S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Making the Tire Pressure Warning Lamp go out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Making the Tire Pressure Warning Lamp go out

My car had been sitting outside for almost 2 weeks and when I started driving after a couple of miles the dash display went red and it indicated that I needed to stop urgently as one of the pressures (The display mentioned 'RL' - I assume rear left) was low. Unsurprising given the cold temperatures...The dash display also showed there was '1 Malfunction'.

I stopped at the nearest gas station and filled it up as per the instructions inside the driver's door (35psi for cold). The rear left was at 31 so topped it up to 35, and checked the other side which was already at 35 so left it as is.

The display mentioned about resetting the TPMS once the pressures were corrected. I pressed 'R' to get rid of it and then drove home. The tire pressure lamp didn't go out and on the way to work this morning it still showed up.

I took a quick look through the manual when at the gas station last night but I'd been up for 20hrs and needed to drive 2hrs home so didn't spend too long looking at it...

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The reset procedure IS in the owners manual.

See post #6 at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post2749528 for info on what might keep it from resetting.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Fraser
My car had been sitting outside for almost 2 weeks and when I started driving after a couple of miles the dash display went red and it indicated that I needed to stop urgently as one of the pressures (The display mentioned 'RL' - I assume rear left) was low. Unsurprising given the cold temperatures...The dash display also showed there was '1 Malfunction'.

I stopped at the nearest gas station and filled it up as per the instructions inside the driver's door (35psi for cold). The rear left was at 31 so topped it up to 35, and checked the other side which was already at 35 so left it as is.

The display mentioned about resetting the TPMS once the pressures were corrected. I pressed 'R' to get rid of it and then drove home. The tire pressure lamp didn't go out and on the way to work this morning it still showed up.

I took a quick look through the manual when at the gas station last night but I'd been up for 20hrs and needed to drive 2hrs home so didn't spend too long looking at it...

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks!
Go into the menu where it displays the individuals pressures on the dash. Then hit the reset button, and it will ask you if you want to reset. Go to yes, and then the display will read "tire pressures will be available after a few miles of driving" or something similar. Then drive it for about 15 minutes and you'll get readings.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Oh dear, schoolboy error Thanks for the heads up though...

Tonight I reset the TPMS and drove for long enough to get the pressures back reading again. Strangely the dash gave me the 'warning tire defect' issue (in red) citing the pressure despite the fact pressures on the display were almost exactly what the cold pressure listed inside the driver's door! May have been 35/36 on the rear and 32 on each side on the front.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Tonight I reset the TPMS and drove for long enough to get the pressures back reading again. Strangely the dash gave me the 'warning tire defect' issue (in red) citing the pressure despite the fact pressures on the display were almost exactly what the cold pressure listed inside the driver's door! May have been 35/36 on the rear and 32 on each side on the front.
I was told that the tires had to be at least 10% within each other otherwise you get the warning.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos

I think you may have a busted sensor or control unit.

The TPMS on my car literally gave me and my dealer fits until they replaced the control unit. I used to get the warnings all the time. Since the new control unit, it has been 100% perfect.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I think you may have a busted sensor or control unit.

The TPMS on my car literally gave me and my dealer fits until they replaced the control unit. I used to get the warnings all the time. Since the new control unit, it has been 100% perfect.
Do you know how much that'd run to approximately? I've got a Chrysler Maximum Care warranty so am not too concerned and it looks like TPMS would be covered under that.

The car gave me rather different readings on the way to work than it did last night (in Skylaw's thread it mentioned that it shows default on the dash display after reset) so I'm going to have a play with some air tonight and get them in check somewhat, then try resetting again. Fun times!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Just for reference guys:

I run my tires 34 up front and 26 in the rear for better bite

On RARE occasions, I get the idiot reading. Hit reset and its gone. I agree with the above post that you probably have a low battery in one of the sensors. By the way, they are NOT replaceable and they are NOT cheap, go figure.
Or at least that what my MB tech says.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Just for reference guys:

I run my tires 34 up front and 26 in the rear for better bite

On RARE occasions, I get the idiot reading. Hit reset and its gone. I agree with the above post that you probably have a low battery in one of the sensors. By the way, they are NOT replaceable and they are NOT cheap, go figure.
Or at least that what my MB tech says.

Good luck
Shoot. Well I guess that's what the warranty is for, right?

How much is not cheap? Not cheap for the part, or not cheap as far as W220 repairs go?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
At the dealer, sensors are like almost $300 each. You can get a whole set from tire rack for $300 that will work but are not MB branded, or you can get them for $90 each in an MB box from www.parts.com.

The control unit is like $850 or so.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Had a play with some air and reset the TPMS and once it had figured itself out (ca. 10mins or so) it decided it was happy. For the first time after this reset the 'Tire Defect' warning didn't appear. Fingers crossed it is sorted, time will tell!

Update:
On the way into work this morning all was fine until after about 5 mins when the "Tire Pressure, RL Caution Tire Defect" light came back on again. Sounds like, as you've suggested, the rear left TPMS sensor is gone. Looks like they're $69 a pop on parts.com. Not bad.

Last edited by Fraser; 01-07-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Dealership fixed it for nothing as the car is still CPO.

Sensor on rear left was out.