Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stuck in park

Hey Folks,

I'm hoping for some help, today my ML320 could not change from park to any other gear. Before this happended the BAS ESP light came on intermitently and continued to drive, until we parked and got on with our day.

After a few hours we returned to the car and although it started OK we couldnt change gears - stuck in park.!!

many times over a one hour period we turned the car off and on with no change - but, for some reason things began to work - at that time I noticed the BAS ESP light was no longer on..

Can anyone shed some light to this, I'd love to find out if the BAS ESP light caused this??

thanks very much in advance..

den
Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
This sounds like you have a faulty stop lamp switch. This is comman fault and will give the exact symptoms you describe.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M3, E55, SL55
hes right, if u ever want to get out of park there is a little hole by the shift lever. insert a pen and push in there it will release the shift lever.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by sergs99m3
hes right, if u ever want to get out of park there is a little hole by the shift lever. insert a pen and push in there it will release the shift lever.

You can release the shifter but CAUTION. If the stop light switch is defective brake lights won't come on and POSSIBLE that if you engage the cruise control it won't release when you apply the brakes due to the defective switch. I actually had this happen to me and I was really suprised when the cruise would not disengage. It took what I would consider excessive brake pressure (which given the situation on the exit ramp was available ). So if you decide to bypass the interlock to drive the car DON"T USE THE CRUISE CONTROL vettdvr
Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by vettdvr
You can release the shifter but CAUTION. If the stop light switch is defective brake lights won't come on and POSSIBLE that if you engage the cruise control it won't release when you apply the brakes due to the defective switch. I actually had this happen to me and I was really suprised when the cruise would not disengage. It took what I would consider excessive brake pressure (which given the situation on the exit ramp was available ). So if you decide to bypass the interlock to drive the car DON"T USE THE CRUISE CONTROL vettdvr
im suprised u were able to activate the cruise control with a defective stop lamp switch!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by vettdvr
The brake light switch has many functions and components. Soetimes the switch will fail and the stop lights will still work. The cruise control is not supposed to operate at all if any part of the switch has failed. As far as leaving Park with a failed switch it usually will allow this. There are numerous other failures that will not allow you to leave park not involving this switch, some of which are failed solinoid at the shifter, bad or misadjusted cable between the ignition and the shifter etc, etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM

2000 s500
Still stuck in park

My 2000 s500 is stuck in park. I replaced the brake switch by the brake pedal and is still stuck. I hear it click but won't release, any other ideas? there are no fault codes and all lightd work. Where is the hole on the automatic so I can take it for service?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by cbsmopass
My 2000 s500 is stuck in park. I replaced the brake switch by the brake pedal and is still stuck. I hear it click but won't release, any other ideas? there are no fault codes and all lightd work. Where is the hole on the automatic so I can take it for service?
Thanks,
Scott

Does it have keyless go?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 AM

You guys may laugh at this suggestion, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. My dad spilled a coke in my previous car. Lo and behold a week later I couldn't shift it out of park. Managed to get it to a dealer, and it turns out that when the coke dried it was in little crystal formations that kept anything from moving. I have never forgotten that just a little bit of coke managed to seep it's way through the cracks and gum up the works! Your problem may be more technical, but you never know...
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 PM

you are gonna need a egs, electronic gear selector, i did one recently on a cl500 and it was on back order.... but u can slam it out of park w/ a rubber mallet to the shift lever. and just park it in neutral w/ the e brake on till you get the selector.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM

yeah but remeber to remove the top of the selector first!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 S500
Repair solution for W220, C215 and R230 Only

I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.