S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Benz shows off Brake Assist on TV...and new S CRASHES!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Benz shows off Brake Assist on TV...and new S CRASHES!!

Man, talk about bad press. It just didn't work....guess I wouldn't be driving with my foot off the brake in the ole new S. Not that you ever would, but the way they pumped it....you kinda dreamed.

As you probably know, the new S-Class features a host of safety features not found on any other vehicles, one of which is a new Brake Assist Plus feature. If you're unfamiliar with Brake Assist Plus, it's a system that uses radar to detect traffic that may or may not be visible to the driver, and in the event that braking force is needed to prevent an accident, the Brake Assist system kicks in and supplies the necessary stopping power.

Mercedes recently decided to demonstrate this safety feature for Germany's Star TV, but unfortunately for the donor S-Class, all didn't go as planned.

To showcase the Brake Assist Plus feature, a test track was set up, complete with heavy fog and a hidden stationary test vehicle, to compare the previous S-Class to the forthcoming 2007 model. The previous S-Class was then sent traveling down the track, which collided with the stationary vehicle due to the low visibility.

Next, it was time for the 2007 S-Class to perform the same test, but thanks to Brake Assist Plus, the safety system was supposed to kick in and stop the vehicle in time. Guess what? It didn't work. The S-Class traveled down the track, collided with the previous S-Class, which then collided with the stationary test vehicle.

After closer inspection, the Mercedes engineers believe the failed test came as a result of the high steel and concrete construction of the testing facilities throwing off the Brake Assist Plus' radar, but assures drivers in real world conditions, the system will work as planned.

The moral of the story is this: if you're driving an S-Class, you're an intelligent individual. Regardless of whether or not the safety systems work, reading the Wall Street Journal, conducting a conference call and drinking a café latte while traveling at 70+mph is never a smart idea. Remember kids, there's no substitute for safe driving.
Attached Thumbnails Benz shows off Brake Assist on TV...and new S CRASHES!!-16mercedessclassfailscrashtest.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Man, that sure is bad press. But I still think its the best out there. This was just one test gone wrong out of how many? Wow, it held up so well.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
pwnd.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Ooooops!

Ooooops!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:51 AM

The magazine that conducted this test did so in a metal shed. This interfered with the cars radars, and is not a reflection of the real world performance of the system. The car covered over 8 million kilometers of testing. The sytems was tested in tunnels, bridges etc. and worked perfectly. When in the real world would you be using this system indoors?

The system is not at fault, the test is.

But alas stupid magazines are going to jump on this failed test and repeat it over and over again.

Last edited by Mercedes Benz #; 11-17-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
haha this would make great fodder for the mags! i can imagine clarkson talking about this very soon lol. expect to see a blurb of it in every test drive from now on.

it might be a problem with the test track, but hey, something screwed up. i personally don't see why a radar directed to the front should be affected by the metal and concrete surroundings. but hey, i've no engineering background.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 AM

03 E500
Man this is not good.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 AM

shoulda got the Japanese to make the computers for them, some people never learn.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
New S class Distronic faux pas!

The new S Class has a 2nd gen system that can bring the car to a full stop....supposedly anyway.

http://www.askaprice.com/torque-art...ration&item=669

This can't be a good omen for the debut of the all new S Class, probably the most complicated mass production car ever built...esp given their recent track record.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Braheem
shoulda got the Japanese to make the computers for them, some people never learn.
Let me be the first to tell you that my 2004 TL has many of its own problems. Look at the Prius, it has software issues. So in theory the Japanese are not the best. Its hard to argue who is THE BEST. Get your head out of your *** and smell the real worls moron.

The test was skewed, its as simple as that.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Unfortunate, nevertheless speaking of brakes did you know the new S also has an electronic parking brake that is activated by pressing a small lever on the dashboard? Curious though for those who already own or are in the know, does it automatically engage when the vehicle is stopped and the engine turned off, and disengage when the vehicle is put into gear? As a matter of reference, BMW’s current version can be set to automatically engage when you stop the vehicle and turn off the engine.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
If you are Mercedes and making a demonstration on TV about your latest innovation....

