Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to service low-mileage CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to service low-mileage CLK

Hi-
Any MB tech guys (or CLK owners) have any advice on when to service a low-mileage 2004 CLK Cabriolet (209)? I took delivery last October, didn't use it during the winter (New Jersey), and have been using it pretty much every day since April- mostly highway driving about 26 miles roundtrip per day. So I have only 4600 miles on the car. I haven't had any problems with the car.

I will drive the car until November, and then will not use it during the winter. But it's unlikely that the service indicator will come on since the car will probably only have 6500 miles or so on it by November. I don't think it's wise to go 1 1/2 or 2 years on the original factory oil fill, so I'm wonderng what I should ask my dealer to do before I put the car away for the winter. And what about tire rotation?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
If you are going to be storing it for the winter, definitely have the oil changed out so it's fresh going in.

At least change the oil once a year, so like do it right before going into storage would be a good point. The service indicator should count down when a year is almost up if it hasn't been serviced...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The FSS in addition to mileage works on calender time. It will begin to count down days to the service due. I believe but am not certain that its a year and a half or so. However I would consider having the oil changed prior to storage to eliminate the possibility of any corrosion from the acids that accumulate during engine operation.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I have a friend with an 02 E430, it has 4700 miles. FSS indicator never came on, still says like 8000 miles till service... no countdown. Our C320 was not serviced for over a year from delivery as well... no time countdown.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by AlBoston
I have a friend with an 02 E430, it has 4700 miles. FSS indicator never came on, still says like 8000 miles till service... no countdown. Our C320 was not serviced for over a year from delivery as well... no time countdown.
must be broken
Old 08-18-2004, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
FSS countdown...

I believe it is two years.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
The time countdown is there, it just doesn't show until about 30 days till its due by time. You can't access the time remaining through any normal means either, unless its within that window that it displays "Service due in XX days"
Let it go long enough, and it will come up that way.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:38 PM

2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by caigy
Hi-
Any MB tech guys (or CLK owners) have any advice on when to service a low-mileage 2004 CLK Cabriolet (209)? I took delivery last October, didn't use it during the winter (New Jersey), and have been using it pretty much every day since April- mostly highway driving about 26 miles roundtrip per day. So I have only 4600 miles on the car. I haven't had any problems with the car.

I will drive the car until November, and then will not use it during the winter. ... wonderng what I should ask my dealer to do before I put the car away for the winter. And what about tire rotation?

Thanks,
Jason
I'm not exactly sure about the W209 schedule (the potential maximum FSS intervals are little bit shorter than the earlier years). Time will count down the service interval when the car isn't used.

Check battery electrolyte levels (plates will go bad if not completely submerged in acid) - if possible, don't lock car using the remote (use metal key) - the alarm will drain battery. If that isn't possible, a battery tender would be a good idea to avoid a dead battery.

Inflate the tires about 5 psi above recommended - check tire pressure at least monthly to maintain this / avoid flat spots on tires.

I would let the fuel level run low - the gas will lose its anti-knock properties (octane level) and when you're back to driving the car again, you can gas up with fresh fuel again.

Every two years is brake fluid flush

Every three years is coolant change
Old 08-19-2004, 02:55 PM

2000 E430 sport package
Originally Posted by Hal H
I'm not exactly sure about the W209 schedule (the potential maximum FSS intervals are little bit shorter than the earlier years). Time will count down the service interval when the car isn't used.

Check battery electrolyte levels (plates will go bad if not completely submerged in acid) - if possible, don't lock car using the remote (use metal key) - the alarm will drain battery. If that isn't possible, a battery tender would be a good idea to avoid a dead battery.

Inflate the tires about 5 psi above recommended - check tire pressure at least monthly to maintain this / avoid flat spots on tires.

I would let the fuel level run low - the gas will lose its anti-knock properties (octane level) and when you're back to driving the car again, you can gas up with fresh fuel again.

Every two years is brake fluid flush

Every three years is coolant change
Hal, I forgot all about the tires and gas. I don't drive mine for two to three months at a time and thats only on the weekends. Very helpful info. Thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59 PM

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I'm definitely going to at least have the oil changed before the winter. I will probably inquire about tire rotation, too.

Jason