Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old synthetic oil in my engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Old synthetic oil in my engine

My car was built in Nov. of 2007 it is now Feb. of 2009 and my Mercedes has 1500 miles on it. I just bought it in Dec. of 2008 with 20 miles on it. The dealer/mechanic claims that I don't need to have the oil and filter changed until 1 year and or 12K miles from the date that I bought the car. He also stated that the high grade synthetic they put in the Mercedes Benz's engine is fine setting in a unused engine for 4-5 years. I plan on having it changed before next Dec. but I would like to wait until I get about 4-5K miles on the car/oil which will be around May of this year. Thoughts???
Old 02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
What a load of BS.
The oil has to be changed every year regardless of miles.
The car should be telling you when it wants an oil change, after a year, or due to miles, or if you have FSS which apparently has been eliminated in the W204, it will even tell you based on the oil quality sensor. This only holds true if you're using MB approved oil and filters.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by acr2001
What a load of BS.
The oil has to be changed every year regardless of miles.
The car should be telling you when it wants an oil change, after a year, or due to miles, or if you have FSS which apparently has been eliminated in the W204, it will even tell you based on the oil quality sensor. This only holds true if you're using MB approved oil and filters.
It is a 2008 CL550 and it has a FSS indicator that went off showing service A. When I took it in the other day to pay for the service A (with only 1500 miles on the CL550 that I bought new 12/08) they came back and said they did the free 3K mile check but that I did not need a oil change until 12/09 and that my FSS should of been reset at the time of delivery. I hope that helps explain what happened. My plan now is to drive it for the next couple of months until I get 4-5K miles and have the A service done earlier then next December. Will probably have 4-5K miles on it by June. My question is about how long the oil is really good for. Dealer said it could sit in a engine for 4-5 years and still be good. I will always own this vehicle under warranty so if they steered me wrong it will cost MB not me, but I have heard that synthetic oil is good for years and a lot more miles like 25K+ without hurting a normal engine.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
It is a 2008 CL550 and it has a FSS indicator that went off showing service A. When I took it in the other day to pay for the service A (with only 1500 miles on the CL550 that I bought new 12/08) they came back and said they did the free 3K mile check but that I did not need a oil change until 12/09 and that my FSS should of been reset at the time of delivery. I hope that helps explain what happened. My plan now is to drive it for the next couple of months until I get 4-5K miles and have the A service done earlier then next December. Will probably have 4-5K miles on it by June. My question is about how long the oil is really good for. Dealer said it could sit in a engine for 4-5 years and still be good. I will always own this vehicle under warranty so if they steered me wrong it will cost MB not me, but I have heard that synthetic oil is good for years and a lot more miles like 25K+ without hurting a normal engine.
Thats absolutely incorrect. The oil has to be replaced every year regardless of millage because as soon as the bottle is poured into the engine it is exposed to all kinds of combustion byproducts that age it while it is sitting. As far as mileage, you will probably sludge your engine if you go 25k+ between oil changes. If you do that your warranty is toast. MB extends the oil change intervals quite a bit with the FSS, this is the maximum you want to go. MB was sued at one point because engines were sludging up due to the wrong filter and non mb approved (but still synthetic) oil. Even with the right oil and filter you may very well be paying for a new engine if you do what you're talking about. The warranty is toast as soon as the dealer can prove you haven't been changing your oil when FSS tells you to. FSS will tell you to change your oil EVERY year and roughly every 13k miles. Whichever comes first.