S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Satellite Radio antenna installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Satellite Radio antenna installation

I thought I'd throw this out in case anyone didn't get Sirius in their S550, or prefers XM (like I do).

My biggest obstacle was where to put the antenna. I didn't want to put another antenna thingie on the outside of the car, but the interior glass has that coating that thwarts antennas, toll road transponders, etc.

The answer: The cowl that covers the sensors, right behind the rear view mirror. If you curl your finger into the edge of the cowl, there's a nice space to get your finger in. Gently pull until it pops out.

Right ABOVE the sensors is a small space. Use some velcro or double stick tape to hold the micro antenna in place there, then gently replace the cowl. Then use something thin and non-scratching to press the antenna wire between the windshield and dash (my wife's batter scraper worked wonderfly... hah!).

You'll still have the decision of how to get your satellite unit power and whether to cut into the fm antenna lead or use an fm transmitter, but at least ONE major obstacle is complete.

** Note: I don't have Night View, so I don't know if there is still the space for a micro antenna where I described. Have fun!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:03 PM

ML350 '06
XM Radio

Originally Posted by JAdmiral
I thought I'd throw this out in case anyone didn't get Sirius in their S550, or prefers XM (like I do).

My biggest obstacle was where to put the antenna. I didn't want to put another antenna thingie on the outside of the car, but the interior glass has that coating that thwarts antennas, toll road transponders, etc.

The answer: The cowl that covers the sensors, right behind the rear view mirror. If you curl your finger into the edge of the cowl, there's a nice space to get your finger in. Gently pull until it pops out.

Right ABOVE the sensors is a small space. Use some velcro or double stick tape to hold the micro antenna in place there, then gently replace the cowl. Then use something thin and non-scratching to press the antenna wire between the windshield and dash (my wife's batter scraper worked wonderfly... hah!).

You'll still have the decision of how to get your satellite unit power and whether to cut into the fm antenna lead or use an fm transmitter, but at least ONE major obstacle is complete.

** Note: I don't have Night View, so I don't know if there is still the space for a micro antenna where I described. Have fun!

I'm looking to have XM Radio installed vs. Sirius but do you have pics on your setup? Will this setup work through the Comand? For example, can I select the Satellite button on my Comand and then browse the stations or do I have to use another radio (which is what I don't want to do)?

Thanks,
Nick

PS I bought the Pioneer "Inno" (the portable unit) the other day and took it to the ballpark. It works really good btw but it's about 1 play behind live play. Wish those satellites were better!

Last edited by Nickerz; 06-19-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:21 PM

07' S550
Their is a kit you can buy aftermarket from XM or many other places on the internet, called "XM Direct" which can run through your COMAND. The kits are mfg. specific, so you will need to get the one for Mercedes. I don't know if it works on the new S550/S600 but you will still need a to use a new antenna, which comes in the Kit.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:39 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Nickerz: No, I didn't take pictures, but there isn't much to illustrate. If you pop that cowl cover right behind the rear view mirror, you'll see what I mean.

...and as far as I knew, you could only work an aftermarket satellite radio installation by tuning to the right frequency on your radio. So you don't need a 2nd radio in your car, but you wouldn't get that slick COMAND-integrated radio. But if rstone is right...

RStone: Do you know for sure that the XM Direct unit will integrate with COMAND? I would LOVE to be able to see the channel names, song titles, etc right on my COMAND screen. I'd be surprised if it did considerting the Daimler/Sirius union. I'll contact XM and see what I can find out.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 PM

07' S550
Acccording to XM... the XM Direct package for Mercedes and BMW vehicles will allow your Satellite-Ready radio to have XM Satellite Radio service fully integrated. Once installed, there will be no other devices on your dashboard for a finished, factory installed look and feel. You will be able to change adjust volume, channels, and set up presets with your existing Satellite-Ready Mercedes/BMW factory radio.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:33 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by rstone
Acccording to XM... the XM Direct package for Mercedes and BMW vehicles will allow your Satellite-Ready radio to have XM Satellite Radio service fully integrated. Once installed, there will be no other devices on your dashboard for a finished, factory installed look and feel. You will be able to change adjust volume, channels, and set up presets with your existing Satellite-Ready Mercedes/BMW factory radio.
I e-mailed XM and asked if it is compatible with the S550 COMAND. If it's like you said, rstone, I'll be ecstatic. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 PM

ML350 '06
Yeah, thanks for the info rstone! Keep us posted JAdmiral and I'll do the same if I find out anything different.

Here is a link that sells the direct package...

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/in...OD&ProdID=3968

Nick

PS Congrats on your new S!

Last edited by Nickerz; 06-20-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:56 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Well, I got a response from XM Radio... directing me to the equipment manufacturer (sigh). I called Crutchfield.com, and they said the XM Direct doesn't support the 2006 or 2007 S-Class. Damn.

