S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

No Sound, NO CD Changer, just no audio

Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500 2001
No Sound, NO CD Changer, just no audio

Im new here and this is my first post, I have s500 220 engine, and was driving to work this morning listening to radio, all of a sudden, the radio stopped, when I got to work, I cut off power and start again, and its start again, during lunch I starts the engine, this time, no sound from radio, no cd changer on console, and tape no sound, I read a lot online that I should check fuse 61 and 66 at the back, I dont know where this rear fuse box is, i remove the back seat and there is nothing like fuse box there, I saw a sliver plate and a small module, can someone please let me know where this rear fuse box is or if you know other reasons why command center will not work. thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum.

The rear fuse panel is behind the courtesy light under the right rear seat. The courtesy light has a plastic panel behind it; that's the fuse box cover. The silver unit you saw is the rear Signal Acquisition Module (SAM), and the fuse panel you're looking for is part of it; but don't mess with the silver box. No need to.

You obviously don't have an owner's manual, because the locations of fuse boxes/panel is discussed there. If you are a U.S. owner, you can register free on the MBUSA site, and download a manual for your car.

Another resource that may be helpful is the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-here.html - scroll down to the end of the thread for the latest update.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-02-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 PM

s500 2001
Thank you for replying so quickly. Please excsue my ignornance, everything you said is correct, but how do i get to that box, do i open the courtesy light? or move the carper cover away a little bit, the silver thing coverseverything, and I do have the owners manual, its just says fuse box under the rear sit, just one line word, no description whatsever, please tell me exactly how I can get to this box.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 PM

s500
Under the rear right seat their is a courtesy light. Surrounding that light is a plastic piece. Take a flat-head screwdriver and pry that plastic piece (top down) out. It should pop right out; and their is your fuse box.
No Sound, NO CD Changer, just no audio-photo.jpg
No Sound, NO CD Changer, just no audio-photo2.jpg
No Sound, NO CD Changer, just no audio-photo3.jpg

Last edited by mbrandon; 10-02-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 PM

s500 2001
Wow, thank you so much, I was looking at the wrong place, I got it opened and check all the fuses, they are all OK, and still no sound, I went to the back to check the cd changer area, I took out the telephone relay out and there was lot of water at the bottom of the cd changer, lots of it, it rain heavily in the last 48 hrs and I remeber passing through heavy water road 2 days ago, I think water has caused the problem, atleast now I narrow down to something, my friend who works at the MB dealership is on the way to help remove the changer, we plan to clean it and dry the water or possible remove the changer, all the orange fibre cables are in water, so if we remove the changer and the radio works, then we know for sure. I also went to command center and did reset the it by pressing mute+1+3, i saw some codes when I did testing N1111, N1116, N1112,N1113, B1012, B1762, B1780, B1736 TWICE, N1132 and the component test showed CD NOT CHECKED, TELEPHONE CHECKED, SBS NOT CHECKED, SOUND CHECKED, MOBILE PHONE CHECKED. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 PM

s500 2001
We dried the water, disconnect the changer, I run a small fan from the house to dry the components more for about 2 hrs, still no sound, at this point, what could possibly be the problem? Amp? CD changer or the Command center? Im seriously considering getting an aftermarket nav unit that does everything, they have great reviews, but the question is even with custom installations, how much of MB controls am I going to lose, for example, steering wheel control, teleaid, not that i use it, voice prompt and many more.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
I've had an AMP go bad on me before. it could be a problem. if i'm not mistaken used is under 200 bucks on fleabay.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 PM

2003 Mercedes S-430
problems

The whole system works in a loop. If you think the cd changer is bad then just bypass it but make sure the loop is still connected. You cannot just take the cd changer out, you have to plug the cd changer fiber optic cord(orange wire) into another component. If it still doesnt work just go down the line with components and bypass them. I had water in my trunk and i bypassed the cell phone module and my radio worked. I have an 03 and my cell phone module is analog and my phone is digital so i didnt even need the module. The after market navis are cool but they just dont look right in an sclass unless its built in right. And from what i have heard, you do loose steering wheel controls but im not sure on that.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
I know excaty what is going on. I had the same problem, for some reason the area is know to flood if you dont remove the plug at the bottom. Your CD shorted out, and now you have to replace it. The above post is correct the system works on a loop since your cd player is shorted out the sound is gone. Becareful when you pull out the cd player as i accidently broke the poker plug and still have not found a replacement. you can get a used cd changer for around 150 - 200 on ebay.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM

s500 2001
Water damage - Insurance Claim on Amp, CD changer, telephone - NO SOUND

Few days ago, my car radio just shut down, I tried everything possible, but the car radio wont turn on, no sound at all on everything, I went back to take a look and there was water underneath the amp and the changer. I pumped all the water out and now my unit turns on but no sound and no recognition of a cd changer. how the water got there, I dont know, but I know 2 things, its rain heavily in the last few weeks and second, I was rear ended by someone, my car was pushed that I hit the car in the front, my car have been repaired, new front bumper, rear bumper painted only, could the damage came from the repair shop, I havent contacted them yet. I called my insurance and filed a claim, the adjuster came out and he couldnt find source of the water either, he wrote an estimate to take the car to the dealership so they can take the trunk apart and find where the leak is, Im begining to suspect that my insurance dont want to be responsible for this, as at the time to this writing, they are still trying to determine the cause of the water damage, I called my insurance to get a rental paid for, they said NO because they dont know if they are going to be responsible for it, my question is how do you approach something like this, I just need some advise as I know this is going to be a costly repair
Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes S500
I had the same problem with mine after a ice chest got knocked over and flooded out all the equipment in the truck. I removed everything, dried it all out and installed it and it started working fine again. there is a 20A fuse right in the back of the amp in the truck area (where the CD changer is). Pull that out and give it about 30 seconds. Install the fuse and see if you are back to working order again.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the electronics bay behind the left rear wheel, in the trunk, there is a vent through which water can sometimes pass. Look at possible openings aft of the left rear wheel, and possibly under the left rear quarter panel that would let water get in through that vent.

