S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Another ABC thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 S600 (w/ fake AMG badge, I think)
Another ABC thread

I've searched and found a few things but nothing that exactly fits my sitch.

Over the course of three or four days I notice a growing puddle of fluid under the front of the car. It didn't seem thick enough to be oil so I assumed I had a power steering fluid leak.

I decide to take it for a drive (after checking the oil) and it didn't take long to get an ABC warning/error. I'm assuming the issue is low or absent fluid.

As fast as it dumped it seems like a line but maybe more. Has anyone had this experience and if so, can you let me in on how hard I should expect to have to clench when I bend over at the dealer?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
depends where its leaking and if youve had the hoses replaced under the recall.

It could be the hoses, pump, , strut, valve block etc. Hoses should be free if the recall hasnt been done, but the strut pump or block are four figure repairs.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes
depends where its leaking and if youve had the hoses replaced under the recall.

It could be the hoses, pump, , strut, valve block etc. Hoses should be free if the recall hasnt been done, but the strut pump or block are four figure repairs.
Other than talking to a dealer, is there a site I can visit to determine if my car has had this done?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Just call a dealer and give the service advisor your VIN number. They can tell you what recalls have been taken care of on your car, not to mention any work that has been done to it from any other MB dealer.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Chris250
Other than talking to a dealer, is there a site I can visit to determine if my car has had this done?
Why wouldnt you talk to the dealer? You can call any dealer in the country, doesnt need to be your local one, if you dont like them
Old 12-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Why wouldnt you talk to the dealer? You can call any dealer in the country, doesnt need to be your local one, if you dont like them
Three reasons:
  1. I didn't want to wait until Monday.
  2. The closest dealer is 60 miles from me.
  3. Call me paranoid but what's to stop them from being less than honest in order to extract bales of cash for more fix than I need?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Last time I checked, phones work well to talk to someone 60 miles away.

And last I checked, no one can extract any money out of you over the phone if you dont give them your account number.

Stop being afraid to call the dealer, any dealer, and ask if your VIN has had the recall performed. No one else has this info and you cant find it online.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Last time I checked, phones work well to talk to someone 60 miles away.

And last I checked, no one can extract any money out of you over the phone if you dont give them your account number.
You check on those things? Maybe you should get yourself a hobby.

Stop being afraid to call the dealer, any dealer, and ask if your VIN has had the recall performed. No one else has this info and you cant find it online.
You almost completely missed the point of my post. Your reply may have been untimely but at least it was condescening and uncalled for.

Luckily for you, I'm here to help. My post was made after dealership COB. I wanted to know the answer immediately rather than wait until Monday.

Next time trying reading before you respond.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
youre not going to do well on these forums, better start a new screen name
Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 PM

youre not going to do well on these forums, better start a new screen name
Could be but I'll stick where I am. Thanks for your concern.

Apparently, if bad manners and self-importance are expected then you'll be just fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Chris250
Apparently, if bad manners and self-importance are expected then you'll be just fine.
Well, Chris, it looks to me more like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder, indulging in bad manners and self-importance - in your own words.

Virtually all of your posts are very negative toward the idea of contacting the dealer, so it would seem this reluctance is due to something other than your allegation you'd have to wait until Monday - which was not even the situation when you made your initial post, unless your dealership closes on Fridays. Your initial post was on a Thursday, and would give those who read your post the idea you could have contacted him. You demand immediate response - and you snap at someone who tried to help you by telling you that the information was available only through the dealer.

You might pay attention to making your point more clearly, rather than demanding that folks who are trying to help you keep up with a time line only you know about. And as for your "Luckily for you, I'm here to help" comment - just how much do you think you "helped" tusabes?

And don't expect us to tolerate both your impatience and your snapping at those trying to help - especially after they have given you the correct answer. No one pays us to respond. No one owes you anything.

Courtesy will get you much farther.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-14-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Well, Chris, it looks to me more like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder, indulging in bad manners and self-importance - in your own words.
Let me get this straight - when I respond in kind, with sarcasm, you act like you took your underwear out of the dryer a little too soon.

Virtually all of your posts are very negative toward the idea of contacting the dealer, so it would seem this reluctance is due to something other than your allegation you'd have to wait until Monday - which was not even the situation when you made your initial post, unless your dealership closes on Fridays. Your initial post was on a Thursday, and would give those who read your post the idea you could have contacted him.
Sky, first post mentioned nothing about talking with a dealer. First response suggesting dealer contact was Friday after COB. BTW, I did speak with a dealer Monday A.M.

