S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Teeth rattlingly hard suspension.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Teeth rattlingly hard suspension.

I have a fault...obviously. Rather than glide over all sorts of road in supreme comfort my car is so hard m teeth may fall out.

The car has ABC,. The spheres seem to be fine because everything is kept nice and level and the suspension cycles through all three heights with no help from the engine.

So, a soft ware glitch? It's like the ABC sport button has been pushed in and then some.

Ant ideas?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
How much does the fluid level in the ABC reservoir change when you start the engine?

Nick
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 PM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
How much does the fluid level in the ABC reservoir change when you start the engine?

Nick
The levels are correct at idle and engine off which is why I was discounting a ruptured sphere.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by renault12ts
I have a fault...obviously. Rather than glide over all sorts of road in supreme comfort my car is so hard m teeth may fall out.

The car has ABC,. The spheres seem to be fine because everything is kept nice and level and the suspension cycles through all three heights with no help from the engine.

So, a soft ware glitch? It's like the ABC sport button has been pushed in and then some.

Ant ideas?
Replied on Benzworld - BLUF: I think the accumulators are blown.

They don't last forever, and I would replace them and then flush the fluid. They're not hard to do, please see my post on the other forum.

Cheers,
Old 09-09-2017, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 765 Posts
2003 CL 600
Blown accumulators don't give hard ride, they give noises and pressure drops over large bumps resulting in the flashing white/red warnings over large dips/bumps.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I agree with ItalianJoe, those accumulators will flash a light on the dash when going over a large bump or railroad tracks. With the car off for at least 10 minutes try pushing down on each corner. The car should barely move if the accumulators are working properly.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Blown accumulators don't give hard ride, they give noises and pressure drops over large bumps resulting in the flashing white/red warnings over large dips/bumps.
On various forums the answer comes back as the accumulators. Yet, I don't get flashing messages on bumps and there is a very very big bump on a particular road I know which means I have to take it very slowly now because the bump from the rear is huge.

I thought that one of the symptoms of bad accumulators was that the pump would have to act harder to raise and lower the car...it doesn't. The car rises and lowers quickly on the button with no drop in engine revs. This suggested to me that the accumulators were good.

Also the fluid levels are correct at idle and engine stopped.

In this article:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html

there is mention of the "tuna boat ride" in the fourth section of the troubleshooting summary. I was thinking this could be the problem...though not sure what the cause is.

I have ordered one of the big acccumulators for the rear to see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 765 Posts
2003 CL 600
People saying accumulators, don't understand their function. Most people don't.

They have nothing to do with lifting, the pump provides pressure, they act as storage tanks for pressurized fluid either on the feed or return side depending on which one you are talking about.

If you don't get excessive fluid drop or overflow, they probably aren't blown. But they could be, and once they are totally filled, no further fluid drop will be noticed.

If they are 5+ years old, they could just be bad. Do you know for certain they were replaced before? If not, replace them all. They wear with time/age, so replacing one rarely addresses all the issues.

As far as the tuna boat ride, that's the opposite of what you have. That's when there's a major fault and the system locks, and goes fully passive. It can no longer dampen the body motions, and the car is reliant on the soft steel springs and shocks, it bounces all over the place. I felt that on my car when the system blew out, it was terrible to drive like that. No hard impacts, but the car wallowed and felt very unstable in general.
The following users liked this post:
renault12ts (09-13-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 170 Likes on 141 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Valve blocks might be stuck?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl 500
abc problém

[QUOTE = ItalianJoe1; 7262513] Les gens qui disent accumulateurs, ne comprennent pas leur fonction. La plupart des gens ne le font pas.

Ils n'ont rien à voir avec le levage, la pompe fournit de la pression, ils agissent comme des réservoirs de stockage pour le fluide pressurisé soit à l'alimentation ou au retour en fonction de celui dont vous parlez.

Si vous n'obtenez pas de gouttes excessives de liquide ou de débordement, elles ne sont probablement pas soufflées. Mais ils pourraient l'être, et une fois qu'ils sont totalement remplis, aucune autre goutte de fluide ne sera remarquée.

S'ils ont 5 ans et plus, ils pourraient tout simplement être mauvais. Savez-vous avec certitude qu'ils ont été remplacés avant? Sinon, remplacez-les tous. Ils portent avec le temps / ge, de sorte que le remplacement d'un adresse rarement tous les problèmes.

En ce qui concerne le tour de thon, c'est le contraire de ce que vous avez. C'est à ce moment-là qu'il y a un défaut majeur et que le système se bloque et devient totalement passif. Il ne peut plus amortir les mouvements du corps, et la voiture dépend des ressorts en acier doux et des chocs, elle rebondit partout. J'ai senti que sur ma voiture quand le système a explosé, c'était terrible de conduire comme ça. Pas d'impacts durs, mais la voiture se vautrait et se sentait très instable en général. [/ QUOTE]
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by assia
[QUOTE = ItalianJoe1; 7262513] Les gens qui disent accumulateurs, ne comprennent pas leur fonction. La plupart des gens ne le font pas.

Ils n'ont rien à voir avec le levage, la pompe fournit de la pression, ils agissent comme des réservoirs de stockage pour le fluide pressurisé soit à l'alimentation ou au retour en fonction de celui dont vous parlez.

Si vous n'obtenez pas de gouttes excessives de liquide ou de débordement, elles ne sont probablement pas soufflées. Mais ils pourraient l'être, et une fois qu'ils sont totalement remplis, aucune autre goutte de fluide ne sera remarquée.

S'ils ont 5 ans et plus, ils pourraient tout simplement être mauvais. Savez-vous avec certitude qu'ils ont été remplacés avant? Sinon, remplacez-les tous. Ils portent avec le temps / ge, de sorte que le remplacement d'un adresse rarement tous les problèmes.

En ce qui concerne le tour de thon, c'est le contraire de ce que vous avez. C'est à ce moment-là qu'il y a un défaut majeur et que le système se bloque et devient totalement passif. Il ne peut plus amortir les mouvements du corps, et la voiture dépend des ressorts en acier doux et des chocs, elle rebondit partout. J'ai senti que sur ma voiture quand le système a explosé, c'était terrible de conduire comme ça. Pas d'impacts durs, mais la voiture se vautrait et se sentait très instable en général. [/ QUOTE]
From Google translate:

People who say accumulators, do not understand their function. Most people do not.

They have nothing to do with lifting, the pump provides pressure, they act as storage tanks for the pressurized fluid either to the feed or to the return depending on the one you are talking about.

If you do not get excessive drops of liquid or overflow, they are probably not blown. But they could be, and once they are fully filled, no other drop of fluid will be noticed.

If they are 5 years old or older, they could just be bad. Do you know for sure that they were replaced before? If not, replace them all. They wear with time / age, so that the replacement of an address rarely all problems.

As for the tour of tuna, it is the opposite of what you have. This is when there is a major fault and the system crashes and becomes totally passive. It can no longer cushion the body's movements, and the car depends on mild steel springs and shocks, it bounces everywhere. I felt that on my car when the system exploded, it was terrible to drive like that. No hard impacts, but the car was sprawled and felt very unstable in general.