Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Electrical Consumers Offline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
AAG
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Angry Help: Electrical Consumers Offline

Hi

I posted this also on the SL55 AMG forum...

I am getting an error Electrical Consumers Offline causing most functions to cease working (including roof operation) for about 15 minutes every time I start my SL55 AMG. I have only had the car for 2 weeks and this problem started this week. This is a 2002 car. Has anyone experienced this? Seems the second battery is not charging enough or perhaps it is analternator problem. Please let me know if you have seen this and what the soltuion turned out to be.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by AAG
Hi

I posted this also on the SL55 AMG forum...

I am getting an error Electrical Consumers Offline causing most functions to cease working (including roof operation) for about 15 minutes every time I start my SL55 AMG. I have only had the car for 2 weeks and this problem started this week. This is a 2002 car. Has anyone experienced this? Seems the second battery is not charging enough or perhaps it is analternator problem. Please let me know if you have seen this and what the soltuion turned out to be.

Thanks in advance
I've seen this before. I think the solution was to take it to the dealership and have them fix it. It happened on my friend's SL55.

-s-
Old 08-03-2004, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
According to WIS, when the battery control unit detects low voltage, it goes to STAGE 1 SHUTOFF. All basic electrical consumers are turned off to save power automatically. Your heated seats should also stop working. When the dealer hooks the star daig system to your car, it will show the mechanic what the exact problem is. Could be a low battery, bad battery control module or other device sucking too much power.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:54 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Also check if Comand is turning off...

First answer is, of course, to go back to the dealer and tell them to fix it without you having to worry about it. Get it logged in as a service visit so you can start the Lemon Law counter ticking.

Read once somebody had a problem where their Comand unit kept spinning the Nav disk after they turned off their engine. Screen was blank, but disk was still spinning. But I am not sure that burns enough watts to drain the battery in one night.

How much time passes between when you shut off the car and when you come back to find this condition?

Do you have a cell phone plugged in over night?

Any type of antitheft devices like LoJack? They have their own small battery, but they tap into your car's battery to get a charge.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Battery?

How far is/has the car been driven on a daily basis? A friend only lived 5 miles from his business and all his cars have/had battery going low problems. MB told him he did not drive it far enough to recharge sufficiently.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
AAG
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
Thanks

Thanks for the replies... I use the car twice a day... half an hour drive each time... perhaps that is not long enought but even if I restart the car after few minutes, there is no charge and the car takes another 15 minutes to charge... should not be the case? Kind of makes having a convertable pointless if you can not open the roof vertually everytime you drive! I am scheduled to take it in in a couple of days; will let you know what they say.

regards
Old 08-12-2004, 06:33 PM
AAG
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
A Happy ending

Turns out a cable that controls the lock on the glove compartment was leaking power causing a drain on the battery. A new cable and a new battery later and it seems the problem is solved.

Regards
Old 08-12-2004, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
!!

Wow, would never have suspected that. Leaking?