You seem to be in such a hurry to vilify my refusal to accept a pissy response you didn't really read the thread, either. The timeline is intact.

You demand immediate response - and you snap at someone who tried to help you by telling you that the information was available only through the dealer.
"Demand"? Can't you make whatever point you're attempting without such obvious embellishment?

You might pay attention to making your point more clearly, rather than demanding that folks who are trying to help you keep up with a time line only you know about.
You honestly can't go back and see that I wanted to know if recall info is available online?

And as for your "Luckily for you, I'm here to help" comment - just how much do you think you "helped" tusabes?
My mere attempt at return-sarcasm.

And don't expect us to tolerate both your impatience and your snapping at those trying to help - especially after they have given you the correct answer. No one pays us to respond. No one owes you anything.
Correct answer is great. Boorishly given I can do without.

Courtesy will get you much farther.
Agreed. It does, however, need to go both ways.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
This surely will not end well for someone...

Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, Chris, you once again show the forum that you cannot read yourself - indeed, I did rather carefully consider each of the points you raise, stated so in my response, and note your attempts to squirm out of responsibility for a needless attack and rude reply to a forum member who tried to help you.

I do hope you don't change your screen name. I'll know whose questions to ignore.

Good day.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Well, Chris, you once again show the forum that you cannot read yourself - indeed, I did rather carefully consider each of the points you raise, stated so in my response, and note your attempts to squirm out of responsibility for a needless attack and rude reply to a forum member who tried to help you.

I do hope you don't change your screen name. I'll know whose questions to ignore.

Good day.
After seeing what you chose to post, I'm just fine with you minding your own business. You may or may not have noticed but you offered nothing whatsoever on-topic. You instead designated yourself "post deputy" - I guess every site has one.

BTW, sorry you continue to have trouble understanding the timeline.

Good day back atcha.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have no problems at all understanding the time line. Post #11 covered this in brief - but you seem determined to remain willfully ignorant of the time line, because it doesn't help your story. So here it is in depth.

12-08-2011 - a Thursday evening - you post your request for help, and comment "can you let me in on how hard I should expect to have to clench when I bend over at the dealer?"

12-09-2011, early Friday morning - tusabes provides a reply mentioning recall (a dealer item), mentions figures for repair varying from free to expensive, depending on items - that you would determine only through a dealer, who would know whether the recall applied to your situation, and to what extent.

12-09-2011, Friday evening - Once again you resist talking to a dealer, and want a website. A bit more than an hour later, cmpcpro recommends a dealer so that you can get information. 18 minutes later, tusabes asks you why you wouldn't want to talk to a dealer. You have clearly let at least one opportunity pass.

Now, neither of the responding members knows WHY you won't talk to a dealer - especially since you had Friday to do so. I don't know about your neck of the woods (you don't give us the courtesy of knowing that) but my local MB dealer is open on Saturdays, and will also make Sunday appointments when necessary.

12-10-2011, early Saturday afternoon - you provide your list as to why you don't want to contact a dealer. Its reasoning is specious.
1) You didn't want to wait until Monday - a situation that did not exist when tusabes first replied; you had all day Friday. You're trying to back that one in.
2) The closest dealer is 60 miles away - sorry, tusabes nailed that one. Phones DO cover distances of 60 miles and more, easily. By this time, we're trusting your story about as much as your fake AMG badge.
3) You state your dislike of dealers, at least yours, again - "...less than honest in order to extract bales of cash for more fix than I need" Aha, the truth of it!! Your dislike for dealers was already clear, and now you have confirmed why - you drive an expensive car, but don't think you should have to spend what is necessary to maintain it. Unfortunately, as tusabes and cmpcpro had already told you, you needed to contact your dealer. Your dislike of dealers wasn't going to change that.

12-12-2011, Monday - a bit tired of your games, tusabes calls it, and spells it out in detail: "No one else has this info and you can't find it online." And he is correct. He also points out the logical inconsistencies in your response.

12-13-2011, Tuesday - you snap at tusabes - but contrary to your accusation, he had not missed your point. He understood it in your first post. You were slow on the uptake, and cmpcpro spelled it out for you - but still, you had resisted their advice (and the correct answer), and did not act on it until Monday - criticizing tusabes as if that were his fault. You accuse tusabes of an "untimely" response - it wasn't. His first response would have sent a logical person to the dealer, and you had plenty of time to act on it Friday (and for all we know, Saturday too). Further, you never told anyone of your self-imposed time parameters until Saturday afternoon. Your Saturday response did not address why you did nothing on Friday. You describe tusabes' response as condescending (misspelled) and uncalled for - I think your response to tusabes was just that. Talk about a "pissy"(quoting you, now) response! "Luckily for you, I'm here to help" -?? You came to the forum seeking help. That kind of arrogant remark to someone trying to help isn't going to get you much help at all - from anyone here, let alone tusabes.

