S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

oh dear...w221 convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
oh dear...w221 convertible

S-class goes topless, and it’s a ragtop.
November 2006

A convertible version of Mercedes-Benz’s S-class luxury sedan might be on its way to production. Expected to debut as a concept vehicle at the Detroit show in January, the cabrio will eschew a retractable hardtop in place of a traditional clothtop. If it makes it into production, the S-class cabrio is likely a year away from showrooms.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...nvertible.html
Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Awesome, another winner, along with a headturner.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 PM
JLP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Why not?
This thing will be huge in SOBE and LA........how many full size 5 seater luxury convertibles are out there? They will have that market all to themselves.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
That's pretty insane to make a convertible flagship...

It's gorgeous no doubt but still pretty
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I think it is great. Looks fine as a 'vert. Better to hack the top off than put some of those god awful body kits and rims on it. Like the old 300d's from the 50's.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

If this thing goes on HARDTOP~ I will trade mine to new one.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you check the actual mag in small small print is says "artist's rendition" so I doubt there is anything firm...yet
Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
It looks okay with the top down, front view. But put the top up, and it reminds of the old Cadillacs.

Booooooooooooooo!!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:31 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
With the right rims,and exterior color ,all the naysayers will have that jawdropped look of amazement. It's only a matter of time....
Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
So what happens when you roll it over?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:26 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
You get up ,dust your convertible off,and drive away...
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Not sure whether I like it or not. I LOVE long autos but I feel it almost looks too long? It would have to be something I would need to see in person to decide. A 4 door conver. though that is awesome, no more putting the seats forward
Old 11-02-2006, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
too long? get the SE instead of the SEL Would I buy one if i could afford it? no, but i still think it will look great.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by Oxygen
So what happens when you roll it over?
I rolled my 400E almost a year to the week... In my case, the car slid on the hood and windshield and not on the roof, so... the odds of rolling such a car in the first place are low, then add to that how you would end up on your top.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

F248 F1
not feeling it...specialy if its rag top
Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Like I said before, it may look good and be cool, but it would be a joke to have the S as a convertable....I would probably never buy a MB again. If they did do it it would be a CL not a S...they share the same chassis, why would they use the 4 door instead of the super coupe...which would actually make sense?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by cy0811
Like I said before, it may look good and be cool, but it would be a joke to have the S as a convertable....I would probably never buy a MB again. If they did do it it would be a CL not a S...they share the same chassis, why would they use the 4 door instead of the super coupe...which would actually make sense?
Umm.... So you'd never buy an M-B again, even though you presumably have one that you like, because of a model you don't have to buy? Oookay then.

The answer is that 4-door convertible used to be very fashionable, very elitist things. Laundaulets and phaetons all spoke of prestige and wealth. Lincoln's Continental 4-door convertible was the premiere Lincoln vehicle in its time, and that was the last factory 4-door 'vertible. The reason to use the S-Class for the job is that it would be unique and uncompromising. Rich people don't like to be scrunched, and scrunched is the operative word for the rear seats on a CL. So, if you want the sun in your face and you carry passengers, a 4-door convertible would be the only choice. In the modern era of safe cars, 4-door cabrios present unique technical and safety challenges, and I'm sure M-B thinks that it would be a fantastic feather in their cap to be the first to build one to meet all regulations in forty years (Gennadis and the like don't have to be tested for crash purposes, etc.).

To those who pine for a hardtop: it's extremely unlikely. To store a folding metal roof of that size would probably consume the entire trunk of the car. Plus, it would be insanely complicated, and you'd be running even greater risks of jams and the like.

I doubt I'd want one, but it's sure to be an intriguing vehicle, regardless of whether they put it into production. Can't wait for Detroit to see for myself. For the very limited market niche, it should be a very exclusive and interesting choice.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 AM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by carsinamerica
Umm.... So you'd never buy an M-B again, even though you presumably have one that you like, because of a model you don't have to buy? Oookay then.

The answer is that 4-door convertible used to be very fashionable, very elitist things. Laundaulets and phaetons all spoke of prestige and wealth. Lincoln's Continental 4-door convertible was the premiere Lincoln vehicle in its time, and that was the last factory 4-door 'vertible. The reason to use the S-Class for the job is that it would be unique and uncompromising. Rich people don't like to be scrunched, and scrunched is the operative word for the rear seats on a CL. So, if you want the sun in your face and you carry passengers, a 4-door convertible would be the only choice. In the modern era of safe cars, 4-door cabrios present unique technical and safety challenges, and I'm sure M-B thinks that it would be a fantastic feather in their cap to be the first to build one to meet all regulations in forty years (Gennadis and the like don't have to be tested for crash purposes, etc.).

To those who pine for a hardtop: it's extremely unlikely. To store a folding metal roof of that size would probably consume the entire trunk of the car. Plus, it would be insanely complicated, and you'd be running even greater risks of jams and the like.

I doubt I'd want one, but it's sure to be an intriguing vehicle, regardless of whether they put it into production. Can't wait for Detroit to see for myself. For the very limited market niche, it should be a very exclusive and interesting choice.
what he said
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by carsinamerica

Add the suicide doors, a hard-top and a sub-$100K price and I will call my dealer...LOL

I agree it could only be a soft-top. I read somewhere it would be loaded with all the goodies and have special interiors making the price quite above the current sedan...and if they decide to put the V12 in it...it will really be an "elitist" ride.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
Put my vote in for suicide doors.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Add the suicide doors, a hard-top and a sub-$100K price and I will call my dealer...LOL

I agree it could only be a soft-top. I read somewhere it would be loaded with all the goodies and have special interiors making the price quite above the current sedan...and if they decide to put the V12 in it...it will really be an "elitist" ride.
I like the idea, but do you think it could work? Without the roof, I would think that a B-pillar (even if it only came as high as the windowsill) would be almost essential to preserve structural integrity. Let's face it, suicide doors were given the name for a reason. Now, I suppose it could have rear-hinged coach doors, but retain the B-post, a la Rolls-Royce Phantom, but that seems like unnecessary re-engineering when you could more or less keep the standard doors.

I think that it might ONLY be offered with the V-12: it's going to be very heavy. To reinforce a chassis with a 120"+ wheelbase will take a lot of bracing. The 550 engine would be the minimum thing for the job if they wanted to retain any performance edge.

Now all we need is a name....
S-Class Phaeton would confuse people.
S-Class Landaulet will make Americans think of foam vinyl roofs.
S-Class Cabriolet is dull.
SCS-Class, perhaps?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Much of the design could borrow from new engineering techniques that were made for the new CL W216. Remember it too does not have a B pillar.

The 550 engine would more than be adequate, however I get the feeling that it will be available as a 600 for some reason, perhaps to remain its exclusivity. Nevertheless, I cant wait to see what it will look like next year.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Maybe if they gave it a big engine with a SWB.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Much of the design could borrow from new engineering techniques that were made for the new CL W216. Remember it too does not have a B pillar.
True, but it does have a roof, where most of a modern car's rigidity is found, and it's shorter. My guess is that it would add at least 500 pounds.

AsianML might be on to something with the SWB idea, though.

My big worry is that it'll have a basket-handle. Let us pray not.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether it'll have two windshields? Phaetons always did, and the rich don't like have their expensive coiffes disturbed.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:23 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Yo G, dat ***** be off da HOOK!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oh dear...w221 convertible