R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2006 R350 - ECU Repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
2006 R350 - ECU Repair?

Hey there, I bought a new to me 2006 R350 here in Canada, with 120K on it.

In the past 3 weeks I had to replace the water pump - $1000
Then the car would crank and not start - new fuel pump -$1000
Car worked for a few days then wouldn't start - replaced the CPS - FREE
When driving the car back from my independent I noticed that if we went over 40 KPH the engine would stall and I would lose power steering, car would start back up though.
Decided to take the care to a dealer where I have been told that I have a faulty ECU. Took them 4 hours to diagnose this.

Questions are:
1) Should it take 4 hours to diagnose a faulty ECU? I have not yet found out what codes or scientific testing they did. What should I ask?

2) They have priced a new ECU at $2500. Can I go the route to have mine repaired? Does this really work? I have been quoted a price of $500.

3) If the ECU fixes the crank no start issue, would it also be (possibly) the culprit for the car dying while driving over 40 KPH? I do not want to spend more money to keep chasing issues. I was concerned it may be the dreaded balance shaft issue but since dealer cannot start car, they cannot/will not advise.

Thank you all so much for your help, I really like the camaraderie of forums like these. Sorry for all the questions, but I am hemorrhaging money on this car.

Last edited by Foondar; 03-02-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
First of all, the balance shaft issue triggers specific codes... discussed in many threads...

When you say "looses power" at 40 do you mean the entire car shuts down or does the engine stall??
Old 03-02-2016, 01:57 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by josworth
First of all, the balance shaft issue triggers specific codes... discussed in many threads...

When you say "looses power" at 40 do you mean the entire car shuts down or does the engine stall??
engine stalls, lose power steering etc.
Was starting right back up, but now won't start anymore.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Here is my thread with all the issues of my 06 R500 issues. I don't remember that I have yours, however....

https://mbworld.org/forums/extended-...lass-w251.html
Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 AM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by Foondar
engine stalls, lose power steering etc.
Was starting right back up, but now won't start anymore.
Sounds electronic in nature. But without checking myself I don't know.

This is not a symptom of the timing sprocket issue though.

As for a "rebuilt" ECU... I have zero experience with those so I would have to defer that question to others.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:54 AM

2006 R350
Thank you all very much. I am looking to get your sage advise on those issues that I listed and answers to the specific questions.

If you do not have experience with any of these noted questions.....I do not want to turn this into a "look what happened to me" unless it is directly related. I also do not need any further hindsight revelations, as that is always 20/20.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Foondar
Thank you all very much. I am looking to get your sage advise on those issues that I listed and answers to the specific questions.

If you do not have experience with any of these noted questions.....I do not want to turn this into a "look what happened to me" unless it is directly related. I also do not need any further hindsight revelations, as that is always 20/20.
Instead of bashing my post, if you read mine, you may read something about "crane sensor".
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by supernsx
Instead of bashing my post, if you read mine, you may read something about "crane sensor".
Enlighten us, please... BTW... here is what you typed in post #33 of that thread...

"Ok... I dig up this old thread because my R just came back from the dealer.

Bad crane sensor, one automatic side mirror, loose steerling column and bad accelerate padel.

Total repair cost: $1450

Still three more years to go on my extended warranty that has paid over $6000 of MB repair work already. I told my wife that if I don't have extended warranty today, I am going to sell the car. I am sure the other three air struts will die on me in the next three years and it will set the extended warranty back for another $9K......"

Please let us know how to diagnose and repair a "crane sensor"

This is why I too have been pretty snarky in my comments... and I don't even have the R anymore.

Your thread is basically a gripe fest on how many repairs you had to have done. Not helpful at all to the folks that are here needing or wanting help.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by josworth
Enlighten us, please... BTW... here is what you typed in post #33 of that thread...

"Ok... I dig up this old thread because my R just came back from the dealer.

Bad crane sensor, one automatic side mirror, loose steerling column and bad accelerate padel.

Total repair cost: $1450

Still three more years to go on my extended warranty that has paid over $6000 of MB repair work already. I told my wife that if I don't have extended warranty today, I am going to sell the car. I am sure the other three air struts will die on me in the next three years and it will set the extended warranty back for another $9K......"

Please let us know how to diagnose and repair a "crane sensor"

This is why I too have been pretty snarky in my comments... and I don't even have the R anymore.

Your thread is basically a gripe fest on how many repairs you had to have done. Not helpful at all to the folks that are here needing or wanting help.
I just looked you up and you have been snarky in most of your comments here, and not just mine.

Since I have moved on from this car since 2014, I don't have a horse in the race. If people can get any value from my warranty thread or other threads that I created in the past, it is all good.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by supernsx
I just looked you up and you have been snarky in most of your comments here, and not just mine.

Since I have moved on from this car since 2014, I don't have a horse in the race. If people can get any value from my warranty thread or other threads that I created in the past, it is all good.
Yup... I just say it as I see it... But I also have helped more people on here with real information or guidance.

and I still am even though ours is gone as well.... I am sure I will loose patience soon and drift away...

Oh, and since you are into "looking me up"... I have also helped many on LXForums, JaguarForums, CrosstourOwnersClub, and on and on... and I will make it real easy for ya..... I use the same user name in all of them..and I am just as blunt there as well.

Now this has gone enough...
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM

2006 R350
Back on topic please?

Thank you very much. You will note I stated I already installed a new crankshaft position sensor (CPS).

It's also good to know that the electrical type issues are not caused by timing. Leads me to believe a little more that fixing the ECU may remedy the issues.

Questions are:
1) Should it take 4 hours to diagnose a faulty ECU? I have not yet found out what codes or scientific testing they did. What should I ask?

2) They have priced a new ECU at $2500. Can I go the route to have mine repaired? Does this really work? I have been quoted a price of $500.

3) If the ECU fixes the crank no start issue, would it also be (possibly) the culprit for the car dying while driving over 40 KPH? I do not want to spend more money to keep chasing issues. I was concerned it may be the dreaded balance shaft issue but since dealer cannot start car, they cannot/will not advise.

Last edited by Foondar; 03-04-2016 at 12:53 PM.