Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here and need tech help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320
Question New here and need tech help

I haven't been lurking long enough to know all the rules yet, but I have figured out that there are some incredibly saavy mb owners here. I'm hoping someone can help.

I own a 2000 ml320 and have experienced some engine "surging" while driving and at stop signs. It was serviced once for it under the warranty and they replaced a transmission module. It did it a couple more times after wrnty work, not as obvious tho.

Ok, fast forward 9 months. I find myself over a curb and through a grove of trees. I'm thinking I'm one of those idiot female drivers that thought she had her foot on the brake and really it was on the accelerator. I do have a sense of humor about this, but keep reading, please.

So, today my car finally goes into the shop. The sds machine has 6 codes (98, 99, 100, 101, 104, 146) that the dealership doesn't know how to fix. They consult with mb directly and the dealership is to do NOTHING until mb flies in an engineer-special- tech-something-er-other from Chicago to inspect my rig.

Is this common, flying in inspectors? What am I suppose to do until he gets here? Should I be driving it? I have resigned to the fact that I could conceivably be one of those idiots that drives through store fronts.....I'm ok with the label. BUT, is my car safe to drive until the inspector gets here? The dealership was NO help with these questions.

Should this go under the m class forum? Should I have introduced myself somewhere first? ugh....rookie.

Respectfully,
Katie (the curb wrecker)
Old 07-25-2002, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Re: New here and need tech help

Originally posted by Katie
Is this common, flying in inspectors? What am I suppose to do until he gets here? Should I be driving it? I have resigned to the fact that I could conceivably be one of those idiots that drives through store fronts.....I'm ok with the label. BUT, is my car safe to drive until the inspector gets here? The dealership was NO help with these questions.
i've heard of mb flying in sooper dooper master technicians from germany! so yes, i think it isn't uncommon. personally, i would not drive the car until they check it out and fix it.

btw, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:17 AM

...I own a 2000 ml320 and have experienced some engine "surging" while driving and at stop signs. It was serviced once for it under the warranty and they replaced a transmission module. It did it a couple more times after wrnty work, not as obvious tho...Ok, fast forward 9 months. I find myself over a curb and through a grove of trees. I'm thinking I'm one of those idiot female drivers that thought she had her foot on the brake and really it was on the ...The sds machine has 6 codes (98, 99, 100, 101, 104, 146) that the dealership doesn't know how to fix... They consult with mb directly and the dealership is to do NOTHING until mb flies in an engineer-special- tech-something-er-other from Chicago to inspect my rig...Is this common, flying in inspectors? What am I suppose to do until he gets here? Should I be driving it?...BUT, is my car safe to drive until the inspector gets here?...The dealership was NO help with these questions...
I am not English-speaking, but I understood that the car rides by itself? What is the "transmission module"? The ECU that controls the transmission? Did your dealer experience your problem? The fault codes should consist of four figures with a letter in front of it, do you have an outprint? When MB sends an inspector it is probably because they do not want your dealer to replace unnecessary parts that cost a lot. I do not think that you should drive the car until it is fixed. Do you still have warranty? Ask a replacement car. Overhere it is common that inspectors come to the dealership, but they do not have to drive more than approx. 150 kms as Belgium is not that big. German engineers coming over is not that common, but it happens and sometimes cars go back to Germany for examination (maybe not so obvious for the US, but we're neighbours with Germany). Your dealership should be able to reply to some of your questions.
Please explain me exactly what you have experienced in "simple" English (as if you were talking to a child).
Patrick
Old 07-25-2002, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Patrick, I thought the EGS (gearbox ecu), is quite an old design and has numeric fault codes, not the normal SAE letter/4 digit codes ?

It sounds like MB USA is scared that Katie is going to sue MB

I'd also *not* drive the vehicle, and suggest to the dealer that they failed to fix the problem before and should give her a lone car until they fix it

R
Old 07-25-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I'm not sure about the "suing" part, but I am sure they are concerned if the car is not controllable - e.g. drives itself oer curbs etc. That's a major safety issue.

It costs money to have those engineers fly over - MB is apparently taking this very seriously!

I agree with the others - don't drive it, have the dealer provide you with a loaner car.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:03 PM

2008 S550 4Matic P3, Pano, Distronic, Sport
I would not drive it.

You also can inquire with someone at MBUSA headquarters. If you get in touch with the right person, and the dealer is telling the truth, i'll bet they will already know your story.

Who knows, maybe they feel they have a bigger problem and give you a new car. I've heard of ML buyback stories before.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Richard
Patrick, I thought the EGS (gearbox ecu), is quite an old design and has numeric fault codes, not the normal SAE letter/4 digit codes ?
Richard,
Yes and no, it depends on which diagnostic equipment you have and on which car you use it.
All "numeric" fault codes now also have "SAE letter/4 digit codes". For example: the mentioned codes 098, 099 and 100 are in SAE-letter/4-digit code P0753, P0758 and P0763.
All mentioned codes refer to the EGS, except for the 146 (P0700) which is a general code that is generated when the transmission went into emergency operation (I do not know how to explain in English).
Patrick
Old 07-25-2002, 07:14 PM

ml320
Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow for a loaner and for more of an explanation from mb usa.

You'd think if it wasn't safe, they wouldn't even allow the car to leave the lot. The dealership is 80 miles away, so that's a bummer.

Poor thing, all banged up, she looks like a turd (can I say that?) going down the road. Best just leave her in the driveway.

BTW, what kind of transmission emergency? That's very similar to the language the shop used last year when they replaced that module/sensor in the tranny.

Katie
Old 07-25-2002, 07:31 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: Thanks

BTW, what kind of transmission emergency? That's very similar to the language the shop used last year when they replaced that module/sensor in the tranny.
I think this also is called "limp-mode". It's a state when the gearbox only allows the first one (or two) gear(s) to be engaged. Don't quote me on this one! I might be waaaaaaaay off!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:30 AM

Re: Re: Thanks

Originally posted by DtS

I think this also is called "limp-mode". It's a state when the gearbox only allows the first one (or two) gear(s) to be engaged. Don't quote me on this one! I might be waaaaaaaay off!
Only second gear and backwards. These gears can still be used without any electric valves, only pure hydraulic function.
If it goes to "limp-mode" while in another gear than second, it will stay in that gear. Also modulation pressure is not regulated anymore (electric regulating valve) so it works at maximum pressure to prevent the transmission from slipping.
After going in limp-mode, a fault code will always be in memory to tell you why it went into it.
Patrick
Old 07-26-2002, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by patrick
...the transmission went into emergency operation (I do not know how to explain in English)...
Patrick
O.K., now I've heard it, it is called "limp mode" in English.
Patrick