S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

C1144 ERROR Airmatic pressure sensor (fault at B7) really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w220
C1144 ERROR Airmatic pressure sensor (fault at B7) really?

Hi guys

I have got a problem with my w220
I get airmatic visit workshop error after few minutes of driving. In this time, compressor is working all the time until I stop the vehicle. When compressor stops running, then I get this message on instrument cluster, after that the pump is kicking in every ~10minutes and runs for about 1-2 minutes.
The car appears to maintaine its height and it is not dropping overnight or overweek, all fittings tested, they had no leaks,
Compressor's efficiency is good (13.5bar)
SD shows 0.00bar in every strut and central resevoir due to this I can't test anything for leaks or test pressure relief valve or compressor unit
That is obvious that air is present on each strut and central reservoir (I tested it by slighty unscrewing a nut next to reservoir and I've heard air escaping)
Relay changed
Vehicle rises and lowers as expected with the button on dash
I have tested pressure relief valve and its wiring everything OK
Replaced pressure sensor and it is the same situation
Replaced airmatic unit; nothing changed
Tested wiring to the pressure sensor but I did not test the output signal, only the power supply for this sensor (it's OK)
I have noticed that after shutting of the engine and getting out of vehicle, sometimes I can hear the pump engaging for 1 second.
Can be there more related components that can trigger this error?
Sorry for my bad english
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you are using Star simply double click on the fault and follow the diagnostic instructions to understand what you are doing!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine 2005 S430 4Matic * Wife's 2005 S430 4Matic *
I had an issue once last year with my wife's S430 where the wire connector wouldn't seat fully in the airmatic valve block. I had to use a pair of large pliers to squeeze it together so it clicked. I then tested it again with the SDS and it worked. I was really surprised it was that difficult to seat the connector fully.

Hopefully it's something easy to fix.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 AM

w220
Originally Posted by Plutoe
If you are using Star simply double click on the fault and follow the diagnostic instructions to understand what you are doing!
I followed the instructions in DAS and there was said to check the airmatic relief valve (especially for corrosion), its resistance and wiring to it,
The problem is, I don't have free access to DAS, because it belongs to my friend
Thank You for reply
Old 01-05-2018, 05:16 AM

w220
Originally Posted by The Shoeman
I had an issue once last year with my wife's S430 where the wire connector wouldn't seat fully in the airmatic valve block. I had to use a pair of large pliers to squeeze it together so it clicked. I then tested it again with the SDS and it worked. I was really surprised it was that difficult to seat the connector fully.

Hopefully it's something easy to fix.

Good luck.
Which connector? That one which goes to sensor (3pin) or valves (6pin)?
Thank You for reply

// UPDATE
I ve noticed that connector to pressure sensor sits tight but conncetor for valves (6pin) was slighty poped out, now is secured and it sits very tight too.
Test drive and... still airmatic visit workshop error popped out
I've decided to check the output voltage of pressure sensor which I didn't do in previous try.
The output voltage is 0,22V no matter if the engine is on or off, or if pump works or not it is constant 0,22V (checked it for 2 pressures sensor)
I found out the output volage should be beetween 0,5V-3,5V (0,5V is for 0bar I guess..)
So what can make that the voltage is not in the range? A corroded wire for the signal?
I don't have access to SD right now

Last edited by mbowner11; 01-06-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine 2005 S430 4Matic * Wife's 2005 S430 4Matic *
Originally Posted by mbowner11
Which connector? That one which goes to sensor (3pin) or valves (6pin)?
Thank You for reply

// UPDATE
I ve noticed that connector to pressure sensor sits tight but conncetor for valves (6pin) was slighty poped out, now is secured and it sits very tight too.
Test drive and... still airmatic visit workshop error popped out
I've decided to check the output voltage of pressure sensor which I didn't do in previous try.
The output voltage is 0,22V no matter if the engine is on or off, or if pump works or not it is constant 0,22V (checked it for 2 pressures sensor)
I found out the output volage should be beetween 0,5V-3,5V (0,5V is for 0bar I guess..)
So what can make that the voltage is not in the range? I corroded wire for the signal?
I don't have access to SD right now
I'm sorry I couldn't remember which connector was giving me a hard time, but it appears you found a similar issue. As long as both connectors are firmly seated and 'clicked' into position, they should be connected. Sitting tight might not be 'clicked' though....make sure it's in ALL the way.

Regarding your car still giving the "visit workshop error"....I'm not sure but you may NEED the SDS to reset it. I don't know because I had the SDS hooked up to my wife's car when I was dealing with the suspension issue.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2018, 01:59 PM

w220
The pressure sensor plug is clicked into position I'm 100% sure
I'll try to get SDS to reset as You said
Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Check the wiring to air magic unit, did you try another valve block?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:50 AM

w220
Recently I didn't have so much time to take care of that problem that's why I didn't reply to thread, sorry
I have discovered the wiring from B7 to airmatic control unit was soldered (and it was very well hidden) so I stared to measure voltages before these soldered points but I forgot to check the signal voltage.., there are my observations (c1144.pdf file)
Erasing error with SDS won't work, the problem is still exists but.. when the arimatic error pops out on instrument cluster, whole system seems to work as it should (maintaince its high, lowers and rises as excepted and pump works only when it should) only the pump sometimes engage for 1-3 seconds when I shut down the engine and get out of the car. The fastest way to trigger error on cluster is to pushing the raising button on dash to raise the vehicle and after 1 second push it back to normal level. After 2 or 3 times error is present on instrument cluster and pump is finally calmed down.
I checked what SDS says to check or replace when C1144 error is present (nothing spectacular)
- check the signal wire to B7
- airmatic pressure sensor B7 (unlikely.. 2 damaged sensors?)
- power supply to B7 (see attached file)
When I get some conditions (right now is very cold and my garage is occupied by another vehicle) to checked the V4 voltage I hope that I'll finally find the problem
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
c1144.pdf (36.2 KB, 423 views)