S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

MB Styling on New models...S Class in particular

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
MB Styling on New models...S Class in particular

I was at my Dealer tonite, again, and while I was waiting for the paperwork, I checked out a new S Class.

Its pretty ugly in person. Not that its stunning in pictures. I think this one jumped the shark. The front of the car is OK, the new lights are a let down...they have an aggressive shape, but they lack the jewel like quality Ive come to expect on the Bi-Xenon lamps of the new CLS, the E, SL, SLR and the CLK and C-Class. These could have been off a new Ford, or a Nissan...oh wait, the ones on the fuga, er M in the next bay were nicer. The new big grille is kinda cool. The rest of the exterior is just awkward looking. The car believe it or not, looks small. The wheel bulges look like a Ford Focus. And everything aft of the C pillar is ****. It not only has the bangle but, but its hidden worse than on the 7 series.

On the inside, I did like everything except for the 7 series-esq dashboard. The new gauges are pretty wild. Its all a computer display. I'm not sure if this one had a problem, or they all did this, but the Nav system never shut off, even with the Key out. Just glowed dimly, with a faded map visible in the dim grey. I'm guessing its not supposed to do that.

I'm not a fan of the new design, and if I were in the market for a land yacht like this one, I think I would take the 7 series, based on looks anyway. Perhaps it does drive sooo much better? But I didn't drive it today, so I can't say.

Anyone else had a look up close? What did you think>
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outland
I was at my Dealer tonite, again, and while I was waiting for the paperwork, I checked out a new S Class.

Its pretty ugly in person. Not that its stunning in pictures. I think this one jumped the shark. The front of the car is OK, the new lights are a let down...they have an aggressive shape, but they lack the jewel like quality Ive come to expect on the Bi-Xenon lamps of the new CLS, the E, SL, SLR and the CLK and C-Class. These could have been off a new Ford, or a Nissan...oh wait, the ones on the fuga, er M in the next bay were nicer. The new big grille is kinda cool. The rest of the exterior is just awkward looking. The car believe it or not, looks small. The wheel bulges look like a Ford Focus. And everything aft of the C pillar is ****. It not only has the bangle but, but its hidden worse than on the 7 series.

On the inside, I did like everything except for the 7 series-esq dashboard. The new gauges are pretty wild. Its all a computer display. I'm not sure if this one had a problem, or they all did this, but the Nav system never shut off, even with the Key out. Just glowed dimly, with a faded map visible in the dim grey. I'm guessing its not supposed to do that.

I'm not a fan of the new design, and if I were in the market for a land yacht like this one, I think I would take the 7 series, based on looks anyway. Perhaps it does drive sooo much better? But I didn't drive it today, so I can't say.

hehe..you're a bit accurate...it is a bit awkward looking..but its grown on me...this will be the body style for 7 years to come so i think im forced to deal with it..i think a diferent combo color will make the car more appealing than the standard demo blk/blk..barely worth 85,400 with 795 dest..but *** it its a mercedes
Old 01-13-2006, 02:22 AM

Mercedes all the way!
i shall not be drawn into a discussion regarding the styling of the W221 again, but the 7-series is a complete design disaster in my books.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I kinda like the 7 series refresh and its even better in person. I never thought I would buy one, but heck, I got a great deal on the car and it was worth every penny.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:53 AM

05 CLK 320

What ?? , did you test drive the new S-Class. Test drive the car and then give us comments on how it drives or compares to the piece of **** they call a 7 seires.

You cannot even compare the dash to the 7 series, it looks and feels much better, and ofcourse, the COMMAND is so easy to use. It has some sense of intelligence built in, for example the controller will limit to the axis of the menu rather than giving all the x-y-z movement by default.

If you get a chance go the dealer and drive the nightview equipped car during the night, and just spend an hour or so looking at everything they did to the Car, and you will be plesently surprised.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 AM

05 CLK 320
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
I kinda like the 7 series refresh and its even better in person. I never thought I would buy one, but heck, I got a great deal on the car and it was worth every penny.
Hey, any pictures of that wonderful stable of yours ?, are you getting yoru parents the new S-Class ?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Red face hmm

I'll agree with you, the car isnt that great when its "standard", but when i saw the Kleemann version of it, i fell instantly in love with it...

I saw a black S500 at the "launch" in Denmark, and was not convinced that it it was worth swapping my W220 for... it looked small, like you said, when i left the dealership, there was a silver S500 parked outside (must have been out on a testdrive when i arrived) it looked alot better, but like i said, when i saw the Kleemann S50 , i fell in love....

Have a look for yourself... :
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/thecars/sclassw221

Theres hi-res pics here:
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/downloads/wallpaper

Last edited by Dane.se; 01-13-2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: adding a link
Old 01-13-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by cracker123
Hey, any pictures of that wonderful stable of yours ?, are you getting yoru parents the new S-Class ?
Yes, my father wants a new S600, though I am pushing for a S65. More than likely I will get him a S600.

And sorry but no pics, my wife broke our digital camera a while back and to be honest I dont have the time to go buy one nor do I care at this point since she has learned to use my wonderful 35mm camera with its wide array of lenses and flashes. Quite frankly the pics seem better on that puppy than my comparable digital camera for some odd reason.