Anyway, After e-mailing Terk (manufacturer of XM Direct), I found a NEW XM Direct unit coming out mid 2006-- one that integrates with any radio that supports RDS. As I understand it, RDS (Radio Data System) is where a station can transmit data during the broadcast-- usually in the form of a station ID, song ID, or advertisement.

I looked in the M-B owners manual (excuse me... the "Operator's Manual". Lovey, fetch me another mint julep!) and I could find no specific mention of RDS. However, on page 94, it does reference the station ID being displayed if the station is broadcasting it.

Anyone know definitively whether the COMAND radio supports RDS?

The Terk unit in question can be seen here: http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4946&langId=-1

P.S.: On an unrelated matter, the Owner's Manual is your friend. More details in a post to come.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Well, I got a response from XM Radio... directing me to the equipment manufacturer (sigh). I called Crutchfield.com, and they said the XM Direct doesn't support the 2006 or 2007 S-Class. Damn.

Anyway, After e-mailing Terk (manufacturer of XM Direct), I found a NEW XM Direct unit coming out mid 2006-- one that integrates with any radio that supports RDS. As I understand it, RDS (Radio Data System) is where a station can transmit data during the broadcast-- usually in the form of a station ID, song ID, or advertisement.

I looked in the M-B owners manual (excuse me... the "Operator's Manual". Lovey, fetch me another mint julep!) and I could find no specific mention of RDS. However, on page 94, it does reference the station ID being displayed if the station is broadcasting it.

Anyone know definitively whether the COMAND radio supports RDS?

The Terk unit in question can be seen here: http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4946&langId=-1

P.S.: On an unrelated matter, the Owner's Manual is your friend. More details in a post to come.
No help on the satellite radio J but I like your new signature!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
No help on the satellite radio J but I like your new signature!
Thank you, NJ... I just tweaked it a bit more.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:46 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Another great place to put the antenna is under the plastic grilles on the hood near the windshield. Satellite signals go through plastic and fiberglass no problem. That's where I put mine on the E55 no hole in the trunk for me!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:31 AM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by pas
Another great place to put the antenna is under the plastic grilles on the hood near the windshield. Satellite signals go through plastic and fiberglass no problem. That's where I put mine on the E55 no hole in the trunk for me!
I considered that, but I didn't want to have to deal with the wire hugging the hood hinge and possibly gettin caught in the hinge when opened/closed. I guess I would have attempted it if my solution hadn't been doable. Thanks for the input.

As a recap from my previousl question, apparently no M-B radio supports RDS. Damn. Still working with TERK to see if their XM Direct will work with the '07 COMAND radio. Stay tuned...
Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
I considered that, but I didn't want to have to deal with the wire hugging the hood hinge and possibly gettin caught in the hinge when opened/closed. I guess I would have attempted it if my solution hadn't been doable. Thanks for the input.

As a recap from my previousl question, apparently no M-B radio supports RDS. Damn. Still working with TERK to see if their XM Direct will work with the '07 COMAND radio. Stay tuned...
On my car I was able to follow the washer tube to avoid that. My sugesstion was more for people considering installation that couldn't use the location you found, sounds like you found a good spot for it.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:09 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
search

do a search of the forums on sirius install, this has been gone over and you'll find a lot of useful info
Old 06-26-2006, 01:42 PM

2008 S550 4MATIC
I had a great install on both my cl500 and my s430 by a local radio shop, who placed the antenna under the vent on the top of the hood. Completely invisible and great reception.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey J...just saw on TV that SIRIUS would buy XM but thinks the regs and rules might interfere with the purchase. You could install SIRIUS and wait for the merger then you would have both...LOL

Sorry J...had to lay that on you...:-)
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 AM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Hey J...just saw on TV that SIRIUS would buy XM but thinks the regs and rules might interfere with the purchase. You could install SIRIUS and wait for the merger then you would have both...LOL

Sorry J...had to lay that on you...:-)
Yeah, said in true NJ style...

Actually, while it's possible to get FCC approval, I'm not sure the Dept. of Justice would be thrilled. Besides, Sirius is still reeling from purchasing Howie, and has Martha to pay. XM has made more frugal deals with Opie & Anthony (they're funnier than Howie, too) & Oprah. And having had XM, I was surprised how bad the Sirius reception is in comparison.

But I digress. We could argue which is better, but the argument is similar to what wheels look right on the S550.

And we ALL know that AMG is stock, right NJ?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But I digress. We could argue which is better, but the argument is similar to what wheels look right on the S550.

And we ALL know that AMG is stock, right NJ?
Let's not open that can of worms J...but they are stock on my car...