Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

K & N, Green, AFE Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 CLK430 & '08 Lexus RX 350
Arrow K & N, Green, AFE Filters

Anyone have opinions to share re: K&N vs. Green vs. AFE Air Filters?
Is there another manuf. I am missing out on?
Anyone have good / bad experiences with these? K & N seems to be the product most written about on this site.....curious about the others...
- Airflow comparisons
- Any intake note diff.
- increase / decrease in HP and or MPG
Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by MMM430; 05-04-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
k&n can mess up the MAF sensor if you mess up re-oiling it... people recommened just buy a new filter, it beats having to pay for a new MAF because warranty will NOT cover it because its after market filter...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:02 PM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
I think the K&Ns get a bad rap for this due to the volume of sales. Any reusable air filter needs to be oiled, so the risk is the same for any of them.
I've used K&Ns on every motorized vehicle I've ever owned (except the lawnmower) and have never had a single problem. In a stock airbox the OEM replacement is usually only slightly louder and only on WOT (at least in the few OEM setups I've used - C43, E430, 190E, Corvette ZR-1, Expedition, Celica GTS, Jet Skis, etc). The CAI on my Expedition is another story. That sucker is loud and it sounds like a huge air leak when the motor isn't loud enough to drown out the sucking/hissing sound. The performance, however, is worth it. I measure that in terms of MPG which increased over 1Mpg after a few tanks. This was NOT due to a newly cleaned filter as some will claim - I'm a car guy and keep them clean under the hood.
Anyway, I can vouch for the K&N products. They may not be huge HP increase, but they pay for themselves in terms of longevity and my mileage on the Expy has paid for all of them
Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I've been using the same pair of Green Filters for the past 9 months and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I'm not sure about mpg, but I think it helped the horsepower and response slightly.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
So if I get Green Filters, how often do I have to oil them?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 PM

'00 CLK430 & '08 Lexus RX 350
Thanks for the thoughts guys

Last edited by MMM430; 05-11-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:15 AM

I don't know what the big deal is about "over oiling" the K&N filters. I've been using them for years in all kinds od cars and never had an issue.......including my 04' Z06 Vette. The Vette will throw codes at the drop of a hat!

For those of you that don't "get it"........the oil is supposed to HELP the gauze trap the very fine particals from making it to the MAF Sensor and through the intake. The filter should NEVER, NEVER be dripping wet with oil. The K&N filter charger oil(as it's called) is a very light machine oil. After cleaning the K&N filter, the gauze becomes a white color.....as you can see through the metal screening. You should let the filter COMPLETELY dry before reoiling.

When reoiling the filter, simply hold the filter about 8" to 10" from the filter. Keep the spray can moving(or the filter) as you spray. The same kind of motion you would use when spray painting..........if you are holding the spray can to close or to still, you get runs. Same idea here! Also, spray along the pleats.......not accross or against them! ONLY SPRAY THE OUTSIDE OF THE FILTER, NOT THE ENGINE SIDE! In addition, only spray enough oil to make the gauze look pink. NOT RED AND DRIPPING! Sop up any drips or excess with a rag or paper towel before installing.

Hope that I didn't offend anyone with my exccessively simplified instructions..........I'm just trying to help! I've had success following my own instructions for years!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SJRAMROD
I don't know what the big deal is about "over oiling" the K&N filters.
I would have to assume that the configuration of the intake system has a lot to do with it (as well as over-oiling).
Old 05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by slktyperice
So if I get Green Filters, how often do I have to oil them?
i would replace them every 50,000 miles so i dont have to worry about oiling them to little or to much
Old 05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
K&N now switching to GREEN

I've had the K&N filters in my CLK430 for about 20,000 miles and no problems. I initally noticed an increase in throttle response and mileage. For the past 5,000 miles, they seemed to have tailed off.

I just bought a pair (the CLK430 takes two filters!) of GREEN filters, and will install them this weekend. I'll post my initial response after.

The main difference between the K&N and GREEN Filters (besides the color) is the type/grade of cotton they use.

K&N - uses a cotton gauze filter (4 layers of it), very similar in feel to the cotton gauze that one uses for first aid.

GREEN - uses a shirt-quality cotton, that is woven tightly like a dress shirt.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
who makes the green filters? and where can I buy a pair for my 01' clk55?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
so...anyone mind telling me exactly where these air filters go for the C240 W203?? i'm planning on buying GREEN really soon once i find out where they go. i rather do it myself than take it somewhere because i dont think they're that hard to replace once i know where it's located. thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Almost a Member!

I think the K&N filter charger oil smells good. The engine likes the smell. Very manly with soft citrus undertones. Also you should use scented air in the tires or air collected from Napa or Marin if you really want performance...
Pardon me...Do you have any grey poupon?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by SJRAMROD
I don't know what the big deal is about "over oiling" the K&N filters. I've been using them for years in all kinds od cars and never had an issue.......including my 04' Z06 Vette. The Vette will throw codes at the drop of a hat!

For those of you that don't "get it"........the oil is supposed to HELP the gauze trap the very fine particals from making it to the MAF Sensor and through the intake. The filter should NEVER, NEVER be dripping wet with oil. The K&N filter charger oil(as it's called) is a very light machine oil. After cleaning the K&N filter, the gauze becomes a white color.....as you can see through the metal screening. You should let the filter COMPLETELY dry before reoiling.

When reoiling the filter, simply hold the filter about 8" to 10" from the filter. Keep the spray can moving(or the filter) as you spray. The same kind of motion you would use when spray painting..........if you are holding the spray can to close or to still, you get runs. Same idea here! Also, spray along the pleats.......not accross or against them! ONLY SPRAY THE OUTSIDE OF THE FILTER, NOT THE ENGINE SIDE! In addition, only spray enough oil to make the gauze look pink. NOT RED AND DRIPPING! Sop up any drips or excess with a rag or paper towel before installing.

Hope that I didn't offend anyone with my exccessively simplified instructions..........I'm just trying to help! I've had success following my own instructions for years!
Just a small add...when I replace the K&N filter on my other car (haven't purchased one for my C230 yet) after I re-oil the filter...I let it sit on a counter-top or near a slightly opened window over night to help the oil settle into the filter...just a safety precaution for me.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Originally Posted by EmergencyDpt
I think the K&N filter charger oil smells good. The engine likes the smell. Very manly with soft citrus undertones. Also you should use scented air in the tires or air collected from Napa or Marin if you really want performance...
Pardon me...Do you have any grey poupon?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
I use K&N filter and not only I get HP but I get more revs. Never had any problems
Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jrv8mbp
I use K&N filter and not only I get HP but I get more revs. Never had any problems
how does a filter give more revs?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by reggid
how does a filter give more revs?
Well it does, more HP and then you get about 200-300 revs more, I am not saying you can gain 500 - 1000rpm no no no. Ok let me explain. When I mean by revs I am talking about when you floor the gas petal usually you will do this from stop lights or for just passing other vehicles on road when you need it for better acceleration. A standard filter I had on my car peaks around 5600rpm, but with the KN, I see it peak about 5900 or so. So that's where I meant by more revs. I did get better performance with this filter..

Last edited by JRAMGV8; 03-22-2007 at 08:55 PM.