S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic v. ABC Handlig?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550
Airmatic v. ABC Handlig?

How big of a difference is there between Airmatic and ABC handling? Never driven an ABC car.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
Originally Posted by ChapelHillMBFan
How big of a difference is there between Airmatic and ABC handling? Never driven an ABC car.
Funny, I was thinking to myself this morning as I was flinging my car around an on-ramp that given a choice, I will definitely go with another ABC equipped vehicle. I speak from experience of having had all three setups; although I do not take any of the vehicles to the track, I am a spirited driver.

I previously had a C32 ///AMG which had neither airmatic nor the hydraulic ABC, but was a very stiff suspension and could not be adjusted. Definitely loved it, but it was a light car designed for speed and weekend track use.

I presently have an E500 with the Airmatic and an S600 with ABC. I think it's a night and day difference in the ride between the two but definitely when cornering either of these heavy vehicles.

The E500 airmatic I feel is more "bouncy". Hard to describe it - not floaty, but rather high sprung. You're definitely driving on air-bags. There is also a noticable "lag" while it tries to figure out what's going on before adjusting when pushing it around a corner. It struggles to keep up, even in the sport-2 setting. On a daily drive, I HATE the comfort setting (too soft). That being said though, I do recall liking the overall ride of the airmatic sport-2 setting compared to the C32's plain-jane setup. Don't get me wrong, I do like it and would opt for it before another regular setup, but compared to the S600, there is no comparison. Even my daughter who just started driving can tell the difference between the two.

My favorite is the ABC setup hands down. the S600 ABC "sport" setting keeps the car dead level around the corners and lane changes. Even the "Comfort" setting is grand, and smart enought to stiffen up when needed. The Sport ride is definitely firm but with a supple and refined feel and has never rattled the teeth except when eating a Chicago pothole (which also resulted in a bent rim and torn tire). Especially given the size and weight of the car, I can't imagine it with anything other than this setup. Makes it feel *almost* as spry as the little C32. It's also definitely the most "dynamic" and solid feeling of the two as well, responding instantly - even with a load of 5 passengers the ride does not suffer. Absolutely love it!

My advice is to drive both side by side and you will understand clearly. Just my 2c.

Last edited by marktan; 05-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
ABC is definitely more well controlled, but neither will wow you in handling.

its a big heavy luxury car. Anyone that tells you that it handles like a sports car is either lying or hasn't really driven a sports car.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by Oliverk

its a big heavy luxury car. Anyone that tells you that it handles like a sports car is either lying or hasn't really driven a sports car.
Why does everything have to be so black / white with you?

ABC *will* wow you... considering the packaging.

Anytime I can hammer ramps and twisties in a 4600lb car with ***zero body roll*** carrying absurd speeds that are merely limited by lack of stickier / bigger tread - I am "wow'd".

And yeah I've "really driven" um er uh 'a few' sports cars (DBS/GT2/3/RS/F550M/F355/Testiclroaster/328/Lusso etc.etc.etc.)...

...while an ABC'd W220 is not a sports car, it can sure emulate one with particular aplomb.

(generally speaking) Maybe try to be a little more open minded and a bit less standoffish 8-). Just sayin'.

anywho... Mark summed it up very well IMO - great personal experience, shared... that should answer your question spot-on
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM

2007 CLS550
Wait. Wait. Wait. You've driven a Lusso???!!! Wow. How was THAT to drive??? Stunning car. One of my favorites.

Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz

Anytime I can hammer ramps and twisties in a 4600lb car with ***zero body roll*** carrying absurd speeds that are merely limited by lack of stickier / bigger tread - I am "wow'd".

And yeah I've "really driven" um er uh 'a few' sports cars (DBS/GT2/3/RS/F550M/F355/Testiclroaster/328/Lusso etc.etc.etc.)...

...while an ABC'd W220 is not a sports car, it can sure emulate one with particular aplomb.

(generally speaking) Maybe try to be a little more open minded and a bit less standoffish 8-). Just sayin'.

anywho... Mark summed it up very well IMO - great personal experience, shared... that should answer your question spot-on
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

2007 CLS550
I understand both Oliver and Serge's points of view. I definitely think Airmatic cars should handle better. My steel-sprung E350 had much better handling than my Airmatic CLS550 and far better handling than my Airmatic S500. And, I'm not sure weight and ride quality are entirely to blame. I recently drove my Old Man's 2012 Audi A6 3.0T, which weighs about the same as my S500, and its ride and handling compromise was absolutely amazing. It was so much more athletic than even my CLS550, but yet it rode every bit as well, probably better. I've also driven my neighbor's 2010 CTS-V, which also weighs about the same as my S500, and it's ride and handling compromise was incredible too (granted, it is a much more performance-focused car, but it's ride with the magnetic suspension was still very smooth). So, unless I find the Airmatic in an E63 much more sporting, I am thinking I may not buy another Airmatic car, which is what got me thinking about the relative handling of Airmatic vs. ABC. If I stick with MB, that would probably leave me looking at an S63.

