S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

WANTED: Los Angeles Area SUPER MECHANIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 AMG, S430, Accord EX, Yamaha SECA II
Exclamation WANTED: Los Angeles Area SUPER MECHANIC

I have a 2001 S-Class and have been having constand problems over the last few years, I have replaced rocker arms, suspension, center council etc... and now heres my newest issue....

For about the last YEAR+ the car has been asking for water/coolent on average about 1/2 a gallon every other week. I could not find where the water was going and a pressure test was dont but found nothing. Now they suspect the water has been going into my engine which means a head issue. Which could cost me $4,000..... I need other options BAD...

DOES ANYONE KNOW A TRUSTWORTH, EXPERIENCED, AFFORDABLE BENZ
MECHANiC I CAN GOTO IN or NEAR HOLLYWOOD/LOS ANGELES, CA

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.....
ch1c0@aol.com

Last edited by jdcholoso; 10-22-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Buy some warranty, then take it to the mechanic.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Its over 100k miles no warranty

The new CA Law that our lame gov. put in place last year prevents me from getting any after market warrenty if its over 100k miles im at 113k this fkn sucks monkey *****.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by jdcholoso
The new CA Law that our lame gov. put in place last year prevents me from getting any after market warrenty if its over 100k miles im at 113k this fkn sucks monkey *****.
that sounds retarded lol
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM

It is what it is

Less comments, more info please. I can't change the law but I can
look for a great local affordable Mechanic for my W220.

ANYONE KNOW A GREAT LOCAL MECHANIC in LOS ANGELES, CA AREA ?

I need someone who knows his/her stuff. It may not be the heads,
well im hopnig its not i need someone with the tools, and experience to
find out.

Thanks
JDC
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 PM

2000 S500, Evo VIII MR, R35
If you still looking for a shop, try MB Tech in Alhambra. 626-2883429. and ask for Henry. He is the manager of the shop and he's a master tech from Beverly Hills Benz for 20+ yrs. Very experience guy.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks

Thanks alot Sammy I'll look into it as soon as i get back to L.A. my car is at Beverly Hills Benz now getting a second opinion on the loosing water issue. I will check it up. Thanks again its always good to have a few backups.

JDC
Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
If you have a blow head gasket. There is a few thing that will determine that.

1. Exhaust gas in your coolant. If excessive, it will cause over heating. There is a coolant chem test that will show exhaust particles in the coolant.

2. White smoke coming out of the exhaust. Sweet smelling. It is normal at warm up to get white smoke but if white smoke is exhausting out at normal operating temp. Then it is for sure you have head gasket problems.

Seriously examine the radiator and hoses. Small leak may evaporate before it get drip down on the floor if the leaks only occurs at normal op temp and at high pressure situation.

M-star automotive in La Puente is pretty good. I'm dropping off my ML55 for ABS pump replacement next week. 626-810-8161
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM

Exclamation The Situation

THANKS FOR THE INFO…

2001 S430
HERE IS WHATS HAPPENING

For about the last year + the car will give me a message saying to check the coolant level. The car never seems to over heat or anything but as I said about every other week depending on how much i drive it, the car needs about 1/2 gallon of water. I used a STOP LEAK additive from Auto Zone about 10 months back and all it seems to have done is gunk up the radiator the missing water never stopped and now im told my radiator hoses have become mushy.

Recently I got a oil change at Jiffy lube the 1st time they used the wrong oil I had them flush it and put in the correct oil "Mobile 1 0/40 Full Synthetic" the car seemed great for about a week. Then the check oil sensor light came back on and a day or 2 later I noticed when i started the car in the morning it would sound fine for the first 10 seconds then i could hear a ticking type noise coming from the lifter area, the noise was semi loud and annoying but went away usually after the car was hot and driven a while.

I took the car to a mechanic in Whittier and he said he drained the bottom of the oil pan and got a chocolate milk type consistency from the oil pan but the oil from the Dip stick looks totally fine. He said i may had a head leak but it required over $1,200 to look into it and $4000 to fix if it is the problem. He also said the oil was over by about 2 quarts which he removed and then that knocking noise went away.

MY CONCERN: the adding water has been a issue for almost over a year wouldn’t I have seen the problem sooner if it was all going into the engine?

Right now the car is at Beverly Hills MB getting checked out, Im not sure what they will find but im not always confident in them or there findings several times they were told about the water issues over the last year but they blew it off every time.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by sammy38
If you still looking for a shop, try MB Tech in Alhambra. 626-2883429. and ask for Henry. He is the manager of the shop and he's a master tech from Beverly Hills Benz for 20+ yrs. Very experience guy.
I second this recommendation. The mechanics here are very professional & reasonable in price. FWIW, they quoted me $400 to replace the air compressor pump (OEM part + labor). Another indy shop in Southbay quotes $1000 for same job (BestBenz). Not that I need anything done to my car (yet), but quite stopping by to ask about oil change (they're near my mom-in-law house), I price check for common job, just to see whether a shop is a stealer place or not.

They are very knowledgeable about the W220 line (and all other Benz model).

Btw, I asked my friend (used to be Master Tech at House Of Imports), he said some M112/M113 have problem with front gasket, not head gasket. This would cause leak in water. Another place to check is the oyster (themostart), they only leak when the engine go from hot to cold (speed run, then part for 4 hours, then check for water leak). However, since your car have that chocolate milk at the oil pan, look like somehow you get oil & water mix, so front gasket is unlikely the problem.

Take your car to Jiffy Lube for oil change ? They are one of the crookest place on earth (and employed by a bunch of idiot). Check out this clip

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

And this is a year after they're nailed for fraud by the same station.

Last edited by zam2000; 10-26-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
lol lets c what MB dealership says is the prob and how much they will quote ya.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by zam2000
I second this recommendation. The mechanics here are very professional & reasonable in price. FWIW, they quoted me $400 to replace the air compressor pump (OEM part + labor). Another indy shop in Southbay quotes $1000 for same job (BestBenz). Not that I need anything done to my car (yet), but quite stopping by to ask about oil change (they're near my mom-in-law house), I price check for common job, just to see whether a shop is a stealer place or not.

They are very knowledgeable about the W220 line (and all other Benz model).

Btw, I asked my friend (used to be Master Tech at House Of Imports), he said some M112/M113 have problem with front gasket, not head gasket. This would cause leak in water. Another place to check is the oyster (themostart), they only leak when the engine go from hot to cold (speed run, then part for 4 hours, then check for water leak). However, since your car have that chocolate milk at the oil pan, look like somehow you get oil & water mix, so front gasket is unlikely the problem.

Take your car to Jiffy Lube for oil change ? They are one of the crookest place on earth (and employed by a bunch of idiot). Check out this clip

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

And this is a year after they're nailed for fraud by the same station.
I don't normally drag up an old thread but I have to say, I searched the site for a good mechanic in the LA area and came across this thread and decided to try MB Tech. They did a great job, at one of the cheapest prices I found, and were able to do it right away. They were super clean, friendly, professional, and took their time. They also talked to me the whole time, and I watched them work on my car. I couldn't be happier. Best place ever!!