....make sure you got all the 'kinks' worked out LOL

Demonstration results in 3 car pile up
Old 11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
(In best Homer Simpson voice) - Doh!!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by ruykava
it might be a problem with the test track, but hey, something screwed up. i personally don't see why a radar directed to the front should be affected by the metal and concrete surroundings. but hey, i've no engineering background.
I have no emgineering background either (I'm only 14), but...
Radar...enclosed building, radar...enclosed building
You do the math.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
konigstiger: The Jaguar (I think it's the S type) also has it. I think it's kinda lame and cheap, but whatever ya know?

W221 technology didn't work. That's kinda funny.
I don't buy the excuse of the metal on metal distracting the radar. So what happens when we're driving on a road with those metal side railings?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:25 PM

2001 E320 Sport
That must have been very very embarassing to say the least.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

I merged the thread in Off Topic with the one in the W221 forum.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
W221 technology didn't work. That's kinda funny.
I don't buy the excuse of the metal on metal distracting the radar. So what happens when we're driving on a road with those metal side railings?
Well ricky, this was a fully enclosed metal building.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

So? I don't understand why that would make such a difference to really screw up the test.

But hey, it might
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Radar bounces off thingies to the car in the front, and it bounces back to the S. When you're in an enclosed building that would throw it off.

Think of the S as yourself. Your in an empty building. You say something, it echos back. Can you pinpoint the exact location of where the echo came from?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Let me be the first to tell you that my 2004 TL has many of its own problems. Look at the Prius, it has software issues. So in theory the Japanese are not the best. Its hard to argue who is THE BEST. Get your head out of your *** and smell the real worls moron.

The test was skewed, its as simple as that.
Do me a favor add me to your ignore list and I'll add you to my ignorant list.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Braheem
Do me a favor add me to your ignore list and I'll add you to my ignorant list.
Consider it done you troll. Lets see Lexus invent something. Oh wait, they just copy.

If you have no intentions of buying an S class why come here? You dont even sound like an auto enthusiast at all. I have yet to see one positive comment from you. Lexus this, Luxus that.... boo hoo. They drive like crap, and look like ****.

The new LS is just a joke. They couldnt even design their own exterior for the love of god. oh wait, thats because they always copy BMW or Mercedes for their flagship models.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by asianml
Radar bounces off thingies to the car in the front, and it bounces back to the S. When you're in an enclosed building that would throw it off.

Think of the S as yourself. Your in an empty building. You say something, it echos back. Can you pinpoint the exact location of where the echo came from?
Excellent example. Radar is a really high frequency from what I remember of my physics courses, therefore it is bound to bounce off of walls, which in this was were made of metal.

What happened here is that the radar bounced off the car in front of the W221 and was scattered elsewhere, not allowing the W221 to get a proper reading as it was picking up multiple frequenices with varying amplitudes. we called it radio interefence, and car makers test each and every car for such interefence with radar, sonar, and other RF.

Do this same test in a real world application and it will work fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Excellent example. Radar is a really high frequency from what I remember of my physics courses, therefore it is bound to bounce off of walls, which in this was were made of metal.

What happened here is that the radar bounced off the car in front of the W221 and was scattered elsewhere, not allowing the W221 to get a proper reading as it was picking up multiple frequenices with varying amplitudes. we called it radio interefence, and car makers test each and every car for such interefence with radar, sonar, and other RF.

Thank you.

Well lookee there, a 14 year old high school freshman answers the question no one else could answer. Now after all that thinking I gotta rest a little, got a test in Biology tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
It's not the S-Class' fault. As I said in the W221-

asianml

and here is MB FANATIC to back me up-
MB Fanatic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benz shows off Brake Assist on TV...and new S CRASHES!!