Can anyone throw out some other performance-focused cars that use an air suspension?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by ChapelHillMBFan
Wait. Wait. Wait. You've driven a Lusso???!!! Wow. How was THAT to drive??? Stunning car. One of my favorites.
8-)

Agreed, one of my faves as well - truly stunning.

Client / friend of mine had one years ago (later sold it, and the prices have since near doubled!), '63, Rosso / black. Let me wail away 45-50mi of CT's finest desolate backroads with it one summer day (also the F355 Spider F1 Fiorano and F550 Maranello heh heh)

It was surprisingly solid and sure footed, a bit truck-like in some regards - ginormous Nardi steering wheel providing reduction, and the direct shifter affording very long and positive throws. The throttle seemed to go on forever as the Webers opened wide. Brakes were pretty decent, albeit nominally wooden in feel.

As you have very well read, there is simply nothing (NOTHING) like the sound of a Lampredi V12 - esp giving one the full beans... both inside the car and out - intoxicating, to say the least.

Wound it up to mid 6's and no more out of respect / fear of $$$, not the fastest car by any means (modern day minivans would hammer on it all day, and then some), but it was a supreme grand tourer providing a quite rewarding driving experience. Very gentlemanly...

but, an ABC'd W220 does not wow me

8-)!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I agree with every above about ABC guys. I have autocrossed her and road raced her and MANY fellow drivers were AMAZED at the lack of body roll on a 2.5 ton tank, LOL

Although she is no track car for sure, for the size and weight, the ABC does a FANTASTIC job of body control. Just pray it never breaks as it costs as much as the car these days, LOL

Note: I took second out of 10 or 11 cars in the autocross:-)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz

Disagree.

Every 220 every made, regardless of body roll, understeers badly, beats the hell out of the front tires by rolling onto the sidewall, has a high CG, basically zero steering feel, and easily reveals its weight in a series of switchbacks.

you cannot deny the laws of physics. Airmatic is garbage for handling, abc is marginally better.

Its a luxury car, i don't even know why we are having this argument.

As for me being standoffish, thats just the way I am. I think you type poorly, but I recognize that some people are just the way they are.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM

opposite-lock...
Disagree.

Every 220 every made, regardless of body roll, understeers badly, beats the hell out of the front tires by rolling onto the sidewall, has a high CG, basically zero steering feel, and easily reveals its weight in a series of switchbacks.

you cannot deny the laws of physics. Airmatic is garbage for handling, abc is marginally better.

Its a luxury car, i don't even know why we are having this argument.

As for me being standoffish, thats just the way I am. I think you type poorly, but I recognize that some people are just the way they are.
I type poorly? I don't think I've ever once made a typo on this forum, my speed / proficiency is pretty stupendous actually!

Ooooooh... you must mean my posting style. Um, yeah - it's not for everyone... it's intentionally different, whimsical, FUN (try it sometime), and never boring (snoooooooze) (I'll never be accused of being boring but you'll often be known as standoffish).

And hey, I type so poorly... that... I've been published numerous times in 2 international car mags. Makes sense!

Sweet tho(!!!)... hey at least you are aware you are standoffish - that's 1/2 the battle 8-)

"Argument"? Interesting choice of words... I think most consider this debate but...

Again... it doesn't have to be so black / white - for what it is (a large behemoth) ABC cars handle pretty damn good. Understeers badly and beats the hell out of the front/outer tires? Ummm... maybe (just maybe)... it's your technique? D'oh. Try a different line 8-).

just sayin

now, a 993tt... talk about defining a sports car w/ understeer heh heh...
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
I don't think th OP was questioning if these sedans are sports cars, simply the difference between airmatic vs ABC. Granted it was asked on a W220 forum, so we naturally assume he is asking about the sedans, but certainly the other vehicles such as the SL have ABC as well. I don't think anyone here implied or even blatantly stated that our sedans would hold a candle to the likes of true sports cars as far as handling. however, given the parameter of vehicles within or close to its class, I think they handle quite well.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
lol either way guys, all of us own a very brilliant technology developed by MB..

now i could imagine a 800+tq s65 after the turn - letting his opponent apex this turn like bait.