And yes, I treat "I wanted to know the answer immediately rather than waiting until Monday" to be a demand - since when you made the statement, you were also busily insulting tusabes for not meeting your immediate needs, and for giving you an "untimely" response.

I understand the time line all too well, and it clearly shows your effort to weasel out of responsibility for your own rudeness.

As for minding my own business - this is an open forum. I have been around it for a long time. I do know how it works. No, I have not offered anything to you regarding your car's problem - not even citing you to the most current edition of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia I compiled. It has a lot to do with your attitude, which is a problem.

As for being a "post deputy" - no, not here - just on the four other MB forums that I moderate. But I don't have to be a "post deputy" to see the rudeness in your attitude toward a member who has contributed a lot here - and that is a relevant topic, easily within the context of your latter posts, which I chose to address.

Please, please don't change your screen name. I hope you'll use it on other MB forums as well. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Damn!

Let's summarize it in words op can understand /

Op thinks he is hot stuff bc he bought a cheap used s600, but it turned out to be one needing work he can't afford to have done by a dealer.

He is likely not a businessman or educated person accustomed to dealing with people well, probably of the facebook and txt msg generation, and is scared to actually talk to someone on the phone like a reasonable human being.

The end result is he is left with a broken s600 and no one who will ever help him on these forums again

Hopefully he will use more resourcefulness, as nobody will come help him when he has another simple problem, like not knowing to pull out the blade key from His key fob
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...side-rant.html

He exhibited similar arrogance and self importance to both mb roadside and the toe truck driver, this guy is a real piece of work
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Chris you just all ''Fake" get that AMG decal off your fake s600.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by classyS

Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM

opposite-lock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyS

Originally Posted by Vabene7
Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R500
to own a S600 you should have ~5-6k on the side to rebuild the suspension when it goes out, at least another 5k-6k for when it starts to leak oil, and another 5-6k put away for when an ignition coil acts up and the motor mounts need to be replaced, and all the other miscellaneous repairs a car like this WILL need just to own it for the next few years.

you should expect to easily spend anywhere from $5-15K+ over the first few years depending on condition of your car. if you didn't expect this then you're in for a whole lot of heartache.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM

I have no problems at all understanding the time line. Post #11 covered this in brief - but you seem determined to remain willfully ignorant of the time line, because it doesn't help your story. So here it is in depth.
You're about to be the one who needs to clench. I can't believe you insist on continuing this but just remember - you brought it on yourself.

12-08-2011 - a Thursday evening - you post your request for help, and comment "can you let me in on how hard I should expect to have to clench when I bend over at the dealer?"
Yup, that's what I typed.

12-09-2011, early Friday morning - tusabes provides a reply mentioning recall (a dealer item), mentions figures for repair varying from free to expensive, depending on items - that you would determine only through a dealer, who would know whether the recall applied to your situation, and to what extent.
Early morning Friday? Hey Einstein, tusabes post, the one you mention above, occurred at 5:27 PM. Do you know what "PM" means re: reading the clock? Early Friday morning WHERE?

12-09-2011, Friday evening - Once again you resist talking to a dealer, and want a website. A bit more than an hour later, cmpcpro recommends a dealer so that you can get information. 18 minutes later, tusabes asks you why you wouldn't want to talk to a dealer. You have clearly let at least one opportunity pass.
I responded at 6:02 PM, clearly too late to talk with a dealer on a Friday. Does the MB dealer service department stay open that late where you live? You may not understand that I'm on the west coast.

The only dealership within 200 miles is CLOSED Saturday and Sunday. All others roll up the carpets at 5:00PM Friday (FYI 5:27PM > 5:00PM). I don't know why you can't comprehend this fact. My suggestion is you look in the mirror while reading this so while your lips are moving you have two opportunities for communication.

12-10-2011, early Saturday afternoon - you provide your list as to why you don't want to contact a dealer. Its reasoning is specious.
1) You didn't want to wait until Monday - a situation that did not exist when tusabes first replied; you had all day Friday. You're trying to back that one in.
As so it continues...

