Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Safe shot of N2O?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Safe shot of N2O?

What is the strongest wet shot you can get for a CLK500 5.0 V8? I have read through a lot of mustang and GTO forums and it seems like a lot of the guys are running 125 shots no problem. I've also heard about a guy with a S500 that had a 100 shot. A 75 shot seems like it is a safe amount, but I want to know if I can bring it up to 100 or maybe 125 safely without any problems.

I also heard that Nitrous and an aftermarket ECU upgrade could cause problems. The tuner I'm going to said it should be fine, but I'm worried because I've read on forums that it can cause detonation and thats the last thing I want. Would running higher octane (98-100) be safer?

It seems like theres almost nobody on these forums with nitrous, especially on the non-AMG engines. So I need all the help, advice, and warning I can get on N2O.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
First of all I'll tell you that although I have no experience with N2O in Mercedeses, I have been running it on my Vette for 15 years without a problem.

The key to safety is that it is a wet shot. As long as you meter the correct amt of gas with the N2O you should be ok. NOS knows exactly which jets to use with what pressure N2O. I used their tech guys for info regarding set up.

I have a fail safe pressure switch on my NOS that shuts off the flow of N2O if the fuel pressure drops below a prescribed amt. That ensures that a lean condition doesn't occur if a hiccup in the fuel line or your fuel pump dies.

I also put a MSD spark adjuster that reduces the advance in one degree encrements when NOS is on. If any detonation occurs then you must drop the advance. I started at minus 5 degrees then added advance until detonation occurred then took a degree out to stay on the safe side.

A purge valve is a must also. This prevents your manifold from exploding due to a backfire.

I think most problems occur with a dry system that rely on the stock injectors to deliver adequate gas which sometimes don't. Lean conditions cook your valves and you get to replace your motor.

NOS is a good company and should be able to help you set up a safe system for your car. If they don't support you, try one of the other vendors of N20 systems.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Thanks man. I've had the NOS wet system installed for a couple of days now and have had no problems. It runs very smooth, however, I feel like a 75 shot isn't enough. I will probably upgrade to a 100 shot but am still tempted to go 125. And I will definitely look into these option you listed. Thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
How does the 75 shot feel compared to before the upgrade?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Thanks man. I've had the NOS wet system installed for a couple of days now and have had no problems. It runs very smooth, however, I feel like a 75 shot isn't enough. I will probably upgrade to a 100 shot but am still tempted to go 125. And I will definitely look into these option you listed. Thanks
I didnt see you at AMGfest. I really wanted to take a look at your setup and maybe go for a ride. Maybe a side by side run? Anyways I talked to a tech at the event and he said not to run nitrous on my car. But he was pretty much anti-modding benzes to begin with.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Hey, yeah, the weather was pretty bad and I got out of work at 2, it would have taken me too long to get there and the weather just made the whole day seem depressing. Are there any other MB events coming to the east coast because I would love to go to one.

And everybody is against nitrous, I dunno why, lol. I'm really trying to find a tech/service advisor that is mod friendly because I'm really afraid to go near any MB dealer.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
And the 75 shot just feels like an extra burst of torque. Its almost like when I floor it, if I wait 3 seconds and hit the NOS it feels like I just floored it again.

At first, I didn't know if there would be that much more of an advantage when it came to speed or the 1/4 mile so I tested it out with my friend. He has a Cobalt SS and we raced from like 30-100 with and without Nitrous. Without the nitrous, I was able to pull on him and beat him. With the nitrous I totally spanked him like he had a stock civic or something.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Thers a evnt coming at Roozvelt Park here is the link. https://mbworld.org/forums/events-gatherings/161076-north-east-meet-drive-end-summer.html
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Hey, yeah, the weather was pretty bad and I got out of work at 2, it would have taken me too long to get there and the weather just made the whole day seem depressing. Are there any other MB events coming to the east coast because I would love to go to one.

And everybody is against nitrous, I dunno why, lol. I'm really trying to find a tech/service advisor that is mod friendly because I'm really afraid to go near any MB dealer.