Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W203 - strange noise from suspension.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Question W203 - strange noise from suspension.

Hi MB-techs,

My W203 makes some creaking/ratteling sounds when going over small bumps or rough surfaces at low speed. Sounds like something is loose/broken in the region around the front suspension. Since I'm not a very good mechanic myself I would appreciate some help in diagnosing this problem.

These sounds are only apparent when driving slow, and dissapears when driving fast. Mysterious...

Any advice, help, or tip would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

/Daniel
Old 02-22-2004, 09:12 PM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
More then likely you need the front sway bar links and bushings. There are new updated parts available at the dealers to fix this. As long as the car is still under warranty, they will fix it for free.
This is a very comon problem on the 203's.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:56 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Thanks Mercedes Tuner for your reply! Highly appreciated

Is there any fairly easy way to check out whether the front sway bar links and bushings are infact what is causing this problem. Since my car is out of warranty - is it an expensive fix?

Or is it something I, with normal effort and regular tools, could fix by myself?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:53 PM

if it is swaybar endlinks, you can fix it yourself with little effort. It should only take you like 10 minutes per side, if that.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:35 PM

11 ML350
The front sway bar bushings and endlinks do this all the time and they are covered under warrenty.
So just let the dealer do it next time you take it in for service.

Brian
Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Thanks nov0798 and redcoupe for your replies.

Well, the warranty is out since almost 2 years ago, so I guess I'd either will fix it myself (if I'm able to to that) or pay my dealer to fix it for me.

Is it dangerous or harmful to drive the car with these faulty links/bushings? Do you think I should bring the car in immediately or can I safely wait another 8000 kms until the next sceduled service?

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:09 PM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
For some reason, it seems like my e-mail notifications aren't working? Sorry that I haven't replied.

It is not harmful to drive your car with them being the way they are. All they do is make an annoying noise when you hit bumps at low speeds. After a great length of time, it is possible for the links to fail, however, it will not cause any serious conditions if it does.

With the proper tools, the job can be done in less then an hour. For the average person, I'll give them 2.

To remove the sway bar links, you need an 18mm wrench or ratchet and 18mm socket. A vise grip is the easiest tool to use to hold the washer on the opposite side. Just take the nuts off, and your done. 2 nuts hold each link.

The sway bar bushings are a little more complicated, however are still straight forward. I foget the actual size off hand, but I think its either a size 30 or 40, inverted torx socket, a long extension and a ratchet. 2 long bolts hold each bracket on, there are 2 brackets. Loosen all 4 screws, then remove side at a time, once you remove one bracket, you will need to hold that side of the sway bar up, so you can remove the screws from the other bracket. (Warning: These Screws have a tendency to strip upon removal) Drop both sides of the sway bar together, then remove the brackets. Do one bracket and bushing at a time, that way you won't install the bushing and the bracket backwards. Use a good grease, or wheel bearing grease on the inside of the bushings. Use that same grease on the first half of the screws before installation. Thread the screws in by hand! And tighten to about 25 ft lbs.

Last edited by Mercedes Tuner; 02-24-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:41 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Many, many thanks to you Mercedes Tuner for these very "hands on" instructions! I will defenitely try to do the repairs myself.

Also thank you for clarifying the "degree of harmfulness" of driving around with these noises. I feel a little more comfortable driving my car now.

Thanks again!