M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M275 AMG Low Compression #1 cyl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
M275 AMG Low Compression #1 cyl

M275 Low compression #1 2005 CL65 AMG 225,000 miles
So the intake took in some plastic pieces when the Charge Y Pipe which i repaired blew apart. I did a compression test all around and got 150-155 all around except #1 which had 60 psi,( tested it 3 times ) add a little oil and it went up just a little (10psi). I pulled the engine and removed the cylinder heads . I blew air ( leaf blower ) into the head ports and got some really small bubbles using thin oil / trans fluid. I thought that was enough to drop the compression. I tested other cylinders using air and got similar results some small bubbles but not much. I always thought the valves would seal water / oil tight but these didn't.?? (#1 - 2 cylinders ) ? I filled the cylinder (block side) with wd40 and it stayed full, didn't leak out a bit. Funny thing I was getting a PO300 and PO307 nothing about #1. That came up doing a compression test. The head gaskets looked fine ? I removed the piston and everything looked good ? I did hear a slightly different pop in the exhaust note coming from that bank after the Y pipe came apart for sure. I know what my engine sounds like and something was different. Another odd thing is # 1 cylinder was not misfiring at idle, you would think at 60 psi there would be no fire at all in that hole.
summarizing,
Once the compression test showed 60psi I expected to see a definitive issue, Valve issues being first on my list. Now I am second-guessing myself. Did I do something to skew the compression test ? Anyway looking for someone to put some fresh thoughts on this ???
Old 08-19-2018, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
How did the cam lobes and valvetrain look on that cylinder? I'd be more inclined to believe you had a piece go in and hold a valve open and slightly bend it or cause some other sort of damage.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 AM

Cl65 AMG
I was thinking along those lines as well!
The engine ran long enough to melt off any plastic, the cam looks good. but clearly I haven't measured anything dealing with the cam. I plastic-gauged
the #1 rod bearing and it came to 1.5 thousandth, at 225,000 miles !!?? What you said makes sense, but I need to
​​​​​​​keep looking for the problem.

Last edited by driveability; 08-19-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by driveability
I was thinking along those lines as well!
The engine ran long enough to melt off any plastic, the cam looks good. but clearly I haven't measured anything dealing with the cam. I plastic-gauged
the #1 rod bearing and it came to 1.5 thousandth, at 225,000 miles !!?? What you said makes sense, but I need to
keep looking for the problem.
A slightly bent or burnt valve will give you 60psi, i'd start there. You could have a ringland broken on the piston, did you remove it?
​​​​​​​
Old 08-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Cl65 AMG
I did remove the piston and the rings and lands are good. The rings have good tension as well.
Im going to have the heads 're freshest , and start looking into the rest of the engine.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
So after the plastic fell in did you start the engine or just do the compression test? I'd like to here the order that things were done in. Because if it was not run it could have just been the plastic holding valve and letting it leak. And if it ran after that was another test done? Maybe all got blown out and all was good, causing tons of work for nothing.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:16 AM

Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
So after the plastic fell in did you start the engine or just do the compression test? I'd like to here the order that things were done in. Because if it was not run it could have just been the plastic holding valve and letting it leak. And if it ran after that was another test done? Maybe all got blown out and all was good, causing tons of work for nothing.
The Y pipe was cracked and I melted some plastic and patched the lower 1/2 inch. The engine was running smooth at idle and under light load but did misfire at
higher rpm and loads. I replaced the coils and plugs and took the car out and ran it hard, the engine made full boost and pulled hard. It however fell flat on the next run. I didn't feel any boost at all. I drove the car the next day about 30 miles and hit it again hard with nothing but misfires. I took a look under the hood and saw the Y pipe was shattered. The engine ran smooth but did have a slight popping sound which was surely a new occurrence. The sound was coming from the passenger side same side as the #1 cylinder. At that point I did some testing and that lead me to the low compression at #1 cylinder (60 psi).
Old 08-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Cl65 AMG
I want to freshen up the engine, so sourcing the parts, main and rod bearings, timing chain and tensioner, oil pump ?? Is there a place folks use besides the dealers. ???
Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
I think there are a few, here is one I can think of.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/Mercedes-Benz/index-SC.htm

https://www.autohausaz.com/mercedes-...placement.html

Last edited by exhaustgases; 08-21-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Cl65 AMG
Better Yet, You google engine bearings for a M275, V12 bla bla bla. I bet you wont find anything !!!!!
I've searched and found only one listing and I couldn't confirm the figment.
I'm not being lazy here there's just no listings anywhere. Maybe because its an AMG, I'll try the 600 type V12 engines