S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Question for the V-12 People!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL 600,2002 M3,1993 Vette!
Question for the V-12 People!

I just purchased my 2005 SL-600. Less than 15,000 Miles on it!
I love it but here's the problem.
When I jump on it hard from a very slow roll (did it on test drive) the car starts to take off and then nothing happens!!!

It's like someone disconnected the throttle linkage. It will accelerate but extremely slow even though my foot is all the way to the floor.
It's running,no miss or stumbling, just very very unresponsive. It doesn't matter where the gas pedal is, it just doesn't respond!

The words ESP show on the speedometer side and on the tach side shows something about "bring it to the dealer or some such thing!

The seller freaked and asked what I did. I said nothing! Look at my foot! It's on the the gas pedal and all the way on the floor!! He called his MB service rep. While he was on his cell I pulled over,shut it down and restarted it and it went back to normal. No ESP word or advice about taking it to the dealer. He handed me his cell and the service rep told me it's probably because the owner never got on it. He said "Do it again"

I did and the same thing happened again!

I shut it down,cranked it up and it was back to normal.

We drove to the dealer. The service rep took over and got on it but not as quick with the pedal as I did but the car took off and responded fine.

He assured me the owner always took great care of the car and just to ease my mind he would take it in service and check out everything on the computer.
The car checked out without any problems and he even gave me the 5 page readout.

I was in Miami and proceeded to drive home (New Orleans)

After getting some rest I was up at 05:30 and on my way again.

There was hardly anyone on the interstate so I slowed way down so that when I got on it it would down shift into first gear.

Damn! It did it again!! I did the same restart and then I thought, let me try it with the ESP off and see what happens.

The tires started to break loose and then "BAM!" It did it again!

Now I'm getting pissed because the car is out of warranty (5 yrs old)
and it's Saturday about 06:00 in the morning.

Shut it down. Same old results. Back to normal and I decide to stop and eat breakfast. On the way there, Bink! Engine Check Light pops up!

Now I'm getting a little concerned!

While drinking some coffee I remember Auto Zone has a computer!

I find one on my phone! (How did we survive without these damn Smart Phones!!) The guy says "sure" bring it over and we'll check it out.

I finish up, go outside, crank the Beast up and Walla! The check engine light was out! I'm Happy! I won't hear the wife say" Check engine light!!"
Why did you buy it? They just don't get it!

Anyway, i call Auto Zone and tell the guy what happened and thanks but I'm hitting the road.

It's now Sunday evening and I'm back home and going to go over to Hans and Fritz in the AM.

They have a great reputation and ONLY work on MB's!

What do you people think is going on?

It's only when I punch it past the resistance near the bottom of the pedal that it has this problem. And only when it shift's down to first gear,I think!

Because if I nail it at say 60mph it's no problem.

Thanks for listening!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM

S600
Welcome to the high maint. world of MB... I bet this will remain a mystery, please post if they find out what the problem is. I have a 2004 S600 and (knock on wood) the engine is in excellent shape and the car GOES, close to 80k miles and it's still a beast. Never had a problem like the one you're mentioning.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
Hey, if you don't mind, what did you paid for the car. It sound like you got a cherry of a car. Good luck and happy motoring.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 422 Posts
Mercedes
punching a twinturbo v12 from a slow speed kicks in the ESP/ traction control,otherwise your tires would be spinning in a cloud of smoke...

So something is wrong when it kicks in.

Even turning ESP traction control "off" it does not completely turn it off...thats why it spun for a second then slowed down again
Old 11-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
check to see if your floor mat is not stuck under your gas pedal. this can create a problem also. the mats shift around and can block the normal movement of the pedal. give it a try. kind of a crazy thing but maybe...
Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by tusabes
punching a twinturbo v12 from a slow speed kicks in the ESP/ traction control,otherwise your tires would be spinning in a cloud of smoke...

So something is wrong when it kicks in.

Even turning ESP traction control "off" it does not completely turn it off...thats why it spun for a second then slowed down again
That's what I'm thinking as I read this. When the boost kicks in, torque goes up, ESP comes on, the ECU shots throttle, cuts boost, and the party stops ... this is one of the issues we've addressed with the TCU (which helps put power down but without eliminating ESP).

PM me if the issue persists, or let me know where you're located and I'll try to recommend a good service shop to make double-sure there is no other issue.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM

2005 SL 600,2002 M3,1993 Vette!
Thanks for all the opinions!

I took it to the M.B. dealer and it pulled a code of P20DD which is a B37
(Accelerator pedal sensor),Short circuit at signal path 1 (PO123)

That's what it shows on the computer readout.

The part number is: 230-300-01-04 which is the gas pedal module I read about in other threads.

M.B. wanted $252.15 for a total of $430.00 with labor.

I passed on that! I'll get it on the web!

Funny thing is I had to do it from a dead stop to get the car do to it with the tech on board. I tried it two times from a slow roll and it didn't do it!

Since leaving the dealer yesterday I've got on it from a slow roll and a dead stop and it's been working fine??

I love these adaptive automobiles!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Hey, I had that same problem with my S55 - after the accelerator pedal was replaced, it was working fine again. I think I got it done for less than $300 at an Indy.