2) The closest dealer is 60 miles away - sorry, tusabes nailed that one. Phones DO cover distances of 60 miles and more, easily. By this time, we're trusting your story about as much as your fake AMG badge.
Again, they surely do if there's someone there to answer them. Please learn to read a clock and calendar.

As for the badge, the car came that way. I'm leaving it there because guys like you who get all wrapped up in this kind of thing make me laugh. You should really stop taking yourself so seriously.

3) You state your dislike of dealers, at least yours, again - "...less than honest in order to extract bales of cash for more fix than I need" Aha, the truth of it!! Your dislike for dealers was already clear, and now you have confirmed why - you drive an expensive car, but don't think you should have to spend what is necessary to maintain it. Unfortunately, as tusabes and cmpcpro had already told you, you needed to contact your dealer. Your dislike of dealers wasn't going to change that.
Only a fool would pay more than is required for anything. As for disliking dealers, I thought what I typed was semi-funny and assumed others might thing so, too. Rip me for a bad sense of humor but your attempt to get at me because I don't feel the need to overpay for repairs is moronic.

12-12-2011, Monday - a bit tired of your games, tusabes calls it, and spells it out in detail: "No one else has this info and you can't find it online." And he is correct. He also points out the logical inconsistencies in your response.
This was just what I was looking for. The "last I checked" crap was unnecessary and the entire cause of my reaction.

12-13-2011, Tuesday - you snap at tusabes - but contrary to your accusation, he had not missed your point. He understood it in your first post. You were slow on the uptake, and cmpcpro spelled it out for you - but still, you had resisted their advice (and the correct answer), and did not act on it until Monday - criticizing tusabes as if that were his fault. You accuse tusabes of an "untimely" response - it wasn't. His first response would have sent a logical person to the dealer, and you had plenty of time to act on it Friday (and for all we know, Saturday too). Further, you never told anyone of your self-imposed time parameters until Saturday afternoon. Your Saturday response did not address why you did nothing on Friday. You describe tusabes' response as condescending (misspelled) and uncalled for - I think your response to tusabes was just that. Talk about a "pissy"(quoting you, now) response! "Luckily for you, I'm here to help" -?? You came to the forum seeking help. That kind of arrogant remark to someone trying to help isn't going to get you much help at all - from anyone here, let alone tusabes.
I could continue to call you both out for not reading times/dates but what's the point? If neither of you can read what the site shows then you've got a bunch more to worry about than the likes of me.

And yes, I treat "I wanted to know the answer immediately rather than waiting until Monday" to be a demand - since when you made the statement, you were also busily insulting tusabes for not meeting your immediate needs, and for giving you an "untimely" response.
Again you can't help but embellish in a pathetic attempt to strengthen your weak position.

I understand the time line all too well, and it clearly shows your effort to weasel out of responsibility for your own rudeness.
Could it be that your version of this site shows different information than mine?

My initial post: Thursday evening
tusabes post: After COB Friday
my response: even more after COB Friday
cmcpro next response: an hour after mine Friday
tusabes next post: 7:23 PM PST Friday (what dealer should I call now?)
my response Saturday: more explaining my Friday posts than anything

Your inability to understand this baffles me.

As for minding my own business - this is an open forum. I have been around it for a long time. I do know how it works. No, I have not offered anything to you regarding your car's problem - not even citing you to the most current edition of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia I compiled. It has a lot to do with your attitude, which is a problem.
LOL. It was YOU that said you wouldn't respond to my posts. Apparently you can't walk your own talk. Maybe you shouldn't make promises you can't keep...

Last edited by Chris250; 12-18-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Damn!

Let's summarize it in words op can understand /

Op thinks he is hot stuff bc he bought a cheap used s600, but it turned out to be one needing work he can't afford to have done by a dealer.
What an asinine bunch of assumptions. You're living up to your earlier posts.

He is likely not a businessman or educated person accustomed to dealing with people well, probably of the facebook and txt msg generation, and is scared to actually talk to someone on the phone like a reasonable human being.
And the stupid continues...

The end result is he is left with a broken s600 and no one who will ever help him on these forums again

Hopefully he will use more resourcefulness, as nobody will come help him when he has another simple problem, like not knowing to pull out the blade key from His key fob
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...side-rant.html

He exhibited similar arrogance and self importance to both mb roadside and the toe truck driver, this guy is a real piece of work
Maybe but at least I'll know the difference between the use of "tow" versus "toe".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another ABC thread