Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Paint codes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk55 amg
Wheel Paint codes.

Just been to a wheel refurbisher who told me that mercedes keep the paint code for the 2003 clk55 amg twin spoke wheels in sterling silver a closely guarded secret. As such he cannot guarantee an exact match to the other wheel on the same side, and suggests both be done to get a match. seems a waste of money. does anyone know the paint code for this wheel.?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by eddieb
Just been to a wheel refurbisher who told me that mercedes keep the paint code for the 2003 clk55 amg twin spoke wheels in sterling silver a closely guarded secret. As such he cannot guarantee an exact match to the other wheel on the same side, and suggests both be done to get a match. seems a waste of money. does anyone know the paint code for this wheel.?
I was looking for the paint code for the darker gray wheel centers for the 2005 SLK AMG (I don't own the car, but have AMG wheels) and could not get the number. The Benz dealer told me that a paint shop will need to manually match the color as they do not have or know of the color code.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk55 amg
If indeed the dealer did try and get this information then i must say this is not a very nice way for MB to treat owners of their cars. You damage a rim(easily done), and on the basis that MB will not divulge the paint code for the wheels, I would expect them to at least offer a refurb option through their dealers so that we can get a decent match. the alternatives are to have mismatched wheel colours or having to buy a new wheel. If indeed MB will not supply the correct code to their dealers, then their attitude to this matter is both petty and childish - where is the harm in letting us have this information. MB are you listening?????? Maybe a few letters to their Chief Exec. in Germany will do the trick.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
same issue

I have checked everywhere but no color code is given. I was told though, that Sterling Silver (as this color is called) is some sort of spray on mixture that has to be specially baked on. It's not the straight forward spray on paint, spray on gloss, and wait for it to dry. I believe they are keeping the code and paint process a secret because only Mercedes have this paint color available for their special wheel rims. I have seen other manufacuterer attempts at this type of shiny super reflective silver but none come close. I must admit it is the most shiny reflective silver ever! It looks very nice when you pass another Mercedes with the sterling silver alloys!

I guess the only way to refurbish them is to send them to whoever the OEM supplier is but it might just be cheaper to buy a new alloy.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Nothing wrong with a company protecting a trade secret.

Patents and copyrights have a long, positive tradition in our society.

My, but isn't our "entitlement" culture getting out of hand?

The original purchaser of a new Mercedes has a "contract" with Mercedes that stipulates what Mercedes owes him/her. Subsequent purchasers have only protections afforded by federal laws, mostly having to do with safety and emissions and rights to have independent mechanics service the car. Neither, apparently, have access to the "trade secret" wheel paint formula, as similarly none of has access to the formula for Coca Cola, etc.

Oh, and suppose there might be some problem besides paint when you "damage a rim?" Paint might not be all that is needed. Want to pay for the bureaucracy that inspects every "damaged" wheel?

You of course don't know that MB doesn't share information with professionals like Wheel Collision Center.

"Listen" and learn eddieb.

Last edited by lkchris; 07-07-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk55 amg
Ooooh, what a lecture lkchris, do you work for MB. Thanks for the link by the way-not much good to me in the UK though.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
Any decent bodyshop should be able to match the paint very close. You are putting the wheels on opposite sides of the vehicle so unless the color is way off, you won't be able to tell the differance.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk55 amg
One wheel damaged only - therefore i cannot put the wheel on the opposite side as i would then always have the problem of a mismatch front to back on the same side.