Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Command Screen Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, E350 Cabriolet
Command Screen Replacement Issues

I just replaced a fading LCD screen on my Command radio and 3 days later the screen went blank (white). Any idea what might cause this?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by bapdco
I just replaced a fading LCD screen on my Command radio and 3 days later the screen went blank (white). Any idea what might cause this?
hopefully it should be under warranty
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 PM

GL450, E350 Cabriolet
Vendor who sold the LCD screen said it must be a faulty radio and not his screen. No returns, no refunds. I just want to find out what caused it.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:50 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Vendor who sold the LCD screen said it must be a faulty radio and not his screen. No returns, no refunds. I just want to find out what caused it.
was it new or a used screen? The problem is you probably dont have a scope to look at the connector pins anyway also what was wrong with your original screen? Was it also white? If your original showed any characters on it before it was replaced reinstall it and see if it looks the same.also i have never replaced a screen, so please tell me how many pins are on the connector. Does it mate with the radio via a ribbon cable? If you paid for it on ebay and paypal you could have resolution. How many hours did you put on it before it went white?

Last edited by ot1; 10-14-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 PM

GL450, E350 Cabriolet
Original screen was tossed. When this "new" screen worked perfectly (for 3 days) I didn't see a need to keep the old one. The old screen had faint images but was never "white". It's actually quite simple to replace the LCD screen (although I had a local audio store do it for me). It connects with a few different ribbon cables. Took less than an hour. Does anyone know if there is a specific power amp or converter used on these screens? I decided to scrap it and install aftermarket but my source said he's not able to get all the necessary parts for my '11 GL450. Everything still functions on the radio,,,,,,,I just can't see the screen.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:33 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Original screen was tossed. When this "new" screen worked perfectly (for 3 days) I didn't see a need to keep the old one. The old screen had faint images but was never "white". It's actually quite simple to replace the LCD screen (although I had a local audio store do it for me). It connects with a few different ribbon cables. Took less than an hour. Does anyone know if there is a specific power amp or converter used on these screens? I decided to scrap it and install aftermarket but my source said he's not able to get all the necessary parts for my '11 GL450. Everything still functions on the radio,,,,,,,I just can't see the screen.
too bad you didnt hang onto the old screen longer at least a month, electronics can always have issues when first burning in.. did the audio shop wear grounded static wrist bands? Or did he wear nitrile gloves ? Does the merchant sell screens or was this one he happened to have around. So these screens are back li with fluorescent lighting, there will be a driver chip that is heat sinked, to power the back lighting, but i suspect its a data issue, pull the ribbon cables use an electronic wooden qtip dipped in 90% alcohol or electronics cleaner to clean the contacts, if the ribbon cables have connector clamps make sure they are seated , tobacco on fingers ruins connectors.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:46 AM

GL450, E350 Cabriolet
I didn't buy the screen from the installer and I don't know if they used anti-static bands or nitrile. I'll check with them this week and ask them to check the ribbon cables and clean them. Thanks for the thoughts,,,,
Old 10-15-2018, 01:00 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
I didn't buy the screen from the installer and I don't know if they used anti-static bands or nitrile. I'll check with them this week and ask them to check the ribbon cables and clean them. Thanks for the thoughts,,,,
yes i realize the installer wasnt the seller, my angle was attempting to recover from the seller via paypal. You didnt explain who the seller was does he have another s reen? New screens are warrantied by the manufacturer. You need to be able to watch the installer to make sure they are adept at handling exposed eletronics.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM

GL450, E350 Cabriolet
The seller was GermanAudioTech on Ebay. He has nearly 100% positive feedback. He won't accept the screen in return for a refund because I said it "might" have been the fault of the radio. Neither has been confirmed. He believed I used his screen to diagnose my radio,,,,,which was not true.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
The seller was GermanAudioTech on Ebay. He has nearly 100% positive feedback. He won't accept the screen in return for a refund because I said it "might" have been the fault of the radio. Neither has been confirmed. He believed I used his screen to diagnose my radio,,,,,which was not true.
you dont want a refund you want it replaced, big difference. The fluorescent back lighting ages, which was apparent on your original screen, your head unit didnt kill the new screen. There is the slim possibility that a ribbon cable came loose. Tell the german guy you want the screen repaired covered by warranty. Was it shipped in an electrostatic bag ? And sold as NEW?