R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

SURVEY: Does your R tailgate 'slam' shut?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Question SURVEY: Does your R tailgate 'slam' shut?

Did the search using several terms, and didn't find what I'm looking for.

2007 R320CDI 4Matic, 88k miles.
We've had issues with the tailgate as some of you have had. Irritatingly, it won't latch properly, leaving the "tailgate open" dash indicator.
Then we noticed so many other makes and model's power tailgates are gentle and quiet.

Ours has always moved closed at what seems a normal, controlled speed, but at the end it shuts with a BANG. Then it may, or may not, latch. Done this the 3 years we've had it. Already had it adjusted and replaced the lock motor/mechanism recently. Indy just stuck a new rear SAM in to see if that cured it (no charge, and he'll put our old one back in if it doesn't work, which it doesn't seem to).

Here's the question: does your tailgate slam rather hard when closing, or is it a soft close?

Thanks for your input. Maybe we can figure something out here.
Jerry
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
My answer is sometimes!

Let me explain.
Sometimes my trunk will slam close and sometimes it does the soft close. It seems that when the weather is colder it'll soft close and when it's warmer it will slam shut.

My dealer determined the shocks were leaking the gas so I had both struts replaced under warranty. Even though those were replaced, my trunk still has the same issue and the dealer can't really seem to figure out what's wrong.

No issues with whether or not mine locks though (it always does except one time, but I just opened and closed the trunk and it was OK).
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 + SLK55 AMG
Mine seems to operate as intended. It opens or closes nice and slow and then there's some mechanical whirring and clicking as the latch mechanism grabs the hatch and pulls it tight. Mine doesn't come anywhere close to slamming. It's moving way too slow.

I never gave it much thought as it seems to behave exactly like the hatch on the car we had prior to the R500, a Chrysler Pacifica. Same motion, same latch noise at the bottom. Well, if there is any difference, the Mercedes latch makes a lot more noise while going about its business of actually grabbing the hatch and locking it. But it seems normal so I never gave it much thought.

I should mention though that my car was bought used as a CPO and I have the full service history records. The dealership did work on apparently the latch mechanism. Not as part of the CPO process but pretty early on in the car's life while it was still under factory warranty. There doesn't appear to be any mention of work being done to the struts or motor.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM

R350
2012 R350, mine closes slowly and makes the whirring noises to latch shut
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
Again it sometimes closes hard with a bang (but ALWAYS closes) and other times just catches the latch and it pulls it in. I think there is dark magic to getting the system to work perfectly. I tend to just close mine manually in the winter (pulling it down by hand until the latch engages, no bangs and probably safer when its -30). Make sure your spare tire cargo cover area is properly closed and flat and not stopping the tailgate from latching. I don't know if mine was repaired previously, it may have been as it was frequently dealer serviced before I got it (they have a thick file but were not willing to share).
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned

/
Thanks for your experiences. Tomorrow morning will be cold (for us), in the low to mid 40s f, so I'll give it a couple of cycles. Makes sense that cold lubes and oils might slow it down. I know I'll be slow tomorrow.

Anyone else get that banging sensation?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
While I've never been mesmerized by "German Engineering" and I don't expect Mercedes to be perfect, it does surprise me that lots of auto manufacturers have incorporated an automatic rear hatch into Minivans, SUV's, and Crossovers and none of them appear to have this much trouble with execution. While everyone no doubt has their own proprietary design, you'd think there would be enough ways to skin a cat that they could all make something work or simply license the design from a competitor.

We actually had two 06 Pacifica's simultaneously with the auto rear hatch. We put about 36,000 miles on one (3 years) and 63,000 miles on the other (6.5 years). Neither ever had any problems with the hatch. Or anything else for that matter. I think the only warranty claim we had on either one was a dead battery upon delivery of the second one.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 02-01-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

/
Certainly a modicum of embarrassment on things like that when your friend has a car that he paid 1/3 of what this thing cost, and his hatch clicks gentle and positive.
But he can't drive 1,000 miles in his car and still feel relaxed at the end.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

R500
Slam shut?

It was already shut when it was slammed shut

After reading this thread. Yes, mine did slam shut occasionally. All the doors on this model are fairly heavy.
Attached Thumbnails SURVEY: Does your R tailgate 'slam' shut?-photo-jan-23-7-34-17-ama.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by Cucucachu
It was already shut when it was slammed shut

After reading this thread. Yes, mine did slam shut occasionally. All the doors on this model are fairly heavy.
Oh CRAP! I hope no one was hurt. I admit I did chuckle when I realized what your first line of the post meant. Good luck. Was it texting, phone, drunk, or just plain stupid? As a motorcyclist, this is one of the nightmares.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R500 AMG? Man take it off!!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by Iceblade
2012 R350, mine closes slowly and makes the whirring noises to latch shut

Same here.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Don't understand why people do that.

The enjoyable part of an AMG is not the badge. And sticking on a fake badge will do absolutely nothing for enjoyment of the car.

It's like buying a plastic "Turbo" badge at Pep Boys and throwing it on a Corolla. Or fake air vents. Just horribly embarrassing!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned

/
Looks like a temporary tag, so maybe he bought it with that already attached? Then got smacked. Or, maybe someone didn't like the AMG badge and tried to knock it off. I guess I won't be putting one on my 320CDI. I'd have to peel off the 4Matic thing anyway, and it'd prolly leave a mark.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spoke with the owner, he bought the car with it on...

