S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

How can u put car in neutral broken key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can u put car in neutral broken key

I dropped my key in the pool and I I need to tow my car over to the dealership but the car is not responding to the key is there a way of getting the car into neutral without the key ??
Old 05-30-2014, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
get into the car and bang hard on the shifter top with a mallet and towel protecting the shifter while pulling the shifter back into R.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by benz_addict
get into the car and bang hard on the shifter top with a mallet and towel protecting the shifter while pulling the shifter back into R.
Seriously ?? Lol
Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S 320
!!

Last edited by baldsparky; 06-01-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
That fix is when you have the broken plastic piece in your shifter preventing the lever from moving . If you do this to a functioning shifter , you will likely also break it.

Do not do it.

The dealer can supply you a new key without needing your car , they just need the vin number and proof of ownership .

Take your registration papers to the dealer , have a new key made , then you can drive the car. Hopefully you can leave it parked where it is till you can get the new key

Last edited by tusabes; 06-01-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S 320
Originally Posted by tusabes
That fix is when you have the broken plastic piece in your shifter preventing the lever from moving . If you do this to a functioning shifter , you will likely also break it.

Do not do it.

The dealer can supply you a new key without needing your car , they just need the vin number and proof of ownership .

Take your registration papers to the dealer , have a new key made , then you can drive the car. Hopefully you can leave it parked where it is till you can get the new key
I have removed the post showing the benzworks tutorial/video on getting the S class out of park.
Rich from Benzworks specifically states using this method when you have no power ?

If the plastic locking piece is damaged or broken using this method then I feel the video is misleading by not stating this.

Until the content of the video can be validated as being safe to do without causing shifter or component damage I feel I have done the right thing removing it from the site.

Thank you for putting us right on this one Tusabes.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Agreed, Tusabes is absolutely correct.

Do NOT bang on the shifter to get it out of park. That will only break the already-fragile shifter in these cars!

Two options

1. (easiest) Use metal key to open door, get registration out of the car and take it to an MB dealer. They'll have you a key in a few days. I believe they can overnight them in emergencies like yours.. depends on the dealer. All keys come from Texas and I believe they make them same day. You'll need registration, 2 pieces of ID, and you'll have to sign a form for TRP (theft relevant parts) both when you order the key AND when you pick it up. Some dealers have a stupid rule where they need to see the actual car.. call around and find a dealer that doesn't require this otherwise you'll have to tow it....

2. (harder) have the tow truck/flatbed use dolly wheels to raise the rear wheels, then they can pull it onto the flatbed just fine. They do this all the time.. guess how they tow illegally parked cars which are in "park"? Same way! Last time I checked locally, they charged about $30-50 more for hooking up the dollies.. some include it in their price and some charge it as a separate fee.. ask when you call. I think AAA requires them to include it in the basic hookup charge "if required".

So either tow the car there or just go order a key. Don't touch the car otherwise and don't mess with the shifter.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 AM

Facelift GLC43
I could be wrong, but shouldn't the key still work even if it gets water damaged? from what i know, the car reads they key, not the other way around...the same way you should still be able to start the car even if the key batteries are dead, which means the key doesn't need electricity to "work".
Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Dead keys can be fixed