New R Class Photos from MB at NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
New R Class Photos from MB at NY Auto Show

Here are some new images from the MB R Class site shot in NY at the auto show.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-14-2005 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 04-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
Those show some nice detail I couldn't get.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
Those show some nice detail I couldn't get.
Yes...they are nice clear shots. But you didn't have a empty hall and access to the cars like they do...:-)
Old 04-14-2005, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Will the production model come with TV in the headrest?
if so, DVD and/or TV tuner?

If they trying so hard to seat as many people as possible, why they want to put a bench in the middle of the rear seat? Is it removable?

When will this hit the showroom? Fall or sooner?

Thanks,
hlkc

Last edited by hlkc; 04-14-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hlkc
Will the production model come with TV in the headrest?
if so, DVD and/or TV tuner?

If they trying so hard to seat as many people as possible, why they want to put a bench in the middle of the rear seat? Is it removable?

When will this hit the showroom? Fall or sooner?

Thanks,
hlkc
The TV in the headrests will be an option. It will run from a CD/DVD player which will be in the rear center console and controlled by the rear seat passengers.

There are only two seats in the 2nd row and the console between them is an option. It is removable so the seats can be folded to a full flat floor. There are 2 seats in the 3rd row.

They say in showroom this Fall...which could mean September to November. I have a hunch it will be early Fall (I could be looking on the bright side since I have a pre order deposit...:-)

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-14-2005 at 11:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-14-2005, 11:59 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Nevada Jack,

Thanks for your quick respond. No offense, I am MB fan for years and own many so far. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great idea's car but I think they price it too high and make it not compatible with the similar category. Yes, it has few unique features such as glass roof and sits 6. But I think R class should be starting close or less than ML since it is the same group of buyers that looking/comparing for ML/X5/Cayenne. I will consider getting one if a fully loaded 350 for about $45K but not $58K and for fully loaded 500 for $55K not $70K... https://mbworld.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=102367

If you feel I miss something here I really appreciated that you can share it with me.

Take care,
hlkc

Last edited by hlkc; 04-15-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nevada Jack,

Thanks for your quick respond. No offense, I am MB fan for years and own many so far. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great idea's car but I think they price it too high and make it not compatible with the similar category. Yes, it has few unique features such as glass roof and sits 6. But I think R class should be starting close or less than ML since it is the same group of buyers that looking/comparing for ML/X5/Cayenne. I will consider getting one if a fully loaded 350 for about $45K but not $58K and for fully loaded 500 for $55K not $70K... https://mbworld.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=102367

If you feel I miss something here I really appreciated that you can share it with me.

Take care,
hlkc
That's a really tough question. A fully loaded ML350 would probably come out around $53-55,000 and a ML500 would probably come out to about $63-65,000. A fully loaded R350 is going to come close to $63-65,000 and a R500 close to $70,000. The list of options on the R Class is very long. Starting at just under $50,000 puts it just under the E Class wagon range, and a loaded E350 Wagon will run about $65,000. The CLS which is mostly a E Class with a unique body style starts at $65,000. So really I don't think the R Class is overpriced compared to the other models. My estimates of the loaded R Class may be a tad high but this is so I will feel the pain less when I see the printed price sheet.

I guess what I am trying to say is the R Class is closer to an E Class than it is to a ML Class. It is designed as a "luxury" car and as such will (and better had) be that when delivered. It is longer than a S Class, has 4 wheel drive standard, self leveling rear air suspension, a unique seating arrangement, a special panoramic roof, a new A/C system with an optional compressor for the rear passengers, etc. So my feeling is that if you go easy on the options with the R350, you could get into it nicely equipped for maybe $53,000 or so.

A lot of rambling there but I just can't compare the ML, X5 and Cayene pricing with the R Class. They are not the same kind of vehicle. Compare them with the E Class wagon and sedan features and they come close with the R Class having more variety of features than the standard E Class. Hope that helps you...probably not...:-)
Old 04-15-2005, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who would buy the R Class

One point I overlooked in your response...who is looking at the R Class? It is not only ML/X5/Cayenne buyers. I never liked or wanted a SUV because of the style. But now I have an option of having the features of the SUV (and a minivan) but also the features of a luxury sedan/wagon. This is a key market segment who will look at the R Class.

In addition, the 2nd or 3rd generation SUV buyer will be looking for something different once these cars start to populate the highways. BMW and Porsche and Janguar will all follow the leader and build these and the prices will be competitive with the current pricing of the R Class, not the SUV's.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:50 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Nevada Jack,

Thank you once again for your insight. I guess I did not clearly describe my thought - sorry!

I feel that MB is a luxury and symbol vehicle (I'm sure you know what I mean) therefore such R class with seat 6 people, cup holders every where and those practical features like minivan/wagon got. I immediately jumped to the point that compared value to value with other manufactures’ wagon, SUV and sedan but not our own MBs. I guess that was my problem. After I understand your MB type of comparison then I totally appreciated where MB coming from. But I still insist that it will be little difficult for them to sell this vehicle to 1st time non-MB buyers especially those family people want a sub $40K min-van/wagon/SUV type of buyers. Maybe I was wrong all the way that MB is not looking for those market share and they want to define such market using this vehicle.

Why I spent $80K CLS and I can have $30K Accord and sit 5 right? :p

Thanks,
hlkc

Last edited by hlkc; 04-15-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nevada Jack,

Thank you once again for your insight. I guess I did not clearly describe my thought - sorry!

. But I still insist that it will be little difficult for them to sell this vehicle to 1st time non-MB buyers especially those family people want a sub $40K min-van/wagon/SUV type of buyers. Maybe I was wrong all the way that MB is not looking for those market share and they want to define such market using this vehicle.

Why I spent $80K CLS and I can have $30K Accord and sit 5 right? :p

Thanks,
hlkc
I don't think MB or any high line maker will sell a luxury vehicle to 1st time buyers looking for under $40,000 as a starting point. There is the C class wagon, there will be the B Class crossover and other lower priced models to get them into the line. But if the R Class proves itself as a performer in this new niche market, look for many MB and BMW and Porsche SUV drivers make the switch.