Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with overheating 1985 500 sel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 500 sel
Help with overheating 1985 500 sel

I'm overheating once the car gets warm whether I'm driving or sitting, once it gets too hot smoke starts coming from the back of the engine, I've changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator I doubt its the water pump because I got the pressure checked and it was normal, the front fan which I believe is for the A.C. isn't working I found out it was unplugged but can't figure out where to plug it into, is it possible that is the cause of my problem? If not does anybody have any more suggestions, greatly appreciated

- Heisman
Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 PM

1985 500 sel
me again upgrading

My car
is overheating and once it gets too hot, it starts to smoke from the back of the engine, I changed the water pump, thermostat and flushed the radiator, also my a/c fan isn't working because it is unplugged and I don't know where to plug it into, does anyone know? lastly on the right side of the engine there is a hole that seems like something should be plugged in there, should there be or is it just a bleeder valve?, I also just realized i'm leaking oil from the pan, is it possible plugging in the a/c fan and fixing the oil leak could help with the overheating? if not what should i do? your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM

1989 W201 1999 W210
Do you have a hole in one of your hoses or maybe your radiator is bad? Check the cap to your reserve because it might be loose.

I had the same problem with my car overheating. I had a small hole in my radiator.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
see signature
What does your Oil look like

What does your Oil look like? Pull the dipstick, open the cap...is it "frothy" or look like its mixed with another fluid?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 AM

1985 500 sel
The coolant smells like gas and i found out i have a bad head gasket, but the lowest quote i got to fix it so far was $2500, does anyone know if those gasket sealers work? I knoww they cost about a hundred bucks and thats obviously a huge difference compared to $2500, let me know thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
see signature
It sounded like a head gasket thats why I asked about the oil. Open up the oil cap and look at the oil. Give me a description of the oil. I can help more based on the description of the oil... I'd bet it is "frothy" but let me know.
I wouldn't waste time on "sealer products"

Last edited by chicago_fog; 02-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HeismanDiablo
The coolant smells like gas and i found out i have a bad head gasket, but the lowest quote i got to fix it so far was $2500, does anyone know if those gasket sealers work? I knoww they cost about a hundred bucks and thats obviously a huge difference compared to $2500, let me know thanks
Sealer products will just ruin your engine.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
Diablo,
We have to regroup here. How do you know you need a head gasket? What test was performed to determine that.? What does the temp gauge read when you get smoke from the engine? I will send you a private email.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 190E 2.6
Call me ghetto, but I dumped in a bottle of Bar's Engine Stop Leak and it stopped the leaking in my 1990 300SEL. Only cost me $3.00 at Walmart too. Now I dont have to fill up the motor oil cause of the leak and my coolant doesnt get used up.

Your fan needs to be plugged in. It will turn on at the low speed setting when the AC is on and then the high setting when the car is past the 110 degree mark. Check the fuse. My 1993 190E 2.6 kept cooking too and the mechanic in Las Vegas said I need a radiator and AC compressor. Thank god my dad is a mechanic. He said check the fuse for rust. Sure enough the fuse was oxidized. I switched it and my cooling problems were gone. The AC works fine too. It was just a .20 cent fuse. Check yours and periodically twist them left and right in the fuse box to loosen condensation up if you live in a hot and humid area or a cold and high moisture area.