S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S600 Transmission filter fell off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
S600 Transmission & acceleration issues now...help

I knew I jinxed myself when I told my wife the other day that my car had had 4 months of trouble free driving...

2005 S600, 722.6 5-speed.

So ~7 months and ~15k miles ago, I replaced the the transmission conductor plate because the turbine speed sensor died and kept thrownig the car into limp home mode (3rd gear). At that time, my shop said the trans fluid was looking a little dark and had very fine metal bits (suspended in the fluid) at the bottom of the pan, but given the mileage, they said it was not surpising. So I had the fluid (Fuchs Titan), filter (ATP), conductor plate, wiring harness plug, and trans mount all replaced. Drove like a champ...

The last several months, I've noticed my mileage decreasing, relative to my norm. On long highway drives, I could squeeze out 18-19mpg, but now I'm at 15-16mpg highway and 11-12 instead of 12-13 city now. Not huge, but noticeable.

In the last month or so, I just started to notice the car has been a slow to engage Drive after reversing out of the driveway. Nothing major, just a lag that felt longer than "normal". I attributed this to cold Chicago winters. Fluid level is ok (checked w/ my MB dipstick when at temperature), although it was looking a little dark again when wiped onto a white shop towel. Once things are warmed up after a few minutes, it drives strong including chirping the tires into 2nd gear if I really get on it.

The other day, cold start, driving out of my subdivision, I got a slip and shudder when accelerating (slowly) from the stop sign at the end of the block. Freaked me out. So I immediately dropped her off at the mechanics to check on things.

They just called to say that when they dropped the pan, the trans filter was just laying on the bottom of the pan and that there are some metal shavings down there as well. He said he was going to replace the filter with a new one, refill the fluids (I gave him 12 qts) and see how it runs, but he was very concerned about the condition of the transmission and said it was probably on its way out.

I know the owner very well, trust him implicitly, and have been going to this shop for years. Would the trans filter falling off cause the aforementioned issues, shudder when cold, but fine when warm? Or am I just trying to convince myself things aren't as bad as they probably really are and plan for a transmission rebuild?

For what it's worth, I also plugged in my Star DAS/Xentry and polled the transmission control unit before dropping her off. She shows absolutely no TCU fault codes; current or stored.

UGH! Should have kept my mouth shut!!!

Last edited by marktan; 03-25-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM

2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
So I went to pick the car up from the mechanic. Tried driving away, and the traction control light went nuts flashing and started modulating the rear brakes and cutting the engine power. Don't know if this is related at all, but I had them replace the front rotors and pads as well as the front wheel bearings. Rear wheels never came off the car. So I left it there for them to look at again tomorrow. The guy who actually worked on the car was already gone for the day. Any ideas as to what could be going on? Perhaps a wheel speed sensor?? Help!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
OMG!! You have some serious issues going on there. Yeah, you definitely screwed the pooch when you ran off at the mouth with the wife. You were just asking for it by commenting on the "reliability" of the S600.

NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Keith
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Keith you are so right, and I'm kicking myself. This is what happens when I try to maintain her...turns into a nightmare.

So I'm confident it's a speed sensor/bearing issue. If i put the car in dyno mode (ESP/BAS OFF) it drives fine. turn them back on and the traction control light goes bonkers and won't let me go. Plugged in DAS/Xentry and it won't read either of the front sensors. I'm wondering if the Beck Arnley tone ring in the bearings aren't being picked up by the sensor? Is there a separate fuse for the fronts and rears (I can't find anything about it so I'm not 100% sure.). I'm having a hard time believing both went bad. Both bearings were replaced so I'm leaning towards those being at fault...unfortunately, they already tossed the old ones, so I can't exactly have them put those back on...
Am I on the right track, or perhaps missing something?
Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Always, always, stick with MB/OE parts, at least OEM. After market will give problem and cost more in a long run.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'm reasonably sure that the neck of the filter would prevent it from falling out of the valvebody before it came into contact with the bottom of the trans pan.

The only thing that really holds it in is the o-ring and a little clip. If you jostle the pan too much when removing it, its conceivable that it could fall out.

Before you freak out, wait till you get it back from the other repairs and see what happens.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by haoz129
Always, always, stick with MB/OE parts, at least OEM. After market will give problem and cost more in a long run.
Very wise words, Howard. I'm living proof of that.

The transmission appears to drive ok when I had it in dyno mode to diagnose the issue. Which is good, since that news saved my marriage.

My Beck Arnley sourced wheel bearings ($70/each) plus $100 for the mechanic to install them along with new rotors (3rd set) and pads. So $250 out the window for a non-functional attempt at simply maintaining the vehicle. Attempting to see if I can return the bearings since they are obviously not compatible with the vehicle.

My mechanic called the dealer (MB Westmont is awesome...Naperville not so much) and explained the situation. The dealer stated that the S600 needed the entire hub assembly replaced with the bearings pre-packed in them @ $250/each for the part. While I doubt he will (because he's such a great guy), I certainly wouldn't fault my mechanic if he charged me another $100 to remove the improper part that I supplied and reinstall the right ones (Call it an idiot tax).

As fate would have it, this morning on the drive into the office with my wife in the E500, the "break wear - visit workshop" light came on!!! LOVELY...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
I'm reasonably sure that the neck of the filter would prevent it from falling out of the valvebody before it came into contact with the bottom of the trans pan.

The only thing that really holds it in is the o-ring and a little clip. If you jostle the pan too much when removing it, its conceivable that it could fall out.

Before you freak out, wait till you get it back from the other repairs and see what happens.
Oliver, thanks for that. I was thinking it couldn't fall "too far" while the pan was on. Once I get the speed sensor/bearing issue worked out, I'll run her thoroughly and see what happens w/ the tranny.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
I would call Beck Arnley and talk to their engineering support, and ask for some help with the problem.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Got the car back, transmission seems to be running fine, the new hub assembly with bearings from the dealer worked flawlessly.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marktan
Got the car back, transmission seems to be running fine, the new hub assembly with bearings from the dealer worked flawlessly.
Great news Mark.

Never, Never try after market on this car. I believe the OE parts specification for this car is pretty high which makes most of the after market parts fall short.
Everytime I drive the S600 I feel it is not a passenger car, instead it feels more like a dump truck kind of heave machine.
After market parts, not only introduce trouble which cost more for sure, but also sows risk-seed in your future trips, not worth it.

Wish she is all good now and enjoy.

Howard