S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Does anyone have this sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s430
Does anyone have this sound?

Hi all I was wondering if other people have this problem. When I start the car after its been sitting all night for the first three minutes or so it makes a weird noise like ticking sound. After I start driving it the sound goes away or if it stands for 3-4min after its warmed up the sound goes away
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Recognizing sounds can be tough to describe, is the sound more of a chirp than a tick? That's usually a belt. Does it have a metallic sound to it? Does it sound tinny, like sheet metal? Or solid, like a piece of metal?
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Can be valve tap at cold start if it's ticking from upper engine area and goes away once warmed up. Check oil level, and possibly change to different viscosity.

Bruce
Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
I would say little bit of both

Originally Posted by MB-Dude
Recognizing sounds can be tough to describe, is the sound more of a chirp than a tick? That's usually a belt. Does it have a metallic sound to it? Does it sound tinny, like sheet metal? Or solid, like a piece of metal?
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 R500
the oil passages to the lifters are pretty tiny on these motors and a little bit of sludge buildup over time can make it that much harder for the oil to make it's way up there from a cold start. mine was tapping like crazy from a cold start when I got it. I did a motor flush, then ran some seafoam in the crankcase, then next oil change switched out to lucas and now it's quiet as a baby, even from a cold start. if your against a motor flush as many seem to be then I'd say at least try some seafoam in the crankcase
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by turbocad6
... I did a motor flush, then ran some seafoam in the crankcase, then next oil change switched out to lucas and now it's quiet as a baby, even from a cold start. if your against a motor flush as many seem to be then I'd say at least try some seafoam in the crankcase
I, too, have had good success with Motor Flush. Follow the instructions to the letter and it does seem to clean things up, internally. In fairness, I do not make it a regular habit, using it but once when I acquire a used car. Even then I only use it if I feel there is sludge, etc. in the crankcase.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SFBIGBODY415
I would say little bit of both
Worn belts can make funny noises. So if it's anything like a chirp, review the belt. If the ticking seems to follow the RPM exactly (one tick per 2 revs) then it's probably the valve train. The posts above cover that aspect and are good.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Thanks for the help guys! Yeah its only when cold start the car drives fine. If I don't do the flush will this lead to bigger problems in the future?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
In the summer my 2002 S430 was sitting 5 weeks. At the re-start it did a lot worse than ticking, it was a strong knocking noise from the engine for about 10 - 15 seconds. I drove immediately to my private MB specialized workshop for an oil change (I did not have at home even quart of oil).

No noise since but it was not tested for such a long no-drive period, 4 days was the longest.

It is not a good idea to starve the engine of oil at every cold start, evetually you may destroy the bearings, it is a major and expensive repair unless you can DIY. I had to have it on my Saab many years back, I do not want even think about the same job on my MB.

You should try to figure out where exactly the noise is coming from, ask someone to start the cold engine while you use a stethoscope onseveral parts of the engine, find the spot wher it is the worst. Do not let the case rest until you find cause and eliminate the cold start ticking. Let's hope that a proper oil change woul help.

I am planning to do Motor Flush with Service B coming soon myself, so please someone direct me to the manual of doing the flush and exactly how to use the seafoam.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
My oil level is fine in fact I just changed the oil a week ago this has been going on for few months. I always warm up the car for about five min before I start driving. Should I not warm it up I know BMW's are not suppose to be warmed up is it the same with these cars?

Originally Posted by trombone
In the summer my 2002 S430 was sitting 5 weeks. At the re-start it did a lot worse than ticking, it was a strong knocking noise from the engine for about 10 - 15 seconds. I drove immediately to my private MB specialized workshop for an oil change (I did not have at home even quart of oil).

No noise since but it was not tested for such a long no-drive period, 4 days was the longest.

It is not a good idea to starve the engine of oil at every cold start, evetually you may destroy the bearings, it is a major and expensive repair unless you can DIY. I had to have it on my Saab many years back, I do not want even think about the same job on my MB.

You should try to figure out where exactly the noise is coming from, ask someone to start the cold engine while you use a stethoscope onseveral parts of the engine, find the spot wher it is the worst. Do not let the case rest until you find cause and eliminate the cold start ticking. Let's hope that a proper oil change woul help.

I am planning to do Motor Flush with Service B coming soon myself, so please someone direct me to the manual of doing the flush and exactly how to use the seafoam.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
I thought you can't use seafoam on these engines?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 AM

BMW
Can be valve tap at cold start if it's ticking from upper engine area and goes away once warmed up. Check oil level, and possibly change to different viscosity.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 AM

W220
Is it a ticking or a knocking sound?

A slight ticking sound may be the fuel vacuum pump that occasionally runs then shuts off when the car is started. I too, do not hear it if the engine is warm, but I think it only runs when the pressure in the fuel tank drops over night.

Open the hood, exactly left to the driver's side fuse box there is a little reservoir. The ticking sound comes from there when the car is started in the morning, check it out.

If its the cylinders, listen carefully whether or not you will be able to identify if the sound is louder from either side of the car. Listen by the wheel well both sides, and also with open hood from top. There is a special tool for this procedure as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM

2003 S430
so what if it starts ticking after it warms up? what does that mean ?

thanks