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Thats absolutely incorrect. The oil has to be replaced every year regardless of millage because as soon as the bottle is poured into the engine it is exposed to all kinds of combustion byproducts that age it while it is sitting. As far as mileage, you will probably sludge your engine if you go 25k+ between oil changes. If you do that your warranty is toast. MB extends the oil change intervals quite a bit with the FSS, this is the maximum you want to go. MB was sued at one point because engines were sludging up due to the wrong filter and non mb approved (but still synthetic) oil. Even with the right oil and filter you may very well be paying for a new engine if you do what you're talking about. The warranty is toast as soon as the dealer can prove you haven't been changing your oil when FSS tells you to. FSS will tell you to change your oil EVERY year and roughly every 13k miles. Whichever comes first.
I don't think you read my post??? I stated I took my new 2008 CL550 in when the FSS indicated a service A be done. THE DEALER RESET THE FSS WITHOUT CHANGING THE OIL and told me that since I bought the car in Dec. of 2008 that the FSS should of been reset at that time and that I was not really due for a service A until Dec. of 2009 or 12000 miles whichever came first. I questioned the fact that the oil had been in my car for over 1 year even though it only had 1500 miles on it and they stated that the oil was fine. I'm covered from a warranty standpoint since it was the dealer that reset the FSS and it looks like this is common practice with MB dealers when they deliver new cars. They did it on my SL. From what I've read on www.bobistheoilguy.com others have run Mobil 1 0w40 oil which is used in my MB was still great and good for further use after 20 months and 18K miles in a 2006 CLK. So I believe I won't hurt anything if I drive my CL a couple of more months and put 4-5K miles on this oil before doing a oil/filter change.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
1995 SL500 - 2017 AMG GLC 43
I don't think you read my post??? I stated I took my new 2008 CL550 in when the FSS indicated a service A be done. THE DEALER RESET THE FSS WITHOUT CHANGING THE OIL and told me that since I bought the car in Dec. of 2008 that the FSS should of been reset at that time and that I was not really due for a service A until Dec. of 2009 or 12000 miles whichever came first. I questioned the fact that the oil had been in my car for over 1 year even though it only had 1500 miles on it and they stated that the oil was fine. I'm covered from a warranty standpoint since it was the dealer that reset the FSS and it looks like this is common practice with MB dealers when they deliver new cars. They did it on my SL. From what I've read on www.bobistheoilguy.com others have run Mobil 1 0w40 oil which is used in my MB was still great and good for further use after 20 months and 18K miles in a 2006 CLK. So I believe I won't hurt anything if I drive my CL a couple of more months and put 4-5K miles on this oil before doing a oil/filter change.
Who are you going to believe, the dealer or someone on the Internet that you don't know? Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I'm getting it changed this afternoon. But the whole thing seems strange? Kind of 2 sets of rules, one for the dealer and one for us after we buy the car. My car was a year old the month I bought it. Seems to me the dealer should of done a oil/filter change before I bought the car???
Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lee Wireless
Who are you going to believe, the dealer or someone on the Internet that you don't know? Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Do you have the slightest clue what you're talking about? The dealers lie all the time. Take some time and read this forum, do some searches, then open your mouth. The oil has to be changed every year, the OWNERS MANUAL says it, the COMPUTER IN THE CAR tells you to change it every year or xxx mileage, and everyone here on the forums agrees. Don't comment on things that you have NO clue about.

