Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get the hose clamps off the fuel lines (fuel level sensor replacement)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
How do you get the hose clamps off the fuel lines (fuel level sensor replacement)

These hose clamps are unlike anything I have ever seen when dealing with hose clamps. I know this sounds stupid, but I have no idea how to get the clamp to release off the hose so I can proceed with the install.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 09-17-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
You need 2 new clamps... Just stick a screwdriver in the small "loop" there where the clamp overlaps itself. It will pop up and loosen. Just bend the clamp off and throw the damn things away, they are useless again. Use regular hose clamps when you put her back together.

My email is broken... I am getting fed up with earthlink.... Time to switch maybe? I got your mail, but was unable to send a reply.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:36 PM

Ford Pinto
Thanks!

Thanks! I have to run and get some hose clamps right after I figure out what size these are. Where's that dial caliper...

Yeah, I just dropped earthlink two weeks ago. DSL finally made it to my neighborhood. I hated earthlink!

I have a backup dialup account with bellsouth.net, and it flies compared to earthlink. My advice would be to hook up with bellsouth for dial-up.

Thanks for the advice!

Eric
Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 PM

Ford Pinto
Exclamation

A big warning for everyone watching. I started the installs and got the hose clamps removed once staurnstyl informed me how. Thanks.

I unplugged both connections, then removed the big hose (closest to the front of the car). Up to this point, everything is going great. Then I proceeded to remove the smaller hose, closer to the rear of the car. Big MISTAKE! Gas starts flying EVERYWHERE!!! DOH! Words cannot express the feelings I had at the moment. I finally wrestled the hose back on the nipple but I think it had already unpressurized.

Lots of water, febreeze, electrical cleaner and q-tips later, I have a question.

Am I suppose to remove the big hose, then loosen the black ring? After that, loosen the small hose?

How do you get the system depressurized? Should I have opened the gas cap?

Hopefully the smell will come out of the car. I have the windows down and sprayed the **** out of everything with frebreeze after a complete wipedown and Meguirs cleaning. Gas got on the back passenger seat.

Eric
Old 09-18-2004, 09:24 PM

uhhhhhh, as I remember it, both hoses are the same size... anyway it doesn't matter, just remove both of them and take off the big plastic ring, the sender will pop right up out of there. If the tank is FULL you may get some fuel coming out, just a couple pints, no worries. Anything less than full and none should come out at all. There are several ways to depressurize, my favorite is unplug the fuel pump and start the car. It will depressurize itself....
Febreze oughtta knock that odor out fairly quickly. Drive a bit with the windows down and it will deplete the odor in short order. Sounds like that hose went kinda berserk on ya!
Let me know if ya need anything else... Keep in mind your dealing with someone who does this stuff so much I kinda forget the little details, its just second nature to me so I don't remember to mention them.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 AM

Ford Pinto
Thanks for the reply. I will unplug the pump and let the car run. I should have known better to be honest. This is not my first time working with the fuel system. However, I figured after the first hose came off with no problems I had depressurized the system. Whhooooooooppppppssssssss!

I am going to get the install up to the point I am at now while I am waiting for the appropiate tool to come in. My tool will work, but at this point, I have decided to go first class. It makes my wife feel better too. She was cool about the gas incident and a lot of febreeze knocked that smell right out thank goodness.

We are going to check on the lens for the fog light this week too.

I have a big list of stuff get done.

Eric
Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 AM

Ford Pinto
One last thing.

How do you repressurize the line? When I started the car after getting the mess cleaned up, it turned over quite a bit before cranking.

I guess there is not really an easy way around that? Just thought I would ask.

Eric
Old 09-20-2004, 06:05 PM

You could just cycle the key a few times without cranking the engine. I just crank the thing till it starts though...
When you turn the ignition on without cranking, the computer sends voltage to the pump for a few seconds to prime the system.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:19 PM

Ford Pinto
I pulled the rear seat again and got the part numbers off of the top of the sensor compartments. The part numbers pulled off the tops of the compartments are as follows:

Passenger Side (Right Side): 2034701394
Driver Side (Left Side): 2034700241

I am guessing they are old, very old part numbers since we actually purchased the car in 2001. I will post an update as soon as I here something from the dealer.

The hoses are slightly different in size. At least when comparing the O.D. The one closer to the rear of the car is slightly smaller in O.D. I will put a dial caliper on them when I go back in for the final time (I hope!). I forgot about checking them tonight or I would have. No biggie, but I can't understand why they are different in size.

Eric