly from Mercedes on this issue? Thanks.

Last edited by remxed; 08-26-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
How many miles have you put on it? I would request a new vehicle equipped properly if you really wanted the amb lighting.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 PM

GLE400
Almost 200 miles. I have a decent commute to work everyday.

I'm not sure if the dealer will honor such a request since I've already driven it off their lot. It's no longer considered a new vehicle.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I would contact MB USA corporate. You aren't going to get much help from the dealer in this situation. However, not installing a feature that comes standard, you would hope that they would make good on that.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350 Sport (W166) / SL500 (R230)
The dealer is in breach of contract and you are within your rights to hand the vehicle back and get a refund of any monies paid. If the dealer ends up out of pocket then that is for them to discuss with MB. I suggest you write to the dealership rejecting the vehicle and if you get nowhere with that then hire a lawyer.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
The ambient lighting was an option previously; not sure about 2016. My point is that the dealer may be at fault if they did not order the car with the option code selected. When I ordered our 2014 the dealer prepared the order then showed it to me to confirm that all the options I desired were on the order.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
based on the mbusa website, ambient lighting is a standard feature for the GLE400. based on looking at owners manuals for 2016 e class (GLE is up on mbusa website yet), ambient lighting can not only be adjusted for color but also for brightness. It should show up in the settings menu. 1st thing I would do is take the car to a MB dealer and confirm that the ambient lighting is not there. My guess is it is there as it is not a separate option on this car. If it is not there, immediately start a phone call with mbusa explaining the problem. I had a similar (but not identical) situation with a 2015 - it took 60 days but was eventually solved by replacing the car. Sales mgr was a gigantic help. If it is a feature you really want, figure out ahead of time "how do you want it solved". Initially they will just throw some minor amount of money at you. Make sure to document all your conversations and always keep your cool. Don't worry about the miles, if they end up taking the car back - it is their problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by sheepdog
based on the mbusa website, ambient lighting is a standard feature for the GLE400. based on looking at owners manuals for 2016 e class (GLE is up on mbusa website yet), ambient lighting can not only be adjusted for color but also for brightness. It should show up in the settings menu. 1st thing I would do is take the car to a MB dealer and confirm that the ambient lighting is not there. My guess is it is there as it is not a separate option on this car. If it is not there, immediately start a phone call with mbusa explaining the problem. I had a similar (but not identical) situation with a 2015 - it took 60 days but was eventually solved by replacing the car. Sales mgr was a gigantic help. If it is a feature you really want, figure out ahead of time "how do you want it solved". Initially they will just throw some minor amount of money at you. Make sure to document all your conversations and always keep your cool. Don't worry about the miles, if they end up taking the car back - it is their problem.

This is good advice, and remember to avoid a blow up. Having the dealer on your side is key. My guess if it is a standard feature for 2016 they will add it or replace the vehicle. I would think you want to get this going before you have too many miles on the vehicle. As stated above, document time and who and what you talk about.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me clarify this for you - your dealer rushed your delivery

Look - let me try to clear this up - at the time you picked up your GLE400W4 - your dealer should have shown/reviewed the spec sheet on that rig - and confirmed with you EXACT features and options they were delivering to you.

The factory did not "forget" anything - the fact is for 1st production GLE400's - the ambient light package 876 was not available - and rigs were built/delivered to dealers without this feature - and that was shown to the dealer clearly on the spec sheet and lower MSRP for the rig as delivered from the factory to the dealer.

The fact the dealer did not review this with you - and that fact is the dealer "rushed the deal" - and it is not on MB.

On ALL spec sheets - bottom of the sheet shows Mercedes/factory reserves the right to change prices/specs without prior notice.

I am personally embarrassed by your dealer - they rushed the sale - and sounds like they charged you full price on top of not informing you of the production change before they delivered to you.

I have attached a pdf of a 1st production GLE400W4 as a example - please see page #2 for the Amibient Light package drop - see the production credit - and also see the Mercedes/factory statement at the bottom - which is on ALL Mercedes build/spec sheets.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GLE400W4.pdf (16.1 KB, 570 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 05:33 PM

GLE400
Thank you for the advice folks.

I already called Mercedes customer care yesterday and explained the situation. I'm waiting for a call back from the regional manager.

I will definitely be keeping documentation of everything.

edit: @fabbrisd1. Thanks for providing that information. I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I'm talking to Mercedes and see what they say.

edit2: I'm also thinking.. the official window sticker for the car did show that it comes with the ambient lights. This window sticker is provided by the manufacturer. Shouldn't it reflect the updated specifications for this batch of GLE400's? So isn't there some fault by Mercedes here?

I didn't know about this secondary specification sheet. I reviewed the Window Sticker before driving out of the dealer. If I had saw a missing standard feature, I would not have picked up the car.

Last edited by remxed; 08-27-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent point re the window sticker. when I had my issue with MB, the first call with MBUSA had their customer service person quote the following: "was it on the window sticker? the window sticker is the legal document" Be persistent but calm. MBUSA website shows ambient lighting as a standard feature.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Yes - these GLE400's did get shipped with original printed window sticker - and you have a point there you should express to MB.

The fact is dealer's were alerted of this before the rigs arrived at the dealer's - and that amended stickers/call-out would be sent out to the dealers from MB next week - and that to make sure customer's were aware of the discrepancy.

Again - the dealer flopped - but there is a valid point with MB on the window sticker..

Good luck !
Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 PM

2016 GLE 400
GLE 400 Ambient Lighting

My new GLE 400 was delivered today. I went to pick it up and on the window sticker, there was a 275 credit for the ambient lighting. I refused the car and they have reordered.

Funny they give us a 275 credit for a option that costs 310 on the GLE 350
Old 08-30-2015, 01:06 PM

2008 SL55 AMG
My GLE 400 was also just delivered without the Ambient Lighting. I did not notice it when I took delivery but discovered it was missing the night of delivery date. The dealer made no mention and did not go over the window sticker with me, just put it in the glove box. Upon checking the sticker, it read that the feature was 'Standard' in one column then 'Omitted' on another with credit for $275 issued. My dealer says they did'nt notice it. But they did tell me the factory had sent them three separate stickers between the time I ordered and time of delivery.

My dealer is questioning MB now. My first comments are; It's a Standard item listed on the MB website and is also listed as Standard on the window sticker! This is not a new feature. I had it on my 2013 ML350 which I turned in. I presume the wiring harness should have this item in place. Perhaps its just a matter of replacing the wood trim and door sil pieces that include the LED's, then uploading the application in the on-board computer.

Im now waiting to hear my dealer's response from MB. Its a little more comforting to know mine wasnt a one-off event. Also, there seems to be more orange lighting in the new vehicle even without the Ambient feature.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
From what I understand - the GLE400's without ambient lighting - the wiring harness is not in place to add back later...
Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 PM

2008 SL55 AMG
Now Ive discovered my new GLE 400 was delivered without passenger seat memory functions. I have the Multi Contour Leather and Ventilated package. The website clearly states that BOTH front seats have a memory function. Im also now seeing that the Premium package and any reference to Ambient Lighting has been removed from the GLE 400 ordering site. However, its showing as an Option on the GLE 350 site.