To the OP, sorry I didn't want to get into the details about what your dealer did, I thought it would be easier to just explain the 'rules' as far as oil changes. I'm sure you'll be fine if you do it this once, but personally it's not something I would do. If you're really interested in finding out how long you can wing it, you might be interested in sending an oil sample to a lab for testing next time you change the oil. It costs somewhere around $20, and other forum members have done it. You get a very detailed report including info on whether or not you could have gone longer before the oil change.

Last edited by acr2001; 02-13-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Consider the oil sits on the shelf in the bottle for years and it is still good. Why is sitting in the pan in a sealed engine bad? Granted It might have been started a few times, but how much contaminates get in the oil for a few starts. I would drive it,, but then I do have my own opinion as everyone else.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM

CLS63, GLK350
I changed it and will change it every 5-6K miles or 1 year which ever comes first. When you have a car that lists for close to $120K why should I try to save on service intervals.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Consider the oil sits on the shelf in the bottle for years and it is still good. Why is sitting in the pan in a sealed engine bad? Granted It might have been started a few times, but how much contaminates get in the oil for a few starts. I would drive it,, but then I do have my own opinion as everyone else.
I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. What is your definition of "sealed"? Why do you think the oil turns black within days of changing it? Combustion byproducts regularly slip into the oil. Once that happens the engine is permanently "contaminated" with these byproducts (which is perfectly normal). Oil in the bottle and oil in an unused engine are two COMPLETELY different things. It undergoes oxidation and changes to its chemistry once exposed to the inside of your engine. The air alone causes it to break down once the bottle is opened up. I am so sick of people without a clue giving out misinformation. Why the hell do you think EVERYONE recommends it be changed every year? Read the manual!!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I changed it and will change it every 5-6K miles or 1 year which ever comes first. When you have a car that lists for close to $120K why should I try to save on service intervals.
Glad you changed it. You probably don't have to change it every 5-6k, I would wait for FSS to ask for an oil change. But it can't hurt to change it sooner. The FSS system will also remind you to change the oil in one year regardless of mileage.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
1995 SL500 - 2017 AMG GLC 43
I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. What is your definition of "sealed"? Why do you think the oil turns black within days of changing it? Combustion byproducts regularly slip into the oil. Once that happens the engine is permanently "contaminated" with these byproducts (which is perfectly normal). Oil in the bottle and oil in an unused engine are two COMPLETELY different things. It undergoes oxidation and changes to its chemistry once exposed to the inside of your engine. The air alone causes it to break down once the bottle is opened up. I am so sick of people without a clue giving out misinformation. Why the hell do you think EVERYONE recommends it be changed every year? Read the manual!!
Ditto.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 190E 2.6
Yeah change it for prevention of repair bills and also you from entering the SLUDGE posse. Dump in some Auto RX too and clean out the engine just incase it has some sludge or varnish.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by Runninrebel211
Yeah change it for prevention of repair bills and also you from entering the SLUDGE posse. Dump in some Auto RX too and clean out the engine just incase it has some sludge or varnish.
I changed it at 1500 miles on the oil. The oil was new 12 months old with 20 miles on the car the 1st of the year. I would never put Auto Rx in a car, that I've own since I alway change the oil regularly in my vehicles. I'm not worried about sludge in a new car with 1500 miles and now new synthetic oil in the engine.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM

07 S550
For $100-$150 why take a chance. It's your car and you need to tell the dealer what to do.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 240
SL2003

I came across your thread a bit late... however in 2006 I was in precisely the same situation. I had just bought a 2 y/o CLK with only 1600 miles on the clock, and no service since delivery.

Unlike you, I insisted on an oilchange before I accepted the car, and service period was reset. Consequently, at about 12k miles the FSS was asking me to do a B service. I ignored that, and did a DIY oilchange and A type inspection. I reset the display to get a B type at 23k miles.

What was not referred to by anyone in the thread above is that synthetic oil comes in two MB specs.

MB 229.3 for pre-2002 engines. Good for 20k km (11k miles)
MB 229.5 for post 2002 engines, Good for 30k km (16k miles, using a fleece filter)

They say nothing about '1 year' so I would ignore all references to that.

So. in summary, you could have skipped your recent oilchange, but at least you now have a new timeline for future servicing. And why not do it yourself?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by moondust
SL2003

I came across your thread a bit late... however in 2006 I was in precisely the same situation. I had just bought a 2 y/o CLK with only 1600 miles on the clock, and no service since delivery.

Unlike you, I insisted on an oilchange before I accepted the car, and service period was reset. Consequently, at about 12k miles the FSS was asking me to do a B service. I ignored that, and did a DIY oilchange and A type inspection. I reset the display to get a B type at 23k miles.

What was not referred to by anyone in the thread above is that synthetic oil comes in two MB specs.