Though, when we do buy one I will be the first to take all sorts of pics lol, house, cars, you name it.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Walgreens will happily put pictures on CD for you. I think it's actually cheaper than printing them on paper.

That's how I finally got my mother into "digital" photography.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
No camera in your cell phone
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 PM

The wheel bulges look like a Ford Focus. And everything aft of the C pillar is ****. It not only has the bangle but, but its hidden worse than on the 7 series.

Anyone else had a look up close? What did you think
I really don`t see whats so crappy the design aft of the C-Pillar!

I think the new S is fantastic and the S65 as shown here is out of this world!

Last edited by GTA7.5; 01-14-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 AM
ON PROBATION

Latest comments from chairman of AMG were that they were going to seriously consider going with 'edgier' styling on the future AMG's....looks bad for the Visitors?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:29 AM

2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Man that front spoiler/bumper on the S65 is very cool.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:19 AM

05 CLK 320
The thing is we are used to a very conservatily designed S-Class's, so this one really does not fit that bill , so some people dont seem to like them.

As for me, I think they look awesome sporty, and perfect.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by cracker123
What ?? , did you test drive the new S-Class. Test drive the car and then give us comments on how it drives or compares to the piece of **** they call a 7 seires.
As I said, I didn't get a chance to drive it. It was the only one they had, and given that it was sitting in the service entrance, I'm guessing for the nav problem, it likely wasn't even an option.

You cannot even compare the dash to the 7 series,
Why? They sure do look alike. I'm of the opinion that copying a competitor's designs only works if your version is drastically cheaper. Otherwise, its like there's a lack of fresh ideas in the designers.

If you get a chance go the dealer and drive the nightview equipped car during the night, and just spend an hour or so looking at everything they did to the Car, and you will be plesently surprised.
I remember the nightvision thing on the Cadillac's of ten years ago. I'm sure if I had driven the car, I could have found some nice things to say about it. However, I was just commenting on what I thought of the styling, and the new interior.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by GTA7.5
I really don`t see whats so crappy the design aft of the C-Pillar!
You posted pictures of the AMG version, which , I think, has a slightly better look. The flared fenders fit better with the lowered ride.

On the standard car, the rear bumper is a mess, IMHO, I don't like the dorky two tier taillights, and the trunk lid reminds me of a Plymouth Breeze. In all honesty, seeing the car in person, I was pretty dissappointed.

I agree with the poster who said we all are used to a conservative S Class, but I don't think this is really that edgy.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Dane.se
I'll agree with you, the car isnt that great when its "standard", but when i saw the Kleemann version of it, i fell instantly in love with it...

I saw a black S500 at the "launch" in Denmark, and was not convinced that it it was worth swapping my W220 for... it looked small, like you said, when i left the dealership, there was a silver S500 parked outside (must have been out on a testdrive when i arrived) it looked alot better, but like i said, when i saw the Kleemann S50 , i fell in love....

Have a look for yourself... :
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/thecars/sclassw221

Theres hi-res pics here:
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/downloads/wallpaper

Ive seen pictures in black, and I think that helps. It hides a lot of the body lines that really show in silver.

I like that Kleeman version!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:08 AM

SL
You posted pictures of the AMG version, which , I think, has a slightly better look. The flared fenders fit better with the lowered ride.

On the standard car, the rear bumper is a mess, IMHO, I don't like the dorky two tier taillights, and the trunk lid reminds me of a Plymouth Breeze. In all honesty, seeing the car in person, I was pretty dissappointed.

I agree with the poster who said we all are used to a conservative S Class, but I don't think this is really that edgy.
What do you care? obviously the S is not targeted to C230 buyers. I mean it's normal that you dun like it.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by phonetics
What do you care? obviously the S is not targeted to C230 buyers. I mean it's normal that you dun like it.

Thats a pretty Snoobby remark..... Just because the guy has a C class, his opinion doesn't count...?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:19 PM

Hmmm... I have yet to see one, even still, in person. But as I see more and more pictures of the car, it does appear that the fender bulges make up a good amount of its width.

It does look pretty narrow.

As far as styling goes, well,.....Let's just say I agree with the majority of former S-Class clientele on that part.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by DslBnz
Hmmm... I have yet to see one, even still, in person. But as I see more and more pictures of the car, it does appear that the fender bulges make up a good amount of its width.

It does look pretty narrow.

As far as styling goes, well,.....Let's just say I agree with the majority of former S-Class clientele on that part.
All dealers should have their W221 displays by now.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Idiot.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
Thats a pretty Snoobby remark..... Just because the guy has a C class, his opinion doesn't count...?
You have to have at least an SL in your sig, or on your avatar to have an opinion about this car....didn't you get the memo?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 PM

2004 Hummer H2 - Keepin it stock...2006 Range Rover Supercharged ''Sleeper''
I second that motion
Old 01-20-2006, 12:08 AM
ON PROBATION

You guys are like bullies on the street corner! Shame, shame. Now off to home and dinner, the lot of you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Styling on New models...S Class in particular