S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Battery Died, engine not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
Battery Died, engine not getting fuel

I had a problem with my gas pedal, when I try and accelerate in had to push down on the pedal multiple times until it registered and accelerated. I took the car to my mechanic and I ordered a new pedal.

In the meantime the battery died! I installed the new pedal, charged the battery and now the car does not start.

It seems that the car is not getting any gas, it turns over just fine.

Any ideas before I have to tow it into a MB dealer and pay $190 for a diag>

It is a 2000 S500

Thanks,

DT

Last edited by djt242; 01-08-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: forgot to place year of car
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM

s500
Took the car in

Ok, so I ended up taking the car in to a shop. It sounds like I might have a dead battery, which we will replace. The gas pedal was bad so I already replaced. He is telling me that nothing is showing up on the diag machine so he thinks that it might be a "Crank Shaft Sensor"? I have never heard of this sensor...........has anyone out there heard of this?

DT
Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
That sensor is a known problem and would cause a no start problem. just seems weird it all happened at the same time.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
yeah crank sensor is very common failure item

Let us know how much they charge you
Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 PM

s500
update:

So I met with the tech. He found that a drain between the windshield and the hood was clogged. This led to moisture in the car. The moisture mainly damaged the fuse box under the passenger side rear seat. It looks like I will have to replace the fuse box and another controller that it is connected to.

Sounds like everything is going wrong at the same time.

DT
Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 PM

s500
Help Please

OK,

So now I am back to the drawing board. My tech replaced the fusebox and controller under the rear passenger seat. Picked up the car and it runs just fine...except now the passenger side electronics are not working. I will have him look at that later.

Next day car had problems again. Car shut off and I difficulty starting again.

Brought the car back once again and my tech said that it is the crank sensor. Ok, I thought that this was the original problem. So I have him replace it.

Pick up the car and it is running great. Get in the car the next day and what do you know...doesn't start again. The car finally starts but is running real rough, like it is having trouble getting gas. Called the tech and he came out and hooked up the handheld diag. It read cylinder 6 was not firing...then 7, 8. He wants me to bring it back in.

Any ideas out there?? Any help would be great
so far:
Replaced gas pedal $200
Replaced Fusebox and controller $750
Replaced crank sensor $200
I still need him to look into the passenger side electronics that happen to fail at the same time.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by djt242
OK,

So now I am back to the drawing board. My tech replaced the fusebox and controller under the rear passenger seat. Picked up the car and it runs just fine...except now the passenger side electronics are not working. I will have him look at that later.

Next day car had problems again. Car shut off and I difficulty starting again.

Brought the car back once again and my tech said that it is the crank sensor. Ok, I thought that this was the original problem. So I have him replace it.

Pick up the car and it is running great. Get in the car the next day and what do you know...doesn't start again. The car finally starts but is running real rough, like it is having trouble getting gas. Called the tech and he came out and hooked up the handheld diag. It read cylinder 6 was not firing...then 7, 8. He wants me to bring it back in.

Any ideas out there?? Any help would be great
so far:
Replaced gas pedal $200
Replaced Fusebox and controller $750
Replaced crank sensor $200
I still need him to look into the passenger side electronics that happen to fail at the same time.
The simple things.. when was the last time you changed your fule filter or checked the fule pump is working properly? Also, the gas pedal HAS to be programmed ( version coded ) in order to function properly.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 PM

s500
Thanks!

I didn't know that the pedal had to be coded. I will start there and move to the fuel pump if that does not work.

Thank you!