Maybe one overzealous driver didn't like it either and tried to "help" him with that.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM

R500
As mentioned above, note the paper tag, it was on the vehicle when I bought it.

I didn't get a chance to get help from xxGenericSNxx to confirm it was properly installed according to these dimensions in both cm and inches:

A: From the edge of the trunk to the left edge of "R" running along the bottom of the window (note this is a curved line, so accuracy is extremely important)

B: From the bottom of the window (90 degrees) to the bottom corner of "R"

C: From the bottom of the window (90 degrees) to the bottom corner of "3" (or 2, 5, or 6 depending on model)

D: From the bottom of the window (90 degrees) to the bottom corner of "2" (or 3, 5, or 0 depending on model)

E: The curved distance between the left edge of "R" and the left edge of "3" along the bottom edge of the window (note this is different than G)

F: The curved distance between the left edge of "3" and the left edge of "2" along the bottom edge of the window (note this is different than H)

G: The distance between the left edge of R and the left edge of 3 from the bottom

H: The distance between the left edge of 3 and the left edge of 2 from the bottom

I: The distance from the bottom left corner of R running down to the bottom edge of the tailgate as a continuation of segment B.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

/
And a belated welcome to the forum!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM

R500
Thank you Jerry,

Where in SWFL are you located? I'm in Lauderdale.

I recently bought an R500 and within weeks was in a 4 accident on my way to work. The driver 2 cars behind me was charged. I came here looking for advice on a few upgrades I'd like to make after my vehicle is returned from the MB Collision Center.

I reached out through Private Message to Nathan (xxGenericSNxx), about a set of wheels he is selling and was greeted with:
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx

Maybe one overzealous driver didn't like it either and tried to "help" him with that.
I don't know if he is just rude, a bad salesman, or a "know-it-all" seeking attention by posting his opinion in every thread in this forum.

I certainly hope the rest of the people in this forum are a little more mature like you, Jerry.

Again, thank you for the belated welcome.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey sorry bud. I didn't mean to come off as rude!

And I did provide you with all the information that you asked and then some regarding options, mods, etc. I was just poking a little fun. Sorry that I offended you!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

/
Hey Cucucachu, you're welcome! Naples here, retirement land for the old and feeble. Not that I'm one of them, you understand. No sir. Even if you call me 'mature', I'm not going for the "Early Bird Special" at Denny's or Perkins. (line's too long)

Sorry about your rear-ender. I'd have to go back 2 cars and punch someone.

Generic was testing you to see if your skin was thick enough to withstand the abuse you might receive here... butt hay, it's all in fun. That's the problem with the written word...it can be interpreted many ways by the reader. Stick around, read and contribute what/if you can. You'll see it's all good. On MBWorld I've found nothing but good info and good, interesting folks in this forum and the W209 forum (well, actually, those guys are nutz, and cause me to spend money).

Have pity on Generic... here we are in warm, sunny Flahrda, and he's ... well, someplace else.

I do see on all the forums that anytime a photo shows up with an AMG badge that shouldn't be, people swarm out of the woods to beat on it. Kinda funny, actually!

I looked at Generic's wheel ad for his 19s, and if I didn't have a new set of the same tires on my stock 17s, I would go for 'em. Of course, shipping across the entire dam country might be costly. Nice deal, though.

Enjoy your R. We love ours (except for the dam tailgate thing)
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Mercedes r class
Smile R Class W251 Soft Close tailgate

Hi, I have just acquired a 2006 R320 CDI with the electric tailgate, and annoyingly it has exactly the same problem as yours, sometimes it closes and the soft close feature works, then others it slams without the soft close feature kicking in. Unfortunately not spent a lot of time to discover why other than to ask my local garage who failed to cure, but then knowing them that does not surprise me !

If you have discovered a cure let me know, otherwise I will be trying to solve as it should be something simple !!!

Otherwise the car is great, particularly with the rear entertainment and panoramic roof options.

Cheers, Martin H from Shrewsbury, UK
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

/
Hi Martin,
The slamming is one thing, but the re-opening was maddening. My trusty independent shop put in a new rear SAM to try, and it still did it. So he took it out, all at no charge. Odd, since then the tailgate has operated fine. Still closes harder than I think it should, but I have nothing on which to gauge that.
"Whump", whirrrr, click. So, we're happy. Now, maybe just moving wires around did it, as in 'loose connection'? I doubt that. But we're keeping our fingers crossed.
Good luck with your R. We just had ours in our local MBCA Section car (just for fun) show, and it was amazing how many people came over to look at it, and all said they wondered why there weren't more on the road.
Cheers back atcha,
Jerry
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Mercedes r class
Soft close or not tail....

Thanks Jerry, I will continue to try to solve and may take up your solution to take to pieces and rebuild. My wife had the best cure though, don't press the red button and close it manually, simple when you know how !
Cheers again..... Martin
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

/
Martin, guess we might also try manual closing. Hate to resort to that on this hi-dollar car... embarrassing if witnessed by 'some other' brand. I still wonder if maybe the hydraulic cylinders are allowing it to slam too hard, and confusing the lock sometimes. Ah, well, it exercises the brain and keeps me young. Anyway, don't all cars have foibles?
Jerry
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
I have noticed when my mine slams the latch inside the tailgate is already retracted, meaning it did not "pull itself" closed once latched and hence slammed shut. Why it happens like that no idea, it happens maybe once a week (used lots!). Never have the problem when closing manually and letting it latch gently. Very wierd but not worried about it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SURVEY: Does your R tailgate 'slam' shut?