MB 229.3 for pre-2002 engines. Good for 20k km (11k miles)
MB 229.5 for post 2002 engines, Good for 30k km (16k miles, using a fleece filter)

So. in summary, you could have skipped your recent oilchange, but at least you now have a new timeline for future servicing. And why not do it yourself?

Thanks for the input. The dealer service rep tried to talk me out of doing the oil/filter change and just change the service reminder. I agreed with most on the board, when you own a $120K vehicle why try and save a few $$ on a oil/filter change. I use to do all my grease and oil/service changes but now I am just too lazy.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by moondust

Are you insane? The owners manual says 1 year. The car itself TELLS YOU to change the oil automatically after 1 YEAR - EVERY YEAR.

Sometimes I wonder if It's opposite day.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM

07 S550
Synthetic in any car is only recommended for one year. I have many collector cars and I change the oil at least once a year, even if I only put on 50 miles.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I bought my C300 in Sept of 08 and recently realized that I have a Nov 07 build date. It seems the dealer reset my service indicator at purchase even though the oil had been in there 10 months.
I have 4700 miles on the odometer and am calling the dealer tomorrow to request/demand a free oil change.
I agree with ACR2001 that once the oil is circulated in the engine, even for a very short period of time, the clock starts. The combustion byproducts begin breaking the oil and detergent properties down regardless of mileage.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I bought my C300 in Sept of 08 and recently realized that I have a Nov 07 build date. It seems the dealer reset my service indicator at purchase even though the oil had been in there 10 months.
I have 4700 miles on the odometer and am calling the dealer tomorrow to request/demand a free oil change.
I agree with ACR2001 that once the oil is circulated in the engine, even for a very short period of time, the clock starts. The combustion byproducts begin breaking the oil and detergent properties down regardless of mileage.
I know with the Mobil 1 you did not hurt the engine but I wanted mine changed so I went to the dealer I am going to use and paid for a oil/filter change and had the service indicator reset for 12 months from purchase. Makes for some shorter oil/filter change intervals but that is ok with me.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Sealed?. (Feel free to have your own definition)

The engine pulls a vacuum on the crankcase to remove contaminates. There has to be a sealed crankcase with PVC system in place to remove vapors. IF the engine is turned off , it is still a closed system, and not running there is no blowby. The synthetic oil has a different construction than dino oils.
I have been running synthetic oils for at least 40 years since the first M1 came out. Many engines ran well over 200000 miles with never an issue. Even when I left one in storage and did not change oil until the system called for it. But if you want to change every 5 to 6 K miles your choice and your $$.

But I just follow the MB FSS built into the car and use 229.5 oils with fleece filters. I only change when the FSS calls for change. I follow MB recommendations.

BTW looked at new S series today but didn't care for the white.

If I could not afford to drive and break the car I wouldn't buy it. If the car breaks they still build new ones. I will just go buy another.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 240
Do you have the slightest clue what you're talking about? The dealers lie all the time. Take some time and read this forum, do some searches, then open your mouth. The oil has to be changed every year, the OWNERS MANUAL says it, the COMPUTER IN THE CAR tells you to change it every year or xxx mileage, and everyone here on the forums agrees. Don't comment on things that you have NO clue about.
acr2001

I refer you to document 'M-B Approved oils' which details many brands of oils suitable for M-B with different build dates. Listed are the drain distances for oils to the following M-B specifications: MB sheet 229.1, 229.3 and 229.5. Nowhere is it suggested that the life of any oil is 1 year. The M-B specifications are entirely about drain distances in miles/kms.

So please advise us here where do you get your information about 1 year from?

My service manual tells me to comply with the ASSYST program, not the calendar.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Based on oil analysis that I have looked at on www.bobistheoilguy.com Mobil 1 is good for more then 1 year and over 10K miles. I decided to go ahead and change mine at only 1500 miles with the oil 14 months old because it only cost me $60 on a car that cost $120K, figured the risk reward ratio was in my potential favor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Old synthetic oil in my engine