S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

windsheild washer leak/o-ring replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
‘03 MB S600; ‘07 Saab Aero conv; ‘65 Vette; ‘66 vette; ‘05 BMW Z4
windsheild washer leak/o-ring replacement

My '03 S-600 is leaking washer fluid. I took a look and cannot really identify where the leak is coming from, though after reading some of the posts, I suspect it is leaking from the externally tank-mounted pump o-ring, which is located at the front of the tank.

Can someone suggest how I can remove the pump (is it threaded or more of a press-fit)? Is there anything else that needs to be done other than remove the pump, replace the o-ring, and re-insert the pump again? If I remove the pump, pop off the o-ring and take it to the dealer, will they readily have a replacement?

Lastly - the resevoir cap is broken in two (part fell into the resevoir, just for fun). Will the dealer sell me a replacement cap, or will they want me to buy a new resevoir?

I am a Newbie - can I use standard fluid, or is there anything special about the MB fluid?

Thanks in advance,
B
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Use your search for my detailed thread on this subject..
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 PM

I read your post - thanks. I saw someone mentioned that coolant and the washer fluid are both clear. What's leaking has a light blue color (so I assumed it was washer fluid), but after reading the post remembered a few days ago my wife mentioned getting a "check coolant level" mssg. I'm now thinking that maybe it's antifreeze?

From reading the post, I'm assuming I can simply pull up on the pump and it will disengage from the tank - correct? Once free, I'm thinking I can get a better idea if it's the o-ring or the hose...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 S55
The pumps just press into the seals, which are more of a rubber grommet than o-ring. There are 2 different sizes, one for the washer for the windshield, and a larger one for the washer for the headlamps.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Both coolant and windshield washer fluid could be blueish. To find out you need to smell/taste the fluids. The washer fluid smells like alcohol (antifreeze additives). The coolant fluid tastes sweet (glycol).

The washer pumps are just pressed into the grommets. What als could make you lossing washer fluid is a damaged headlight washer valve (under the small lids in the bumper) Open the lids with your fingernails and compare both sides. I had this problem when the forst hit our area hard. The headlight washer froze and the pressure just shot the valve away, and then the washer fluid just gets lost, almost completely
Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bamberger_1
Both coolant and windshield washer fluid could be blueish. To find out you need to smell/taste the fluids. The washer fluid smells like alcohol (antifreeze additives). The coolant fluid tastes sweet (glycol).

The washer pumps are just pressed into the grommets. What als could make you lossing washer fluid is a damaged headlight washer valve (under the small lids in the bumper) Open the lids with your fingernails and compare both sides. I had this problem when the forst hit our area hard. The headlight washer froze and the pressure just shot the valve away, and then the washer fluid just gets lost, almost completely
I would NOT suggest tasting the fluids. Antifreeze kills animals all the time it is a poison. Not trying to start anything just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Talking

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
I would NOT suggest tasting the fluids. Antifreeze kills animals all the time it is a poison. Not trying to start anything just my opinion.
hey, I didn't say to drink the stuff, just try with your tounge. BTW, years ago the Austrian wine makers sweetened their "vinegar" with it to increased the sweetness. Nobody died from that, just huge headache the day after
Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I had a leak with my window washer system too, and my headlamp washers would not work.

The Solution: Opened up the headlamp washer port in the bumper, and noticed the nozzles were missing. Replaced all 4 nozzles, and the leak stopped. The window washers are connected to the headlamp, so a leak there made my window washer stop - came back to normal after replacing nozzles though.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM

Thanks to all for your input. Here's an update:

I went to the dealer and purchased two of the grommets ($2 each), two 40ml bottles of the windshield washer concentrate ($2.50 ea, makes 1 gallon of washer fluid when diluted), and a gallon of antifreeze ($18.50). I asked several times, and the parts person told me the antifreeze was pre-diluted to 50% (not sure I believed him).

I'm pretty confident that the leak was the windshield washer fluid. I had stuck my head under the car when it was dripping, and it looked bluish. The reservoir was also almost empty, where the engine coolant reservoir stayed 1/2 - 3/4 full.

I topped off the coolant and considered the "malfunction" to be a coincidence and not related to the leak.

I pulled up on the washer pumps, but they didn't come out easily. I'll admit that I was a little cautious - I don't want to break anything - so I pulled a couple of times, they did not pop out as hoped, so I thought I'd try a different approach.

I filled the windshield washer resevoir with water to try and see where it was leaking.

Nothing.

Drove the car for 2 days. Still no leak, resevoir level holding steady.

I emptied the resevoir, refilled with washer fluid. Drove the car, and waited another day.

Still no leak or change in level.

I'm leaving for 10 days in Ireland tomorrow. I'm sure my wife will call me once I've landed to tell me there's a puddle in the driveway.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Windshield washer leak update

Here's an update to my old post.

After almost a year without any leaks, the windsheild fluid is leaking again (though I admit the car rarely gets used). Last year I had replaced the grommets and thought that it solved the problem.

The fluid seems to be leaking from a large cylinder-shaped plastic part behind the bumper. Near the edges of the bumper there a black wire inserts. I popped the one out on the passenger side, and directly behind it was a dark-gray plastic cylinder (pump?). When I fill the reservoir it is emptying immediately - and water is running out of the side of the cylinder.

Any idea what the cylinder is, and if it is easy/difficult to replace?

As always, thanks for the advice.
B
Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
the dealer will sell you only the resevoir cap cost about $3.5. you can install it yourself, it is straight forward process.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:20 PM

300SL
Originally Posted by Bills600
Here's an update to my old post.

After almost a year without any leaks, the windsheild fluid is leaking again (though I admit the car rarely gets used). Last year I had replaced the grommets and thought that it solved the problem.

The fluid seems to be leaking from a large cylinder-shaped plastic part behind the bumper. Near the edges of the bumper there a black wire inserts. I popped the one out on the passenger side, and directly behind it was a dark-gray plastic cylinder (pump?). When I fill the reservoir it is emptying immediately - and water is running out of the side of the cylinder.

Any idea what the cylinder is, and if it is easy/difficult to replace?

As always, thanks for the advice.
B
Does your car have Headlamp washers? I ask as mine does and I once activated them while driving and one of the flaps must have been frozen shut and broke the bit that comes out and squirts the water. Lift up the flaps on both sides, if there is a difference, you have the same problem as me.There are 2 parts of which you will need one or the other.

My car is a W220 S320. If your car is different these part numbers wont apply.

220 860 1347 £37.70 +VAT The whole cylinder shaped unit
220 860 1647 £17.30 +VAT The part that comes out and squirts.

Good luck
Old 02-18-2011, 03:54 PM

2001 s 430 84Kmiles black on black
Check the headlamp washers nozzles. Fount that problem on my car last week. I was in a rush at the garage and just disconnected the hose, that goes from wwasher fluid bucket to headlamp washers, and sealed it with rubber cap. I might have to order part to replace it but since i used it may be two time since 2005 i dont think i need them at all.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM

2003 S430
I have a 2003 S430.The nozzle for the head lamp washer on the passenger side is missing.Could some one tell me how much it would cost and could I order it and install it myself