Do not replace the fuse until you know your equipment is dry, including the connectors. See the phone bulletin for your car for some assistance locating things - http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-16-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM

2001 s500
2001 s500

hello im new to this site. im not sure if i'm putting this in the right place. i just purchased a 2001 s500 the volume control on the steering wheel works ( right side) but the controls on the left side, which i believe are to change the cd do not work.. Any help please..
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See the response to your original post of this question.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 AM

W220 S500
CD CHANGER NOT WORKING NO SOUND

I own a 2000 s500 when I bought it no sound was coming out at all the dealer awful liar told me the old owner disconected the sound BS ! anyway what I found out that if 1 thing doesn't work it all wont work I got lucky found a cd changer in my area of a doner s430 only $100 I knew the cd changer didn't work because the car kept on saying empty cd so I put the used cd changer in automatically the sound came on & has stayed on ! so hopefully this can help some1 else!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 PM

S
No audio

Please maybe you can help me. You seem to Be an expert upon w220.

I have the problem where I'm receiving no sound. I have the D2B. I checked the fiber optic lights and it seems to be that everything blinks expect the light from the amp. Although thru the cable the light blinks. Does this mean I have a bad amp? Plus I tried taking a remote lead for my sub amp and I tapped into a blue/black wire from the amp by the fuse... did mess up my cd changer seems to function fine, meaning ejecting and stuff..should try getting a coupler for the cd changer? I disconnected the negative terminal too, no luck.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:51 PM

W220 S500
No sound

Originally Posted by Russell Waseem
Please maybe you can help me. You seem to Be an expert upon w220.

I have the problem where I'm receiving no sound. I have the D2B. I checked the fiber optic lights and it seems to be that everything blinks expect the light from the amp. Although thru the cable the light blinks. Does this mean I have a bad amp? Plus I tried taking a remote lead for my sub amp and I tapped into a blue/black wire from the amp by the fuse... did mess up my cd changer seems to function fine, meaning ejecting and stuff..should try getting a coupler for the cd changer? I disconnected the negative terminal too, no luck.
You have to start with 1 at a time like I said if 1 thing doesn't work it all doesn't work I try the cd changer first because it's the cheapest if it doesn't work return it keep on doing it trial & error good luck
Old 07-12-2015, 08:17 PM

S
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Welcome to the forum.

The rear fuse panel is behind the courtesy light under the right rear seat. The courtesy light has a plastic panel behind it; that's the fuse box cover. The silver unit you saw is the rear Signal Acquisition Module (SAM), and the fuse panel you're looking for is part of it; but don't mess with the silver box. No need to.

You obviously don't have an owner's manual, because the locations of fuse boxes/panel is discussed there. If you are a U.S. owner, you can register free on the MBUSA site, and download a manual for your car.

Another resource that may be helpful is the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-here.html - scroll down to the end of the thread for the latest update.

I have the problem where I'm receiving no sound. I have the D2B. I checked the fiber optic lights and it seems to be that everything blinks expect the light from the amp. Although thru the cable the light blinks. Does this mean I have a bad amp? Plus I tried taking a remote lead for my sub amp and I tapped into a blue/black wire from the amp by the fuse... did I mess up? And my cd changer seems to function fine, meaning ejecting and stuff..should try getting a coupler for the cd changer? I disconnected the negative terminal too, no luck.or can it be the voice recognition module. I don't know if I have that module.. 2001 s430

Last edited by Russell Waseem; 07-12-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
I have an extra working cd changer if you need.

$100 shipped conus.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 AM

s500
extra working cd changer

Do you still have the extra working cd changer?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Yep, still got it.

Email me kllew87 at hushmail dot com for faster response.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:25 PM

2001 Mercedes s 500
Radio plays then stop after awhile it plays again

Originally Posted by aminu707
Im new here and this is my first post, I have s500 220 engine, and was driving to work this morning listening to radio, all of a sudden, the radio stopped, when I got to work, I cut off power and start again, and its start again, during lunch I starts the engine, this time, no sound from radio, no cd changer on console, and tape no sound, I read a lot online that I should check fuse 61 and 66 at the back, I dont know where this rear fuse box is, i remove the back seat and there is nothing like fuse box there, I saw a sliver plate and a small module, can someone please let me know where this rear fuse box is or if you know other reasons why command center will not work. thanks
I had the same problem but I found out when opened my SOS door and left it open my radio is OK now.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Thanks
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 PM

2001 Mercedes s 500
One repair to fix radio

Originally Posted by aminu707
Inspfiftysix@gmail.com
I was having the trouble with the radio playing then it would stop, sometimes for a few seconds and sometimes, 10 min or for days before I would get it to play again. I event kept trying turning it on and off. I was reading the forum and noticed one about the SOS Button, I had tried many things but about the SOS Button that sounded like this might e my solution , so I push on the SOS button until it flipped open and I left it that way, and at first it stayed on longer then after a day it stayed on from then on. So if I was you I would try it.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 PM

Mercedes s430
hey guys im new here
so i just got this used s430 and the cd changer is missing
is there any way to bypass it or any way to get the radio working just want the radio i dont care for cd and all that

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No Sound, NO CD Changer, just no audio