Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kleemann kompressor 1998

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210/W202/W164
kleemann kompressor 1998

Hello kleemann experts ,

I have a w202 ,c180 with a kleemann kompressor in it.

I always heard a strange noise when the engine is idling , out of curiosity I turned the front part of the kompressor open , and I was shocked to see inside a piece of a broken part it was a hard plastic material (see photo).

Can someone help me what kind of part it is and maybe the funktion of that part.
Attached Thumbnails kleemann kompressor 1998-motor-c180.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-broken-part-coupling..jpg  
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM

W210/W202/W164
kompressor

Hi,

Problem is solved , i have ordered that part from kleemann Denmark it's a plastic star coupling that sits between the nickel coupling.

Special thanks to Claus Ankjaer C.E.O .
Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Glad u fixed .

Andy
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 AM

E28K 4M - SLK 200K
Broken bearing befhind the pully on Kleemann drive shaft

Any Kleemann experts out there today,

On a E280 4M 2000mod, Kleemann compressor with electric waterpump, it looks like the bearing just behind the pully is broken, metallical bad noise if started and some fragments of metal dust located under the component.

Anyone have a good solution of how to fix this, without needing to buy a complete mouth of compressor (EUR2000 from Kleemann).

Also do anoyone have a technical description of how to take off the part and refit it again, understand that the compressor gearbox position must be exactly in the same position when the part is refitted?

Picture of the part (mouth of compressor) is attached.

Many thanks for advices.

Hansa

Originally Posted by patakka
Hello kleemann experts ,

I have a w202 ,c180 with a kleemann kompressor in it.

I always heard a strange noise when the engine is idling , out of curiosity I turned the front part of the kompressor open , and I was shocked to see inside a piece of a broken part it was a hard plastic material (see photo).

Can someone help me what kind of part it is and maybe the funktion of that part.
Attached Thumbnails kleemann kompressor 1998-kleemann-comp-drive-belt-wheel.jpg  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 AM

W210/W202/W164
kompressor

Hi ,

You should not drive the car , otherwise your lubricant pipeline of your kompressor will clogged with metal or plastic particles.

To know exactly what is going on , you must datach the front part of your kompressor , first you have to remove the powersteering pump , and than the bracket see photos.

It is not difficult , and you can order the parts through : ca@kleemann.dk

On my kompressor the green plastic star was broken , and that cost me 21 euro's.
Attached Thumbnails kleemann kompressor 1998-bearing.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-c-180-kleemann-009.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-new-plastick-coupling.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-parts.jpg  
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM

E28K 4M - SLK 200K
Thanks for reply! Of course the car remain parked until problem solved.
Will remove the front piece, pully, shaft and bracket bolted to compressor front and check if problem is the plastic part (would be nice to resolve for EUR21).
Though have spoken with Kleemann today and according Claus Ankjaer whole piece needs to be replaced and now price tag is EUR900...

Further according Kleemann to get it released from the compressor unit, the compressor bolts must be loosened, then the front of compressor must be liftet approx 1-2 cm in order to get damaged front piece off, to install new part, same procedure of loosen compressor unit an lift the front to get part in place.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:09 AM

E28K 4M - SLK 200K
The drive unit has been taken off, though not possible without taking whole Kleemann compressor unit of the engine....
The bearing behind the pulley was total destroyed, thus causing the drive shaft to be overheated...the thyssen coupling (plastic) that connects the drive shaft with the compressor shaft was broken in 3 pieces.

If you have Kompressor kit installed, make sure to check the moving parts from time to time, especially bearings and couplings close to the drive belt area, like pulley and waterpump. Evaluate to invest in new parts after 20k-30k km then you may avoid getting the same problem.

Originally the Klemmann Compressor on my E2804M was installed with mechanical water pump, this failed 3 times, due to the bearings, then Kleemann installed a electrical waterpump (standad on V8), much better solution and less problems (moving parts in the drive belt area are risky, due to the extream high torque force this parts are exposed to).

The performance on my E2804M after convertion to Kleemann, one needs minimum a MB500 with the 386hk engine to ruin my day.

Kleemann is comfort power, but I miss a better maintenance schedule to keep the Compressor and moving parts in good shape for years. A guideline that info normal life cyclus on vital parts and suggested km to service would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails kleemann kompressor 1998-pulley-bearing-failure.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-rear-end-drive-unit-thyssen-coupling.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-thyssen-coupling-failure.jpg   kleemann kompressor 1998-drive-untit-shaft-overheated.jpg  
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM

W210/W202/W164
kompressor

Good advice

Have you replaced only the broken parts, or the total front drive unit .
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM

E28K 4M - SLK 200K
The whole front unit (drive unit) must be replaced, pricetag EUR900.
There is a new design of the drive unit, will post a photo when I have it from Kleemann next week.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 PM

W210/W202/W164
kompressor

Originally Posted by Hansa01
The whole front unit (drive unit) must be replaced, pricetag EUR900.
There is a new design of the drive unit, will post a photo when I have it from Kleemann next week.

Nice , i look forward to the pictures