Euro -> US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
Euro -> US

Just saw this pic from another thread

notice the yellow 'head lamps', can you do this on a Euro spec?

on the Euro, I believe this "side of the headlight" is limited to the use of the turning signal

has someone done it before?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I just turned the headlight knob clockwise to the first position. Is that not possible on a euro?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:17 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by newton22
I just turned the headlight knob clockwise to the first position. Is that not possible on a euro?
nope

well, first position on a euro would give you the "light on" .. 2nd position would be the xenon

either case, 1st position, or 2nd, and PULL would put the "fog lamps" on (headlamps, not xenon .. xenon is 2nd as you know)

--

let me ask you this, when you turn it clockwise to first position, and then give a turning signal .. does it get brighter and flick? or does it go off and come back completely?

i.e. does 1st position clockwise turn on the turning signal w/o flickering? i would not imagine so
Old 03-01-2006, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by Mowateriology
nope

well, first position on a euro would give you the "light on" .. 2nd position would be the xenon

either case, 1st position, or 2nd, and PULL would put the "fog lamps" on (headlamps, not xenon .. xenon is 2nd as you know)

--

let me ask you this, when you turn it clockwise to first position, and then give a turning signal .. does it get brighter and flick? or does it go off and come back completely?

i.e. does 1st position clockwise turn on the turning signal w/o flickering? i would not imagine so
First position turns on the running amber lights (and running tailights) like the one it that picture (no flicker). There is two brightness levels for the amber lights. In the case in that picture, the running lights are in the dim level. When you turn on the blinker, it goes bright-dim-bright-dim.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:34 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by newton22
First position turns on the running amber lights (and running tailights) like the one it that picture (no flicker). There is two brightness levels for the amber lights. In the case in that picture, the running lights are in the dim level. When you turn on the blinker, it goes bright-dim-bright-dim.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, that's what I would like to do..

By the way, when you turn it to 2nd position (xenon on), does the amber light stay on?

-

The difference between US and Euro is that, the Euro does not have "amber lights" running, except for signaling a turn.

That means, I guess, the wiring is different. Question is, has any Euro S done this before? Did the US spec.. ?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by Mowateriology
By the way, when you turn it to 2nd position (xenon on), does the amber light stay on?
Yup. I actually think I would like it better if the amber lights don't come on with the xenons.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM

SL55
I think it would look better without the amber lights, yes.

But I'd really like to have the "1st position" turning on the 'dimmed amber lights' instead of the 'dim headlights'.

Perhaps someone could offer some insight on the wiring involved. I wouldn't imagine it's THAT complicated.

But, for the Euro spec, I would also imagine that I need a set of US-dim amber lights.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
The Euro spec. has a position light or in German a "Standlicht" on position 1 of the light switch. The US "Standlicht" or position light is wired to the signalling light which has a 2 rating bulb one is 5 W (position) and one is 21W (turn signal). What you to change the Euro spec to the USA spec is a suitable bulb socket with 3 prongs (ground, turn signal and position). and an amber 2 rating bulb, than you either change the wiring of the position light to the amber socket or just parallel the "Standlicht" to the new socket.
The question here is what is the legal issue in your country. In Germany it would not be allowed and you would risk the insurance coverage and the car license.