Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Question about none-OEM air filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Question about none-OEM air filter

Hi there,

I got my question about the air filters. On one hand I constantly hear and read about better performance, cleaner burning process and better gas mileage. But on the other hand I also hear at least as many times as I hear good things that non OEM filter could damage my sensor or even my engine at all.

The question is what is right and what is wrong with those to statements?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
the air filter isn't what screws up sensors and such- it's the idiots that over-oil them/clean them incorrectly that screw up sensors. i've had a k&n in my focus for 150k miles and all has been well. i've had one in my benz for 6 months or so and no problems there either.

although i think k&n's and other aftermarket filters perform better, i don't think they are as good as the vendors claim.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned

So if I would get the K & N filter and go to a shop that puts it in by a mechanic they should know how much oil those filters need right?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Oil is already on them. Just take them out of package and put them in. The problem is when people clean them after a few thou and end up spraying them til they drip. Just a light sweep with the spray is all it needs.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Hi there,

I got my question about the air filters. On one hand I constantly hear and read about better performance, cleaner burning process and better gas mileage. But on the other hand I also hear at least as many times as I hear good things that non OEM filter could damage my sensor or even my engine at all.

The question is what is right and what is wrong with those to statements?

Thanks guys.
EVERYTHING you've heard about aftermarket airfilters is meaningless hype.

Mercedes will run all day at their top speed on the Autobahn and Germans don't build strangled engines. The notion is ludicrous.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

So don't even bother with a none-OEM filter?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
depends on how much you can find a k&n for. i found mine on amazon.com for really cheap- so i bought them.

i know there are others, but i can't think of their names off of the top of my head- but C32used (or something like that) did his own tests at the strip with stock, k&n, and green filters- the two aftermarkets ran consistantly quicker. i believe they work- however, i don't think they work as well as they are advertised.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I use K&N's in all my cars, as well recommend them in the cars that we tune.

They are great and the increased air flow is really noticeable in our applications. As previously stated, only when they are overoiled or installed improperly are there any problems.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM

04 CLK500
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
the air filter isn't what screws up sensors and such- it's the idiots that over-oil them/clean them incorrectly that screw up sensors. i've had a k&n in my focus for 150k miles and all has been well. i've had one in my benz for 6 months or so and no problems there either.

although i think k&n's and other aftermarket filters perform better, i don't think they are as good as the vendors claim.
Agreed, just change out new K&N after 50K and not worry about oiling them properly.